2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

They don't want to diversify the crowd. They have it nice and cosy as it is. They will pay lip service to it and stick on the odd token act but they don't want a crowd like Parklife.

The 3 headliners could be Wiley/Skepta/Stormzy and it's still highly doubtful they'd attract the parklife clientele.

Most people I know attend it because it's local and relatively cheap. Glastonbury is neither.

One slightly different headliner isn't that much to ask for. Even Ed Sheeran/Adele were slightly off-lonsdale.

I actually don't mind any of AM/Cure/PM individually but all 3 is a bit overkill.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Having never been to Parklife I'm not really sure what the crowd's like, but I'm honestly not so sure about the festival wanting to remain cosy.  Does Parklife have anything like NYC Downlow or The Greenhouse?

No but the crowd is far more culturally diverse than Glasto. This is not the thread  for such a discussion so I will leave it there regarding the diversity issue. I just found it a bit funny people having a whinge about the colour of the headline performing artists (like that should really be an issue in the 21st century anyway) when 95% of the people who attend the festival are the same colour.

It should not matter what colour, sexuality or sex any headliner is. They should be there only for their artistic merit.

• Like 1

I think it's a bit weird that if the info is correct:

Muse, Coldplay, Adele, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran, Paul McCartney, The Cure, Arctic Monkeys.

Only one of the past 9 headliners isn't a white bloke with a guitar (or a group of white blokes with guitars).

Edited by Alex DeLarge

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

No but the crowd is far more culturally diverse than Glasto. This is not the thread  for such a discussion so I will leave it there regarding the diversity issue. I just found it a bit funny people having a whinge about the colour of the headline performing artists (like that should really be an issue in the 21st century anyway) when 95% of the people who attend the festival are the same colour.

It should not matter what colour, sexuality or sex any headliner is. They should be there only for their artistic merit.

Should be. But Coldplay have headlined 3 times. 

6 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I think it's a bit weird that if the info is correct:

Muse, Coldplay, Adele, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran, Paul McCartney, The Cure, Arctic Monkeys.

Only one of the past 9 headliners isn't a white bloke with a guitar (or a group of white blokes with guitars).

And the festival sells out immediately every time, generally there is hardly any trouble, the vast majority enjoy themselves and want to come back. Why would they change a winning formula? 

Whether we like it or not, beige and white guitar bands headlining Glastonbury works for them.

• Upvote 1

Is this the first time it’s been three repeats? That’s what I like least about this prospective trio tbh. Adding Madonna or Fleetwood Mac isn’t gonna flip the clientele,  neither is Stormzy or The 1975. If Kylie plays Sunday then that’s gonna be a bigger thing than some of these headliners so that’s something at least.

Don’t really think that will be the three headliners personally. Almost every time we have felt like we had the picture this early on, it’s been somewhat different.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Perhaps because certain sections of society feel that it's not really somewhere where they'd feel welcome and the festival wants to remedy that?

Well they should make sure a certain percentage of tickets go to certain sections of society if that's how they feel. They should also cater more for their tastes. Only Glastonbury can resolve the issue of lack of diversity in regards to the festival.

21 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The guy who created Bojack Horseman said a pretty rueful thing in a recent interview, that he'd fallen out of love with the argument 'I don't see colour, I hire the best people for the job' when he realised that his picks for 'the best person for the job' were all white. 

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Is this the first time it’s been three repeats?

It would be.

But lets be honest here, how many of the current attendees were around last time McCartney played - let alone The Cure? It's a total guess but I'd be surprised if the numbers were above 10% and 5% respectively.

36 minutes ago, eastynh said:

They don't want to diversify the crowd. They have it nice and cosy as it is. They will pay lip service to it and stick on the odd token act but they don't want a crowd like Parklife.

Er... Are you trying to say what I think you are with that Parklife comment? Major fucking yikes. 

Just now, incident said:

It would be.

But lets be honest here, how many of the current attendees were around last time McCartney played - let alone The Cure? It's a total guess but I'd be surprised if the numbers were above 10% and 5% respectively.

Oh yeah I don’t mean that we’ve all already seen them - I’ve only seen one and won’t be making the mistake again.

I just mean a first-time Glasto headline slot is special for the artist and special for the fans to see. Watching a set that will be immediately contrast against previous sets closer to the artists’ prime obviously isn’t.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Oh yeah I don’t mean that we’ve all already seen them - I’ve only seen one and won’t be making the mistake again.

I just mean a first-time Glasto headline slot is special for the artist and special for the fans to see. Watching a set that will be immediately contrast against previous sets closer to the artists’ prime obviously isn’t.

Is that a given though? Blur in 2009 seems to be many people's favourite ever and wasn't their first.