2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

19 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I call bullshit on this setlist business.  I knew he'd be shit and boring within a month of him being announced. 

And he was.

Good to see you went in with an open mind!

16 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I still dunno what he could have opened with other than Badlands. If noone knew or liked that he was fucked from the get go, regardless of what followed.  A field full of people who only wanted to hear Born In The USA isn't going to give much of a fiddlers even if he had played Backstreets and Rosalita.

Well he opened with Coma Girl. Which was odd. Could've opened with USA on the 12 string. Still the best opener I've seen him do. He played My Lucky Day, Outlaw Pete, Working on a Dream, Seeds and Johnny 99 early. Badlands a decent choice is followed up though yeah.

However not playing Rosie, Backstreets, Jungleland, USA, Atlantic City, Racing etc was mental.

15 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This doesn't chime what I heard about Neil Young in Hyde Park.  Didn't he alienate just about the whole crowd early doors with a 25 minute long version of something off of Are You Passionate?

Reminds me of when we saw him at Newcastle Arena a few years back. 

He seemed to go into a bit of a jazz fusion jam , we were on the floor but we saw a guy get up from the lower seats and shout " Rubbish " which everyone heard .

6 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My point was really that I didn't know half of what Young played at Hyde Park and thought it was fucking ace. So it's possible to enjoy a set without knowing the back catalogue intimately, but for me that wasn't possible with Bruce.

Same here. When he played last Sunday he had a 90 minute set, and it flew by. Only played about 4 hits out of about 15 songs and the crowd was loving every second of it.

When I saw Neil with Promise Of The Real in Leeds a couple of years ago they pretty much just banged out hit after hit. Granted they were longer than usual with about 5 mins of jam session injected into each song, but it was never w*nkey and pretty much the whole crowd seemed to love it. He could've quite easily have done that same set on the Pyramid to a partisan crowd and had it broadcast on TV and pleased all comers.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

When I saw Neil with Promise Of The Real in Leeds a couple of years ago they pretty much just banged out hit after hit. Granted they were longer than usual with about 5 mins of jam session injected into each song, but it was never w*nkey and pretty much the whole crowd seemed to love it. He could've quite easily have done that same set on the Pyramid to a partisan crowd and had it broadcast on TV and pleased all comers.

Aye, that was a cracking night.

58 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

A lot of people just wanted Heart of Gold and Old Man for 2 hours. 

The last Crazy Horse tour got lots of complaints because he played harder rockier songs that were long. ?

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The audience in Glasgow was definitely split at the Crazy Horse gig 5 years back.  A half hour long version of Walk Like A Giant sorted out the true believers from the fairweather fans.

Especially the last 10 minutes - which consisted of Arc type noise and lots of litter blown across the stage iirc 

23 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Id absloutely love to see QOTSA headline, I really think they are good enough and big enough. They also put on a killer show. I doubt its gunna happen next year but i hope so soon. 

They'll stick around headlining UK fests for a while and likely aren't expensive so I envision it happening eventually.

If there was a festival on this year I think they'd have headlined, if only cos of a lack of other touring headline options. Probably wouldn't have been one for the ages though, seeing as most would agree that the album was a step down and the live shows were going through the motions a bit, for whatever reason, this time around.

30 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Id absloutely love to see QOTSA headline, I really think they are good enough and big enough. They also put on a killer show. I doubt its gunna happen next year but i hope so soon. 

I could absolutely see this being a pyramid stage moment. 

I was there and loved it to the core. My favourite was when Josh saw someone in the crowd dressed as spiderman and he just stopped singing and said "Bring me spiderman." and had the guy crowd-surf to the main stage.

But as much as I love them and as much as I enjoyed their performance on both occasions I saw them, it just didn't feel as big as when Gorillaz came on stage later that night as the headline act. (Despite my knowing properly like three Gorillaz songs then.) You couldn't even say QOTSA were coheadlining. Extremely entertaining, musically brilliant, but for some reason not a headline feel to them.

3 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

I could absolutely see this being a pyramid stage moment. 

They were light years behind depeche Mode and NIN at Mad Cool. There are far better bands out there.