2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

True but surely if Macca is one, that could have a similar effect? Almost certainly his last Glastonbury, potential triumphant return, lots of festival goers who won't have seen him at all, let alone at Glastonbury. 

Agreed. My firsr GF was 2011, I'm an enormous Beatles fan as are most of our group. I'd be ecstatic at the prospect of old Macca!

1 minute ago, Ovechkin said:

They are not the biggest act in the world, outside europe they are about the same size as the strokes or muse or w/e. A distinct step below the likes of Coldplay, Kanye, U2 etc etc

seen them twice this year and i found it dull, the crowd in Madrid and sweden might not be the best i admit but it still totally lacked energy and the setlist were dull imo

I have to agree. I saw them in London and the setlist was okay but nothing compared to the setlist they used to play years ago. It was fun but not as great as I originally thought. Saying that I still feel they would be good for Glasto again IMO.

2 minutes ago, Ovechkin said:

They are not the biggest act in the world, outside europe they are about the same size as the strokes or muse or w/e. A distinct step below the likes of Coldplay, Kanye, U2 etc etc

seen them twice this year and i found it dull, the crowd in Madrid and sweden might not be the best i admit but it still totally lacked energy and the setlist were dull imo

Yeh I was exaggerating slightly by using 'world', but for GF purposes they're more than justified.

I must have dropped lucky in Brum seeing them, I was convinced they'd be a bit dull and their old tracks would sound like they lacked passion, but I was glad to be very, very wrong.

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It sends a signal though.  If they booked, say, Drake, Rihanna and Stormzy to headline then it's a clear indication that its no longer the era of The Noel Gallagher Gammons With Guitars Guarantee.

Maybe. Seems more like yer da trying to be down with the kids than booking Davido, J Hus and Skengdo x AM on the smaller main stages would be.

Just now, DownboundTrain52 said:

That Muse slot in 16, while another technically excellent performance, was comfortably the worst of the three times I've seen them. Just completely misjudged the crowd with setlist picks.

They completely misjudged the concept of music when they wrote The Globalist.

• Downvote 1

I think this issue combined with the 'established acts vs bump up' argument. I think the acts listed there lack a bit of credibility, but there are acts that maybe deserve a shot that arent considered headliner worthy at the moment, I'm thinking the likes of Frank Ocean, Anderson .Paak, Nadine Shah, Bat for Lashes etc. 

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe. Seems more like yer da trying to be down with the kids than booking Davido, J Hus and Skengdo x AM on the smaller main stages would be.

I think this issue combined with the 'established acts vs bump up' argument. I think the acts listed there lack a bit of credibility, but there are acts that maybe deserve a shot that arent considered headliner worthy at the moment, I'm thinking the likes of Frank Ocean, Anderson .Paak, Nadine Shah, Bat for Lashes etc. 

Edited by Supermerv

27 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

If I keep dropping truth bombs about the Monkey lads I might just get myself more angry downvotes than your man who was demanding to know why he had no friends.

I wonder what happened to him with his thing about inprenetable middle aged groups? I quite liked his brief appearance.

We'd all love Madge and Kendrick to headline, it would be exciting and tick the diversity boxes, but there's not a lot the festival can do if they are asking for millions. 

You're then left with your Monkey Men who'd do it for relative peanuts. 

Sometimes the hands of the festival are a little tied. 

They tend to get it right most of the time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

We'd all love Madge and Kendrick to headline, it would be exciting and tick the diversity boxes, but there's not a lot the festival can do if they are asking for millions. 

You're then left with your Monkey Men who'd do it for relative peanuts. 

Sometimes the hands of the festival are a little tied. 

They tend to get it right most of the time. 

Plus, they may not even be touring next year or not interested in changing their show to fit the stage. Lots of things have to be right at the same time.

19 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

There’s a history of the festival doing this, for several years now. Since I started going especially.

Yeah, it's something I'm expecting to happen too. I'm not touting it as a change or solution, just saying that it is more in-touch with current youth trends than acts who have already conquered the mainstream.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, it's something I'm expecting to happen too. I'm not touting it as a change or solution, just saying that it is more in-touch with current youth trends than acts who have already conquered the mainstream.

Yeah that’s fair enough. I was looking back through previous lineups just in case I’d got my point horribly wrong, and it is quite impressive to rightly see their commitment to ensuring that area of music is represented to a decent extent.