2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

For my own entertainment (I am an extremely sad man) I decided to have a look at the festival headliners over the past few years and see if any trends/ patterns emerge with the type of acts booked….even though I know there is no pattern with regards to announcements, obviously (AHTT)

I do not profess to be an expert on statistics (far from it) and I’m sure most other people can arrange what I’ve done into pretty spreadsheets and tables! I can’t and do not have the inclination to learn how to do so at the moment. I’ve double-checked for any errors, so apologies if there are any remaining.

Decided to look at the past 3 decades, starting at 1990. I’ll probably go back at add the other 20 years at some point, but hopefully it will be of interest to someone…saying that, there’s someone else who has probably done a far more professional job of doing this somewhere else on the web!

But hey….

HEADLINERS

Going from Wikipedia/ memory, I’m working from this:

1990 – The Cure (I)/ Happy Mondays (I)/ Sinead O’Connor (P)

1992 – Carter USM (I)/ Shakespeare’s Sister (P)/ Youssou N’Dour (W)

1993 – The Black Crowes (R) / Christy Moore (F) / Lenny Kravitz (R)

1994 – The Levellers (I) / Elvis Costello (I) / Peter Gabriel (P)

1995 – Oasis (I) / Pulp* (I)/ The Cure (I)

1997- Radiohead (I) / The Prodigy (D) / Ash* (I)

1998 – Primal Scream (I)/ Blur (I)/ Pulp (I)

1999- REM (I) / Manic Street Preachers (I) / Skunk Anansie (R)

2000 – David Bowie (P) / Travis (I) / The Chemical Brothers (D)

2002 – Coldplay (I) / The Stereophonics (I) / Rod Stewart (P)

2003 – REM (I) / Radiohead (I) / Moby (D)

2004 – Paul McCartney (P) / Oasis (I) / Muse (I)

2005 – The White Stripes (I) / Coldplay (I) / Basement Jaxx (D)

2007 – Arctic Monkeys (I) / The Killers (I) / The Who (R)

2008 – Kings of Leon (I) / Jay-Z (H) / The Verve (I)

2009 – Neil Young (R) / Bruce Springsteen (P) / Blur (I)

2010 –Gorrilaz* (P) / Muse (I) / Stevie Wonder (RB)

2011 – U2 (P) / Coldplay (I) / Beyoncé (RB)

2013- Arctic Monkeys (I) / The Rolling Stones (R) / Mumford and Sons (I)

2014- Arcade Fire (I) / Metallica (R) / Kasabian (I)

2015 – Florence and the Machine* (P) / Kayne West (H) / The Who (R)

2016 – Muse (I) / Adele (P) / Coldplay (I)

2017 – Radiohead (I) / Foo Fighters (R) / Ed Sheeran (P)

*Not originally booked as headliners, replacements for The Stone Roses, Steve Winwood, U2 and Foo Fighters respectively

MUSICAL GENRE

I have used the following descriptions of genres (sure some will disagree with some of the categorisation of certain acts!)

Indie (I) Pop (P) Rock (R) Dance (D) Hip Hop/ Rap (H) R n B (RB) Folk (F) World (W)

In the 1990s – 62% of the headliners were an indie act, 13% each for pop and rock, and 4% each for folk, world and dance

2000s – 57% for indie bands, 13% each for dance, rock, pop and 4% for rap

This decade so far – 43% are indie bands, 23% rock, 19% pop, 10% RnB and 5% rap

• There has been a slight downturn in the number of indie acts this decade and a rise in the number of pop acts.
  • The 1990s were the indiest decade.
  • Folk and world music have not featured since 1993.
  • There has only been one year when an indie act hasn’t headlined: 2015
  • 1995 and 1998 both featured all indie headliners, the only years to do so.
  • There have been 7 instances of the headliners being from 3 different musical genres, including last year.
  • A dance act have not headlined since Basement Jaxx in 2005.
  • Only 2 rap headliners in the history of the festival

REPEAT HEADLINERS

The following acts have been headliners before:

The Cure (90), Elvis Costello/ Peter Gabriel (94), The Cure (95), Pulp (98), David Bowie (00), REM/ Radiohead (03), Oasis (04), Coldplay (05), Blur (09), Muse (10), Coldplay (11), Arctic Monkeys (13), The Who (15), Muse/ Coldplay (16), Radiohead (17)

• In the 1990s: There were 5 repeat headliners
  • 2000s: 6
  • 2010s: 7 (likely to increase with rumoured headliners for 2019 – The Cure will match Coldplay’s 4 headline slots if they play)

There have been no instances of 3 returning headliners in the same year. (Important to note for the idenity of our remaining headliner - assuming The Cure and Macca are true)

GENDER/ ETHNIC DIVERSITY

In the 1990s, 3 acts (or bands with female members) graced the stage as headliners or in bands (12%)

In the 2000s this was down to only one! Meg from the White Stripes (4%)

In his decade, we have reached 4 acts with a festival to go (19%)

In the 1990s, 4 acts with a person of colour headlined the Pyramid (17%)

In the 2000s this was down to one! Jay-Z (4%)

In this decade, we have reached 3 with one to go (12%)

• The 2000s were the Whitest/ Male decade of the past 3.
  • This decade has seen a rise in female representation since the 1990s.
  • The 1990s is, so far, the most ethnically diverse (likely to stay that way with the rumoured headliners for 2019)
  • There have been 15 male solo headliners since 1990 and 3 female...and a 21-year gap between Sinead O'Connor and Beyonce
  • One all-female duo/ group has headlined since 1990 – Shakespeare’s Sister.

NATIONALITY

In the 1990s -18 British acts headlined (75%), 3 came from the USA, 2 from Ireland and one from Senegal.

In the 2000s – There were 16 British headliners (66%) and 8 from the USA.

In the 2010s – so far we have had 14 British headliners (66%), 5 from the USA and one each from Ireland and Canada.

• Youssou N’Dour and Arcade Fire are the only acts from outside of Britain, Ireland and the USA to have headlined since 1990.
  • The longest gap between non-British acts is between 1993 (Lenny Kravitz) and 1999 (REM)
  • There have been 9 occassions where the headliners have all been British (4 years in a row from 94-98)
  • The last time two all-British headliners were in successive years was 2000 and 2002.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 23

7 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

MUSICAL GENRE

I have used the following descriptions of genres (sure some will disagree with some of the categorisation of certain acts!)

Indie (I) Pop (P) Rock (R) Dance (D) Hip Hop/ Rap (H) R n B (RB) Folk (F) World (W)

What you classify as indie or pop is pretty subjective I guess... Especially for the 90s, you can maybe call it pop music. Dunno if I would classify Oasis as indie. And Coldplay, wouldn't call that indie either. Although I like some of my musical tastes to be classified as indie, their public appeal may just cause them to be pop ?

Edited by StupidDream

8 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

For my own entertainment (I am an extremely sad man) I decided to have a look at the festival headliners over the past few years and see if any trends/ patterns emerge with the type of acts booked….even though I know there is no pattern with regards to announcements, obviously (AHTT)

I do not profess to be an expert on statistics (far from it) and I’m sure most other people can arrange what I’ve done into pretty spreadsheets and tables! I can’t and do not have the inclination to learn how to do so at the moment. I’ve double-checked for any errors, so apologies if there are any remaining.

Decided to look at the past 3 decades, starting at 1990. I’ll probably go back at add the other 20 years at some point, but hopefully it will be of interest to someone…saying that, there’s someone else who has probably done a far more professional job of doing this somewhere else on the web!

But hey….

HEADLINERS

Going from Wikipedia/ memory, I’m working from this:

1990 – The Cure (I)/ Happy Mondays (I)/ Sinead O’Connor (P)

1992 – Carter USM (I)/ Shakespeare’s Sister (P)/ Youssou N’Dour (W)

1993 – The Black Crowes (R) / Christy Moore (F) / Lenny Kravitz (R)

1994 – The Levellers (I) / Elvis Costello (I) / Peter Gabriel (P)

1995 – Oasis (I) / Pulp* (I)/ The Cure (I)

1997- Radiohead (I) / The Prodigy (D) / Ash* (I)

1998 – Primal Scream (I)/ Blur (I)/ Pulp (I)

1999- REM (I) / Manic Street Preachers (I) / Skunk Anansie (R)

2000 – David Bowie (P) / Travis (I) / The Chemical Brothers (D)

2002 – Coldplay (I) / The Stereophonics (I) / Rod Stewart (P)

2003 – REM (I) / Radiohead (I) / Moby (D)

2004 – Paul McCartney (P) / Oasis (I) / Muse (I)

2005 – The White Stripes (I) / Coldplay (I) / Basement Jaxx (D)

2007 – Arctic Monkeys (I) / The Killers (I) / The Who (R)

2008 – Kings of Leon (I) / Jay-Z (H) / The Verve (I)

2009 – Neil Young (R) / Bruce Springsteen (P) / Blur (I)

2010 –Gorrilaz* (P) / Muse (I) / Stevie Wonder (RB)

2011 – U2 (P) / Coldplay (I) / Beyoncé (RB)

2013- Arctic Monkeys (I) / The Rolling Stones (R) / Mumford and Sons (I)

2014- Arcade Fire (I) / Metallica (R) / Kasabian (I)

2015 – Florence and the Machine* (P) / Kayne West (H) / The Who (R)

2016 – Muse (I) / Adele (P) / Coldplay (I)

2017 – Radiohead (I) / Foo Fighters (R) / Ed Sheeran (P)

*Not originally booked as headliners, replacements for The Stone Roses, Steve Winwood, U2 and Foo Fighters respectively

MUSICAL GENRE

In the 1990s – 62% of the headliners were an indie act, 13% each for pop and rock, and 4% each for folk, world and dance

2000s – 57% for indie bands, 13% each for dance, rock, pop and 4% for rap

This decade so far – 43% are indie bands, 23% rock, 19% pop, 10% RnB and 5% rap

• There has been a slight downturn in the number of indie acts this decade and a rise in the number of pop acts.
  • The 1990s were the indiest decade.
  • Folk and world music have not featured since 1993.
  • There has only been one year when an indie act hasn’t headlined: 2015
  • 1995 and 1998 both featured all indie headliners, the only years to do so.
  • There have been 7 instances of the headliners being from 3 different musical genres, including last year.
  • A dance act have not headlined since Basement Jaxx in 2005.
  • Only 2 rap headliners in the history of the festival

REPEAT HEADLINERS

The Cure (90), Elvis Costello/ Peter Gabriel (94), The Cure (95), Pulp (98), David Bowie (00), REM/ Radiohead (03), Oasis (04), Coldplay (05), Blur (09), Muse (10), Coldplay (11), Arctic Monkeys (13), The Who (15), Muse/ Coldplay (16), Radiohead (17)

• 2010s: 7 (likely to increase with rumoured headliners for 2019 – The Cure will match Coldplay’s 4 headline slots if they play)

There have been no instances of 3 returning headliners in the same year. (Important to note for the idenity of our remaining headliner - assuming The Cure and Macca are true)

GENDER/ ETHNIC DIVERSITY

In the 1990s, 3 acts (or bands with female members) graced the stage as headliners or in bands (12%)

In the 2000s this was down to only one! Meg from the White Stripes (4%)

In his decade, we have reached 4 acts with a festival to go (19%)

In the 1990s, 4 acts with a person of colour headlined the Pyramid (17%)

In the 2000s this was down to one! Jay-Z (4%)

In this decade, we have reached 3 with one to go (12%)

• The 2000s were the Whitest/ Male decade of the past 3.
  • This decade has seen a rise in female representation since the 1990s.
  • The 1990s is, so far, the most ethnically diverse (likely to stay that way with the rumoured headliners for 2019)
  • There have been 15 male solo headliners since 1990 and 3 female...and a 21-year gap between Sinead O'Connor and Beyonce
  • One all-female duo/ group has headlined since 1990 – Shakespeare’s Sister.

NATIONALITY

In the 1990s -18 British acts headlined (75%), 3 came from the USA, 2 from Ireland and one from Senegal.

In the 2000s – There were 16 British headliners (66%) and 8 from the USA.

In the 2010s – so far we have had 14 British headliners (66%), 5 from the USA and one each from Ireland and Canada.

• Youssou N’Dour and Arcade Fire are the only acts from outside of Britain, Ireland and the USA to have headlined since 1990.
  • The longest gap between non-British acts is between 1993 (Lenny Kravitz) and 1999 (REM)
  • There have been 9 occassions where the headliners have all been British (4 years in a row from 94-98)
  • The last time two all-British headliners were in successive years was 2000 and 2002.

I'm going to give you an upvote for a stellar effort.

2 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

What you classify as indie or pop is pretty subjective I guess... Especially for the 90s, you can maybe call it pop music. Dunno if I would classify Oasis as indie. 

The term "indie" these days is a catchall for groups of (usually) blokes with guitars who aren't too heavy or that interesting. Oasis fit snuggly in this category

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

The term "indie" these days is a catchall for groups of (usually) blokes with guitars who aren't too heavy or that interesting. Oasis fit snuggly in this category

Oh yeah, I can recall the whole indie (landfill) discussion of a few weeks ago. Maybe a new category should be introduced, or call it 'alternative'. As a fan I obviously feel offended when Radiohead is in the same group as the Gallagher brothers.

57 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

There is precisely one QOTSA song (No One Knows, obviously) that's acceptable at parties, and even then you're straying dangerously close to Propaganda indie disco territory. 

What on earth is Propaganda indie disco? 

40 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Incorrect, that would be Feel Good Hit of the Summer. 

I wanna make it with chu' is a party banger tbh.

23 minutes ago, Retro P said:

Edited by Xeph1995

26 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

REPEAT HEADLINERS

I’ve been saying all along that I don’t think it’ll be AM/The Cure/Macca for that reason. It doesn’t make it impossible of course, but the odds must be against it.

I forgot that Elvis Costello headlined in 1994. That makes him on a par with Coldplay - 4 each.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

I’ve been saying all along that I don’t think it’ll be AM/The Cure/Macca for that reason. It doesn’t make it impossible of course, but the odds must be against it.

I forgot that Elvis Costello headlined in 1994. That makes him on a par with Coldplay - 4 each.

I supose it’s been 15 years since Macca did it and 24 for The Cure, so we’re not at Coldplay/ Muse regularity...but I agree, I think it’s going to be someone who hasn’t done it before.

Good spot Re Elvis Costello

I know they could be debated all day, and it's not the point, and it's a great effort.

But, REM indie and U2 pop? Both 'rock' for me. A lot of the 'pop' could be indie or rock for me, a lot still 'guitar bands'. 

Assuming pop as a genre, rather than just 'popular'. Cos they are all popular. 

24 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

At the very almost uncertain chance that the taking heads ever get back together, dya reckon they could ever headline.

I know that byrne is dead set against it.

Indeed, extremely unlikely they'd ever get together again, so very hypothetical. They certainly have a legendary status and were hugely influential. I'm trying to compare them to The Cure, which of course is hard. Maybe not enough hits or songs people really remember? If they were to reform, maybe legend slot (although the mere fact they're reforming would create a big buzz)? They'll have to hurry though, all reaching their 70s.

Edited by StupidDream

Only just hit me that The Cure's potential booking this year can only be a positive for those of us wanting the likes of Depeche Mode and Pearl Jam to be booked to headline (those acts we see as too big for Other but who maybe don't have the hits/mass appeal to headline the Pyramid).

One of the reasons I gave for why I could see The Cure happening is that with an ever-shrinking pool of headliners they're probably an easy option to extend the life of that pool before they retire/die. Hopefully the same reasoning could be used to book Pearl Jam/Depeche Mode in the coming years, if so.

Also, these types of acts headline the major European festivals year in year out and there are more people from the UK attending these every year. I know a lot of us on here (mainly the old guard of the R&L section who bemoaned its shift into a more mainstream-focused festival) had been hoping for something in the UK where these headliners plus the likes of Pixies, Weezer, yadda yadda could play, so it'd be nice for more of them to start popping up at Glasto.

• Upvote 1