2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think Villains not being very good was a massive torpedo to their chance. Has they followed up Like Clockwork with another stormer then it'd be a different conversation.

Its not like villans was a bad album I kinda liked it, and The way you used too do is such a swinging banger. I think muse had pretty terrible albums their last 2/3 bar a few songs here and there. They have a pretty hefty back catalogue to pick from.

Edited by Xeph1995

7 minutes ago, ConorC said:

GettyImages-543233778-640x426.jpg.6067a745648ca83c5a22c487d1feb1e2.jpg

Everything Is Love and DAMN were both quite a bit weaker than Lemonade and To Pimp A Butterfly, though granted we can at least partially blame Jay Z for the former and they’re still both much better records than anyone else is putting out right now.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

4 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Its not like villans was a bad album I kinda liked it, and The way you used too do is such a swinging banger. I think muse had pretty terrible albums their last 2/3 bar a few songs here and there. They have a pretty hefty back catalogue.

A hefty back catalogue that nobody has heard of. I'm not sure how many average punters could name more than three QOTSA songs, they haven't really penetrated the mainstream in the same way the Foos or Muse have. Blank stares all round and 70,000 people waiting for No One Knows.

They couldn't sell out Finsbury with a stellar undercard either.

Edited by Hugh Jass

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Joint-favourite with Glenn Close and Olivia Colman for me, unless Mary Queen Of Scots is (a lot) better than it looks. A lot can happen between now and March though obvs.

Yeah I’ve heard lots of hype around The Favourite. I think Nicole Kidman is in with a chance for Boy Erased as well personally

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

A hefty back catalogue that nobody has heard of. I'm not sure how many average punters could name more than three QOTSA songs, they haven't really penetrated the mainstream in the same way the Foos or Muse have. Blank stares all round and 70,000 people waiting for No One Knows.

I think yer a bit off mark here. Finsbury (which did sell out) was their biggest headline show in the country to date, following on from a pretty fast-selling run of arena shows. Plus the last album was their first no. 1. You could easily argue they were at their commercial peak.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I think yer a bit off mark here. Finsbury (which did sell out) was their biggest headline show in the country to date, following on from a pretty fast-selling run of arena shows. Plus the last album was their first no. 1. You could easily argue they were at their commercial peak.

I'm always sceptical of shows that have been on sale for a long time "selling out" a day or two before the event, suggests to me that either they've had to give away the last load or they've just announced a sell out to save face.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Another way to look at it is to say Liam Gallagher sold out Finsbury much quicker and also off the back of a pretty extensive tour and also had a number one album around the same time as Villains.

Nobody would say he's a credible headliner either.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I feel the same could be said about the cure for a lot of people, too me their a 2 hit wonder

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Everything Is Love and DAMN were both quite a bit weaker than Lemonade and To Pimp A Butterfly, though granted we can at least partially blame Jay Z for the former and they’re still both much better records than anyone else is putting out right now.

I agree on both counts but Lemonade and TPAB are only 2/3 years old, surely not enough time has passed to say that they've passed their creative peak? With Gaga I think people are saying her peak was 8/9 years ago. Plus, a lot of people actually rate DAMN as Kenny's best work.

If that's the case and Kendrick/Beyonce aren't eligible, the question should be reworded to "Which headline-worthy artists are currently at their commercial peak and have just released their best album?" In which case I think you'd struggle to name anyone. Rihanna possibly if her new album is better than Anti and goes down well?

Edited by ConorC

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

‘who is at their commercial and creative peak right now’

Like them or loathe them, that's Arctic Monkeys right now. Whether they'll headline Glastonbury and continue the every 6 year cycle though remains to be seen

They definitely arent at a commercial peak with their last album. AM was arguably their Creative/Commercial peak

Just now, Xeph1995 said:

They definitely arent at a commercial peak with their last album. AM was arguably their Creative/Commercial peak

In your opinion they aren't, take a step back regardless of whether you like the new record or not and look at what they're at now. If they're available to headline, be it 2019 or 2020, they'll be booked.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm always sceptical of shows that have been on sale for a long time "selling out" a day or two before the event, suggests to me that either they've had to give away the last load or they've just announced a sell out to save face.

I recall people were complaining that it was oversold. But that’s beside the point - I was saying it’s their biggest headline date so how would not selling that mean they’ve gone off the boil?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Another way to look at it is to say Liam Gallagher sold out Finsbury much quicker and also off the back of a pretty extensive tour and also had a number one album around the same time as Villains.

Nobody would say he's a credible headliner either.

Liam is never gonna headline cos he’s not Oasis. But despite being not-Oasis, he shifts an unreasonable amount of tickets due to his time in Britain’s most beloved band and obviously his personality. Sure as shit ain’t a fair comparison against Queens.

I’m not even riding for Queens as a headliner - I’m just saying they’re at a commercial high people are misshaping cos the album itself wasn’t that good.

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

‘who is at their commercial and creative peak right now’

Like them or loathe them, that's Arctic Monkeys right now. Whether they'll headline Glastonbury and continue the every 6 year cycle though remains to be seen

Are they at their commercial peak now?

Spotify streaming numbers (not always the best metric, I know) are massively down on previous albums. TBHC literally has about 10% of the numbers that AM does, that's unheard of really if you compare it to new music from other big names.

26 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Exactly. I like her but she's been forgotten about completely until now and she was so. after that last album. Glasto sub would do wonders 

Forgotten by you perhaps.

For the rest of the world, in 2017 she had her huge multiple sell out Joanne tour (which illness then cut short her European 2018 dates) and pulled $95m, Superbowl half time show in 2017, Joanne went platinum in 2017 and she starts her Vegas residency later this year. And also filmed and wrote or co-wrote 13 of the songs for ASIB.

Aye. Forgotten about.