2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

6 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Fair. I don't doubt how embiggened they have become since then, I just thought it was note worthy.

Funny Chvrches were the band after them and no one is mentioning them in the same conversation any more when three years ago they probably thought they would be.

The 1975 are definitely a cromulent shout for headliner

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Fair. I don't doubt how embiggened they have become since then, I just thought it was note worthy.

Funny Chvrches were the band after them and no one is mentioning them in the same conversation any more when three years ago they probably thought they would be.

If the new Chvrches album hadn’t been a load of rubbish we might well be.

33 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The 1975 are definitely a cromulent shout for headliner

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A perfectly cromulent observation.

I come to this thread for the long conversation about the same four bands.

I stay for The Simpsons references.

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

Who does everyone on here find more attractive, Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson?

You see, I feel so confident that Macca and The Cure are headlining, I can waste everyone here’s time by rating the superhunks

Ooh he's gonna win.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just thinking... I bet that, a couple of years ago, no one would have expected that 2019 would actually turn out to be the best year to book Lady Gaga.

edit: as a headliner, is what I'm saying.

Still not convinced ASIB is going to have Greatest Showman-levels of ubiquity, at least on this side of the Atlantic. Would love to be proven wrong though.

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just thinking... I bet that, a couple of years ago, no one would have expected that 2019 would actually turn out to be the best year to book Lady Gaga.

edit: as a headliner, is what I'm saying.

Was thinking this when watching her on Graham Norton. What with Bradley Cooper’s connection with the festival and the fact that she takes a break from her Las Vegas residency on June 14, it could happen.

A Star Is Born was surprisingly very good and is already gaining momentum for the Oscars. Would be interesting to see if Gaga is booked on the back of that. Having an oscar nominee or even winner (such as . Adele) play the festival would be good for both sides surely. Plus 1 scene was filmed there in 17 so would be full circle. 

Cooper was on Graham Norton saying he goes to Glastonbury every year too

12 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Still not convinced ASIB is going to have Greatest Showman-levels of ubiquity, at least on this side of the Atlantic. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Yeah but it's probably better for her to be the star of a widely admired film with a modest soundtrack rather than be the star of a lousy film with a soundtrack that's flying off the shelves.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I would still put money on The 1975 headlining Reading and Leeds - something they were probably signed up for years ago - but wouldn't be all that shocked to see them pop up as 'special guests' on the John Peel or something.

Yeah tbf you're probably right there, yer man did literally tell the crowd at the end of their last show there 'we'll be back to headline in a few years'. I just want Glasto to happen cos it'd be good.

7 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

What happened in 2009? Did the global financial crisis hit Glastonbury or was this just some whistful day of yore before touting bots bought everything in minutes? 

I think the lack of money didn't help. The shit weather of 2007 and even worse lineup of 2008 would have been fresh in a lot of people's memories too.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I would still put money on The 1975 headlining Reading and Leeds - something they were probably signed up for years ago - but wouldn't be all that shocked to see them pop up as 'special guests' on the John Peel or something.

I think im inclined to agree. As much as I could see them headlining pyramid personally, I really feel they are quite a marmite band to the GP. Majority of my friends cannot stand them and would be horrified to see them headline the pyramid. Im still confused as to their fan base and im a fan, majority 16-17 year old girls who probably wont be attending glasto seems to be what people perceive, but really not sure anymore. 

4 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

What happened in 2009? Did the global financial crisis hit Glastonbury or was this just some whistful day of yore before touting bots bought everything in minutes? 

A few things, including partly the financial crisis I think.  Also, the festival started to go out of fashion for a while, just after 2007 had the most unpleasant weather in living memory*.  2008 didn't sell out at all** and the delay in selling out in 2009 seemed to be a continuation of that year's woes.  Plus, 2009 was the first year of the deposit scheme, so that probably affected things too. I suspect the lack of selling out in 08 contributed to a lack of urgency on T Day.

2008 was a wonderful festival though in the end, which probably accounted for 09 ultimately selling out.

* I may be exaggerating, but I'm serious when I say we might be going back to 1985 for worse weather than 07, but I'm not sure if that was actually worse even though it was muddier.  I've been to 97, 98, 05 and 16.  It was worse than all of those.
** Officially speaking, it did sell out the week of the festival, but that involved shifting tickets through other channels (e.g. increased competitions), so I tend to consider it not a proper sell out.