2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's still an indicator of an act's cultural cachet. But it's only one of many and arguably one that's way less meaningful than it used to be.

Yep.

When finding oneself overly concerned by chart positions it may be worth remembering that Bob The Builder and Mr Blobby had number one songs but would be very weak headliners.

So outside of The Cure and Paul McCartney, are these the best guesses for 3rd Headliner?

1975 - Rumoured to have been asked to play the festival, arguably are now big enough to headline, but may choose Leeds and Reading.
Stormzy - Rumoured, but only has 1 album.
Mumford & Sons - Rumoured by 2 separate efesters, but are they still relevant?

6 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

So outside of The Cure and Paul McCartney, are these the best guesses for 3rd Headliner?

1975 - Rumoured to have been asked to play the festival, arguably are now big enough to headline, but may choose Leeds and Reading.

to the general public who sold out their last minute arena tour in seconds, yes Mumford and Sons are sadly still relevant

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I saw both at Sziget this year. I know it's a different country and all that but both drew big crowds. 

Stormzy was early on the main stage during a day where people including myself was still arriving. We went still with our bags. I can only imagine he would of been booked for headliner if he guaranteed that a new album would be out, even then unlikely but wouldn't rule out headlining another stage or subbing.

Mumford and Sons headlined the main stage and it was rammed where I was. The new songs went down well and obviously still relevant with decent radio airplay and new album out.

4 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

So maybe best guesses are currently 1975 and Mumford & Sons, with Stormzy 3rd most likely? Anyone else?

Lady Gaga is headliner number 3, none of those chumps are likely at all, the position 'as been filled (quoting Mary Poppins there)

Just now, Wilfko said:

I don't get the Mumford hate on this forum personally. Really good live and a feel good band.. 3 solid albums.. most recent being a departure from the first two. Can someone explain it for me?

We all hate Mumford and Sons because they're really shit

• Like 5
  • Upvote 10

Just now, Tranquility of Solitude said:

FTFY

She's not touring, she doesn't do festivals, now she's a Brit she's going to be gurning her box off in the SE corner by that time anyway, and The Cure, Paul McCartney and Lady Gaga are the headliners so there's no room for no Taylor.

5 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

I don't get the Mumford hate on this forum personally. Really good live and a feel good band.. 3 solid albums.. most recent being a departure from the first two. Can someone explain it for me?

I have a controversial theory that a person's music taste may reflect if they are likely to be critical of artists they dislike, or not.

For example, fans of Mumford, Coldplay and Sheeran may not be the kind of folk to go on an Internet forum to spout how Band X or Band Y are too aggressive and don't have enough pleasant melodies. But its the opposite if you reverse it. Hence, some bands seem to get lots of criticism!

Ok, here's my revised likelihood for 3rd headliner, in order of likelihood ...

1. Mumford & Sons - Heavily rumoured by 2 separate efesters with strangely specific stories! Apparently still popular enough.
2. 1975 - Rumoured to have been asked to play the festival, arguably are now big enough to headline, but may choose Leeds and Reading.
3. Lady Gaga Not sure why people think its likely, but they do. Is she still relevant enough?
4. Stormzy - Rumoured, but only has 1 album.
5. Taylor Swift - People like her.

• Like 1