2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

The 1975 are bigger than FATM was in 2015 and definitely bigger than her currently. They’ve stormed the world and are far and away the UK’s current big thing in music. This is the Mumfords argument of 2013 all over again.

I get the impression a large part of The 1975’s fan base is probably 16 and under. Not sure how many of these would be at Glastonbury. 

They’re big enough to headline but I don’t think they’d look out of place subbing and I’m not sure they’ll have the field packed to the rafters

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The 1975 are bigger than FATM was in 2015 and definitely bigger than her currently. They’ve stormed the world and are far and away the UK’s current big thing in music. This is the Mumfords argument of 2013 all over again.

Are they really at the level of Mumfords in 2013? Bloody hell, this one has passed me by.

Just now, The Martini Police said:

Are they really at the level of Mumfords in 2013? Bloody hell, this one has passed me by.

They’ve gotten there more gradually rather than Mumfords who blew up suddenly, but yeah I’d say they’re on a similar level now, or at least will be with the release of the new album. 

Just now, Honeybane said:

see i'm quite disappointed with the 3, then i remember muse adele codplay. Now i feel better

But then again if it was:

The Cure (Pyramid)

Tame Impala (Other)

Somebody on the other stage one of the days headlining.

That seems amazing for me. Love Cure and Tame Impala and somebody else I would see, then for the rest, explore it all. Like as said before its Glastonbury not only the music.

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

But then again if it was:

The Cure (Pyramid)

Tame Impala (Other)

Somebody on the other stage one of the days headlining.

That seems amazing for me. Love Cure and Tame Impala and somebody else I would see, then for the rest, explore it all. Like as said before its Glastonbury not only the music.

ditto

7 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I get the impression a large part of The 1975’s fan base is probably 16 and under. Not sure how many of these would be at Glastonbury. 

They’re big enough to headline but I don’t think they’d look out of place subbing and I’m not sure they’ll have the field packed to the rafters

Would say most of their fan base is 16-19, rather than 16 and under.

If "how many of these would be at Glastonbury" was ever a consideration, Metallica would never have headlined, nor Kanye, Beyonce or Jay-Z.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

my current best idea:

The 1975
The Cure
Macca

How recent is that The 1975 info you've received? I can't see it happening with what's been posted in the R&L section but if they were still giving offers out fairly recently it'd maybe make Gaga more likely? She certainly seems a better bet now than she did a year ago.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

word I've heard is that they have an offer. Can't really see it being for less than headline.

I don't see why not tbh. If they're giving sub offers to Biffy Clyro and third down offers to Katy Perry I don't see why they can't offer The 1975 a sub slot. Especially if they're already booked to headline R&L so Glasto know they can't have them as headliners. Something along the lines of "We know you're already headlining R&L next year and we're booked up for 2020. How about subbing the Pyramid for massive exposure next year and coming back to headline it on your next tour?" If The 1975 know they have no chance of headlining the next two years they don't really have anything to lose unless R&L don't allow them to do it (the R&L headliners who've been booked for Glasto recently have been co-headliners rather than outright headliners).

I'm not sticking them in my prediction as a sub or owt, but I don't see Glasto offering them a sub slot as being impossible.

5 minutes ago, briddj said:

Would say most of their fan base is 16-19, rather than 16 and under.

If "how many of these would be at Glastonbury" was ever a consideration, Metallica would never have headlined, nor Kanye, Beyonce or Jay-Z.

Huh? Kanye and Beyoncé are two of the biggest mainstream megastars in the world. If their crowd aren't at Glastonbury then who the fuck is going to Glastonbury?

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

How recent is that The 1975 info you've received? I can't see it happening with what's been posted in the R&L section but if they were still giving offers out fairly recently it'd maybe make Gaga more likely? She certainly seems a better bet now than she did a year ago.

I don't see why not tbh. If they're giving sub offers to Biffy Clyro and third down offers to Katy Perry I don't see why they can't offer The 1975 a sub slot. Especially if they're already booked to headline R&L so Glasto know they can't have them as headliners. Something along the lines of "We know you're already headlining R&L next year and we're booked up for 2020. How about subbing the Pyramid for massive exposure next year and coming back to headline it on your next tour?" If The 1975 know they have no chance of headlining the next two years they don't really have anything to lose unless R&L don't allow them to do it (the R&L headliners who've been booked for Glasto recently have been co-headliners rather than outright headliners).

I'm not sticking them in my prediction as a sub or owt, but I don't see Glasto offering them a sub slot as being impossible.

i still cannot see monkeys not playing, honestly. It almost feels as if they delayed this record just for this festival.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Honeybane said:

i still cannot see monkeys not playing, honestly. It almost feels as if they delayed this record just for this festival.

Tbh there were lots of reasons why it didn't make too much sense anyway. Only reason I had em down to headline for so long was that it seemed an easy, crowd-pleasing booking to make. But I could easily see one of the band or the festival thinking it's too soon (in terms of new material) since 2013 and waiting until their next tour. With Blake from ArcticMonkeysUS being told they're not playing I'm very confident now that they won't be there.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Tbh there were lots of reasons why it didn't make too much sense anyway. Only reason I had em down to headline for so long was that it seemed an easy, crowd-pleasing booking to make. But I could easily see one of the band or the festival thinking it's too soon (in terms of new material) since 2013 and waiting until their next tour. With Blake from ArcticMonkeysUS being told they're not playing I'm very confident now that they won't be there.

so the iconic june festival he was referring to is a finsbury-like gig?