2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

24 minutes ago, henry bear said:

(whatever the 80’s equivalent of Foos, Sheeran, Adele etc were)

Madonna, Prince, Jacko, U2

I tend to agree that the scale of headliners is bigger now than back in the day, which is what makes The Cure a curious choice.  They're simultaneously a heritage act and an old skool 80s-esque Doc Martens and black Levis choice.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

erm, what? :blink::lol: 

The Cure were massive back then (much bigger than now), and another headliner that year - Psychedelic Furs - were (briefly) just about the biggest band in the world at that time (which is why they buggered off to the USA just after).

What are the dates either side of Glastonbury for these?, I know the Italian one on the 17th June and then another deep into July Greece?

57 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

AM

Stormzy

Madonna

That has been my guess for a while + I'm sticking with it.

Liam Gallagher, Wolf Alice and  Dua Lipa subbing.

See more people are thinking Dua may sub, I don't see Wolf Alice subbing at all myself though. I think they can get 3rd down or sub Other but they would be lost subbing imo.

43 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

What are the dates either side of Glastonbury for these?, I know the Italian one on the 17th June and then another deep into July Greece?

See more people are thinking Dua may sub, I don't see Wolf Alice subbing at all myself though. I think they can get 3rd down or sub Other but they would be lost subbing imo.

Wolf Alice have played three festivals in a row and are winding down VOAL after their Christmas gigs. They won’t be there next year.

5 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Possible kylie is actually a headliner and not the legend? Just to throw in another name..queen? Got the film out later this year to ride on the back of.

I'm hoping macca info wrong and the cure is right. cure, madonna, queen. If kylie is legend slot for sure them Madge would have to be Saturday.

I don't see it, she sells a lot of tickets to her fans and does have wide appeal, but she also does a lot dates like race courses etc that Lionel does for example. He sold out arenas etc and dolly sold crazy dates but neither would ever headline it now. I actually think they've got 4th spot now to give it extra long to acts that have the hits but just aren't the headliner now.

15 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Possible kylie is actually a headliner and not the legend? Just to throw in another name..queen? Got the film out later this year to ride on the back of.

I’d love to see Queen & AL on the farm, they’d kill it. Trouble is ME and Brian Mays’ views on killing badgers and the public spat that caused make it unlikely.

13 hours ago, henry bear said:

Don’t know about massive. They were chart regulars, but then so were the likes of the Bunnymen, Smiths, etc. 

What I meant was, GF attracts the biggest names now, back then it could never have got the huge names selling out stadiums at the time - Springsteen, Stones etc. (whatever the 80’s equivalent of Foos, Sheeran, Adele etc were). Their headliners were from the next rung down, and the Cure and Psychedelic Furs belonged there.

You seem to be confusing 2nd Tier with Alternative. 

Back in the 80s Glastonbury seemed to want to attract the alternative crowd rather than aim for the huge popular names. The Cure were arguably the biggest alternative band around back then. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, beau1 said:

You seem to be confusing 2nd Tier with Alternative. 

Back in the 80s Glastonbury seemed to want to attract the alternative crowd rather than aim for the huge popular names. The Cure were arguably the biggest alternative band around back then. 

I disagree. The festival has always been about contemporary arts and I don’t really see much, if any, difference in the variety of acts it attracts to perform each year. I don’t remember it being any more alternative in the 80’s than it is now - there were as many mainstream chart acts of the time (Amazulu, Funboy Three, King, Level 42,  UB40 etc) playing as the likes of The Smiths, The Cure etc.  The obvious difference though is the size of it. The first year I went (1983) I think there were about 30k punters; now it’s more than 5 times that. They can now attract  the biggest names going; they couldn’t then, but I’ve no doubt they would have if they could.

27 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I disagree. The festival has always been about contemporary arts and I don’t really see much, if any, difference in the variety of acts it attracts to perform each year. I don’t remember it being any more alternative in the 80’s than it is now - there were as many mainstream chart acts of the time (Amazulu, Funboy Three, King, Level 42,  UB40 etc) playing as the likes of The Smiths, The Cure etc.  The obvious difference though is the size of it. The first year I went (1983) I think there were about 30k punters; now it’s more than 5 times that. They can now attract  the biggest names going; they couldn’t then, but I’ve no doubt they would have if they could.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Whilst you are correct that there were pop artists mixed in, the headliners back in the 80s/early 90s suggested a more alternative booking policy than only being able to get the second tier. Did other festivals book the "1st tier" of acts instead? 

Interesting point about the attendances and a good one, but that is very hard to judge as this is before the super fence. The Levellers for example are renowned for having the largest crowd at the Pyramid in 94 because the fence came down.

When The Cure headlined in 1990 they were one of the biggest bands in the world. Certainly not second tier.

5 hours ago, beau1 said:

When The Cure headlined in 1990 they were one of the biggest bands in the world. Certainly not second tier.

Big, of course - but not U2, Stones, Springsteen or Pink Floyd big. Those were amongst the biggest acts of the time, they could sell multiple dates at the likes of Wembley stadium. The Cure didn’t hit those heights.