2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

both could possibly do it mind, how about Dua lipa??

Can't see her subbing. Like George Ezra she'd probably get a fine crowd for it but straight up pop acts don't usually tend to get those slots - see Ellie Goulding playing below Beck in 2016 and Katy Perry below The National in 2017.

I've got her nailed on for third down Pyramid.

2 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

As it stands I'd say this can't be too far off the money. 

If this was definitely the HL's and Subs I'd be very happy. A good mix of acts I'd want to see or be elsewhere. Really don't want to be at the Pyramid each of the 3 nights. First world problems.

Yeah I agree. Out of those there's only The Cure I'd definitely see. I'd probably see Macca if nothing else was on because it could be the only chance I get to see him, and I'd consider seeing Gaga/Stormzy/LDR but I'd be hopeful of something elsewhere to draw me away.

13 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Well yeah not everyone there is gonna be into them (I know a lot of people on here aren't), but Glastonbury has a massive audience of mainstream music fans/Radio One listeners. The people who packed out Adele and Ed Sheeran probably also went to see Beyoncé and Kanye (especially the former), whilst a lot of the more alternative-leaning punters will also have gone to see Kanye.

Just think it's weird to say that Beyoncé and Kanye's crowd aren't at Glasto as though they're some kinda niche concern.

I know. Friday and being pedantic :)

It's not an unreasonable question though tbf.  At the time at least there were significant questions asked about all three as I recall.  Now whether that's down to a vocal perception of "what people at Glastonbury want" rather than what your Glastonbury audience would actually go and see is another matter altogether. But yeah, I think that there was an element of stepping into the unknown with them, and different questions could have led to different outcomes.

Are the Monkeys being dismissed on account of a single bloke in the US being told not to worry about getting married on the day they do a gig on the other side of the Atlantic? They would seem just such the right 'mainstream current guitar band' going right now. Recent tour tickets were gold dust.

Cant see Noel G playing. He headlined the Downs in Bristol last month, in the year he released an album, on a dry warm Saturday evening, and they were still selling tickets on the gate.

I'm liking the rumours, it seems people are mostly nailed on it being The 1975, Stormzy or Gaga in many cases, but the first two actually have some sort of link with their rumours. Am I right in saying there has been nothing whatsoever to suggest Gaga is even playing except wishful thinking?

2 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Are the Monkeys being dismissed on account of a single bloke in the US being told not to worry about getting married on the day they do a gig on the other side of the Atlantic? They would seem just such the right 'mainstream current guitar band' going right now. Recent tour tickets were gold dust.

There are other reasons why this isn't the right year for them but in terms of info to rule them out...he's not just a "single bloke in the US", he knows more than any of us and has a track record of being bang on every time. See my above post for the support for that point.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kevbizarre said:

I’d be surprised to see another all male pyramid headline set.

Wouldn’t 1975 be Other stage? Although recognise they are not the dancey alternative usually found there. Not bigger than LCD who did it in 2016. Or The xx in 2013. 

They're bigger than LCD.

LCD aren't selling out arenas anytime soon. 

LCD were amazing on the other stage but the crowd wasn't that big. 

1 minute ago, Winslow Leach said:

Is there anything behind all the Lady Gaga predictions that I missed, or just that her stock is high at the moment and we're stumped for anyone else?

That's the way I see it, I forgot she existed until this film came out

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Nailed it. 

I see Macca playing the Sunday night though.

I had The Cure Saturday and Macca Sunday but with The Cure now playing Friday in Belgium I dunno if they'll do consecutive days in different countries. Macca defo seems more like a Saturday headliner than The Cure, too, imo.

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Is there anything behind all the Lady Gaga predictions that I missed, or just that her stock is high at the moment and we're stumped for anyone else?

There's no actual info on her but the only act we have info on is The 1975, who we also have conflicting info on (them headlining R&L, which seems more likely).

There's just a bunch of small things like her Vegas residency ending on 14th June for the Summer; Bradley Cooper apparently doing a low-key set of ASIB songs on the Park which would tie in well with her headlining and him coming on to do a tune or two with her; the fact they filmed some of the film at Glasto last year so Gaga could easily have held talks then; the fact she's a female headliner which, whilst not the be all and end all, you'd imagine the Eavii would like to have to increase diversity; Gaga's stock rising again and it being an ideal time to have her headline; did Coachella and the Superbowl last year proving she's still firmly in that megastar bracket.

But yeah, some of those points above probably mean nothing at all. Mostly it's just a prediction based on what seems to make sense, as opposed to be being based on any info.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My take as it stands:

1975 - Stormzy - Dua Lipa

Cure - TWOD - LDR

Macca - Liam G - Ezra - Kylie - Sheryl Crowe

How sad That the current rock band (bit of a stetch I know their more like a boy band) getting the bump is the 1975 how times have changed. Bit of a far cry from Muse in 04 and AM in 07.

Never got the slightest of appeal in the 1975 such a bland band

Edited by Xeph1995

People are suggesting Arctic Monkeys have made special arrangements to headline like they have a real affinity with Glastonbury but I don't think they do. Coldplay do, Radiohead do and to a certain extent, Blur do. I think AM treat Glastonbury much like any other major festival. That's not a criticism but I think there's an ambivalence that comes across in their festival performances compared with their own shows. That's totally understandable but the three bands that I mentioned above are able to generate the same performance at a festival as they are in one of their own gigs, certainly in my experience at least.

The iconic UK festival in June comment screams "IoW" on an exclusive deal to me.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Do we think the merch stand will sell the Mumford & Sons bandana at Glastonbury? Or is that just a special thing for the Gentlemen of the Road Premium Package?

Mumford waistcoats will be 2019's Southgate waistcoats 

There are positives to not being a fan of the headliners as well. As good as it is to see an act you're into grace the Pyramid, 3 nights there is a bit of a waste with so much else on offer.

I finally saw a lot of the South East corner last year on Saturday cause I went up before the headliners and it was a great move, had a night to remember

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Do we think the merch stand will sell the Mumford & Sons bandana at Glastonbury? Or is that just a special thing for the Gentlemen of the Road Premium Package?

Not getting a ticket has made you so pessimistic and jaded. I hate to see you this way.