2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

In summary...

A band plays live music. Some people think they do it well, others less so. There are questions over whether crowd interaction and the liveliness or otherwise of bands impacts the quality of the gig.

And something about Miles Kane. And Woffy's egg sandwiches.

I wish I'd just read this post instead of wading through the last few pages!

It's going to be a long time til June isn't it?

50 minutes ago, Quark said:

I know my skillset. If I overreach and start actually discussing music I'll be exposed for the charlatan I am.

Through reading these boards I've come to accept my taste in music is shite, the stuff I listen to should all be binned, guitars are laughable, stuff obviously recorded with the aim of keeping 12 year olds happy actually has gravitas and significant cultural depth and The Beatles only have one good song.

Learn your place Quark, learn your place.

I’m a big Arctic Monkeys fan, must’ve seen em pushing 10 times now and they’ve been slightly lacklustre every time.

Still, it’s unsurprising many Arctic Monkeys fans find it enjoyable listening to them play their songs.

I hope that can be the end of it.

Edited by Bradders

2 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I’m a big Arctic Monkeys fan, must’ve seen em pushing 10 times now and they’ve been slightly lacklustre every time.

Still, it’s unsurprising many Arctic Monkeys fans find it enjoyable listening to them play their songs.

What makes you keep going back if they're still not that impressive live? I really like them on record but doubt I'd bother paying to see them again. Saw them at Primavera this summer and they were better than before but still not a hugely exciting live act.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Hasn't worked for who exactly? I keep reading that their 2 headline performances were garbage on here yet as a big fan, I thought they came off well on the TV in 2007 and when I saw the 2nd one live in 2013 I thought they were excellent, granted Turner seemed a bit worse for wear in 2013

I mean, it's pretty evident from the many times the discussion has popped up on here that their big fans liked it whilst a lot of other people thought it was a bit shit. I'm not sure why people are getting so butthurt over it.

My favourite band is Radiohead. I loved them last year, but by the sounds of it a lot of non-fans didn't enjoy it so I accept they probably didn't do that good a job of entertaining the neutrals in the crowd, which is something you should really be doing if you're putting on a headline set at a festival like Glastonbury.

As for myself, I'm a fan of Arctic Monkeys and I watched that 2013 set on TV and thought it looked rubbish. I then saw them on the arena tour in 2013 and they were just as bad. I'd began to lose enthusiasm for them as a band but TBHC renewed that a bit for me. I saw them at Mad Cool this Summer, pretty excited for them, but they were just a bit dull again (better than in 2013, mind) - the worst of the 5 headliners there.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bradders said:

You got a constant hankering for lacklustre gigs then? Bizarre ? I must have been ridiculously lucky the 10 times I've seen them. Was only unimpressed by Finsbury, however a lot of that was down to shite sound quality. As soon as I walked in and heard Tame Impala who I was really looking forward to, I turned to a mate and said I hope they sort that sound out. Cack.

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I mean, it's pretty evident from the many times the discussion has popped up on here that their big fans liked it whilst a lot of other people thought it was a bit shit. I'm not sure why people are getting so butthurt over it.

My favourite band is Radiohead. I loved them last year, but by the sounds of it a lot of non-fans didn't enjoy it so I accept they probably didn't do that good a job of entertaining the neutrals in the crowd, which is something you should really be doing if you're putting on a headline set at a festival like Glastonbury.

As for myself, I'm a fan of Arctic Monkeys and I watched that 2013 set on TV and thought it looked rubbish. I then saw them on the arena tour in 2013 and they were just as bad. I'd began to lose enthusiasm for them as a band but TBHC renewed that a bit for me. I saw them at Mad Cool this Summer, pretty excited for them, but they were just a bit dull again (better than in 2013, mind) - the worst of the 5 headliners there.

Agree with a hell of a lot of this. I'm certainly not "butthurt" (literally the most irritating word on earth, up there with 'dench', but I'm not getting butthurt about your use of the word ?), if people think they're poor live, each to their own! I thought Dizzee was embarrassinlgly shite, but there were people near me loving it and that put a smile on my face!

Defending how good I think AM's are, mentioning awards they've had for their live shows and also responding when someone says "they only have one good album", isn't really butthurt. Sometimes text on a forum can be misconstrued. I'm happily debating rather than shouting or arguing ?

p.s. Radiohead 2017 - may have shed a tear or five. Incredible.

Edited by Stokesy10

19 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

What makes you keep going back if they're still not that impressive live?

8/9 times in 13 years isn’t that many really. I’ve mainly caught them at festivals since the first couple of times I went to their own gigs, and went to the recent tour cos my younger brother wanted to go.

5 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Not quite sure how you've come to such a ridiculous conclusion haha. What do you class as broad horizons? I'm an enormous fan of Elton John, Bicep, Gaga, Pink, The music of Oliver Twist, ELO, Green Day, Prodigy, Dusty Springfield, and Arctics are one of my favourite bands of all time... were you thinking it'd be limited to Kasabian and Oasis?

Imagine trying to convince someone you have broad taste in music by listing a load of drive time radio friendly MOR stuff.

I know this is needlessly confrontational for that I apologise but I literally laughed out loud when I read this.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Done. So to be clear - if Mumfords play and headline, I pay Water Aid a fiver. If Mumfords play a scheduled slot, you pay a fiver.

If they don't play or do a secret set, then nothing. We on Mark?

I’ll also put a fiver on if they headline.

45 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Imagine trying to convince someone you have broad taste in music by listing a load of drive time radio friendly MOR stuff.

I know this is needlessly confrontational for that I apologise but I literally laughed out loud when I read this.

Yeh always hearing Oliver Twist classics on Radio 1.

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Done. So to be clear - if Mumfords play and headline, I pay Water Aid a fiver. If Mumfords play a scheduled slot, you pay a fiver.

If they don't play or do a secret set, then nothing. We on Mark?

Aye, 'tis my understanding. And we have some booze regardless.

47 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Plus you can see exactly the point I was making - that you can't pigeon hole someone's music taste because they really like one particular band.

Edited by Stokesy10