2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

There's a chance, but I think most are expecting them to turn up at Reading/Leeds instead.

Ahh yes... the old 1975/BMTH co-headliners?

edit: could see them subbing Glasto & headlining R&L like Foals

Edited by Bisque

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Can't see them having 3 returning headliners, has it ever happened before? They all appeal to (broadly) the same audience as well, very unvaried. Can't see it.

If you still alternatives on the Other stage I don't see it being an issue. 

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

There's a chance, but I think most are expecting them to turn up at Reading/Leeds instead.

I thought they'd have sold out more seating than they have so far.

27 minutes ago, billum said:

Ah, but wasn't that mostly due to 'other circumstances', rather than being unsuccessful in getting tickets?

Pretty much, yeah. 02 I was caught short not expecting it to sell out, 03 I wasn't allowed the time off work and the other years I didn't go because of marriage and child.

I've been lucky enough to never* actually fail one the day when really trying. In recent years that's entirely due to pooling resources with good people met through here.

*I did try without success for tickets in 2015, but my heart wasn't in it. I didn't take up the offer of trying in a team and was strongly considering not paying off my deposit. The ticket Gods did the right thing that day.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Pretty much, yeah. 02 I was caught short not expecting it to sell out, 03 I wasn't allowed the time off work and the other years I didn't go because of marriage and child.

I've been lucky enough to never* actually fail one the day when really trying. In recent years that's entirely due to pooling resources with good people met through here.

*I did try without success for tickets in 2015, but my heart wasn't in it. I didn't take up the offer of trying in a team and was strongly considering not paying off my deposit. The ticket Gods did the right thing that day.

How do you do it? Multiple devices? Refreshing constantly?

11 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

How do you do it? Multiple devices? Refreshing constantly?

Yes and yes.

But mainly it looks good because it's much harder these days. 2002 was the first time it sold out quickly. 2004 and 2005 rewarded persistence, the servers were so overloaded. 2008 and 2009 didn't sell out on the day... I can't remember if I got my own ticket in 2014, but I didn't in 2017. So only 1 or 2 tickets purchased personally this decade.

The best advice is get 5 other people to try with you. Much more effective than any technological solutions. Get a gang, get a spreadsheet and get your shit together!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yes and yes.

But mainly it looks good because it's much harder these days. 2002 was the first time it sold out quickly. 2004 and 2005 rewarded persistence, the servers were so overloaded. 2008 and 2009 didn't sell out on the day... I can't remember if I got my own ticket in 2014, but I didn't in 2017. So only 1 or 2 tickets purchased personally this decade.

The best advice is get 5 other people to try with you. Much more effective than any technological solutions. Get a gang, get a spreadsheet and get your shit together!

2008 didn't sell out until right before the festival.

20 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

2008 didn't sell out until right before the festival.

True, but I was just focusing on the parts relevant to the perception of me being unusually great at buying tickets.

Actually, I'd say it "sold out" in name only. There were far more competitions in evidence that year. I suspect quite a lot of tickets were shifted through other channels than direct sales. Even if they filled the festival, it didn't sell out in the way all the other years did.

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

True, but I was just focusing on the parts relevant to the perception of me being unusually great at buying tickets.

Actually, I'd say it "sold out" in name only. There were far more competitions in evidence that year. I suspect quite a lot of tickets were shifted through other channels than direct sales. Even if they filled the festival, it didn't sell out in the way all the other years did.

I would too. I remember out of curiosity checking a few times and it was like January and thinking bloody hell.  Because the whole no sell out was blamed on the Jay-Z booking/horrendous 2007 rain and was it just too much for people which its said folkowed through to 2009. Then onwards though it sold easy but I don't remember 2008 being that wet, wasn't my favourite either for various reasons. But I've not failed to get a ticket since 2008...me personally 2009 was the only year it wasn't me.

12 hours ago, henry bear said:

I saw them at GF in 86, a time when they could never attract big acts to play.

erm, what? :blink::lol: 

The Cure were massive back then (much bigger than now), and another headliner that year - Psychedelic Furs - were (briefly) just about the biggest band in the world at that time (which is why they buggered off to the USA just after).

Edited by eFestivals

8 hours ago, Wooderson said:

This show was warm hazlet.

Seems to be a divide on people who saw him at his own shows earlier in the year saying it was incredible and full of energy and people seeing him at festivals in the summer being underwhelmed and saying it seemed like he couldn't be arsed. Maybe he's burnt out from touring/playing the current material, or has just succumbed to going through the motions because he can. Hoping it's the former and he returns rejuvenated with new material sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

AM

Stormzy

Madonna

That has been my guess for a while + I'm sticking with it.

Liam Gallagher, Wolf Alice and  Dua Lipa subbing.

It seems a solid prediction were it not for the info on The Cure and Macca.

And if it was that trio now, I think I'd feel a touch disappointed given we could have had The Cure and Macca, though I'm sure I'd see them all anyway.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

erm, what? :blink::lol: 

The Cure were massive back then (much bigger than now), and another headliner that year - Psychedelic Furs - were (briefly) just about the biggest band in the world at that time (which is why they buggered off to the USA just after).

Don’t know about massive. They were chart regulars, but then so were the likes of the Bunnymen, Smiths, etc. 

What I meant was, GF attracts the biggest names now, back then it could never have got the huge names selling out stadiums at the time - Springsteen, Stones etc. (whatever the 80’s equivalent of Foos, Sheeran, Adele etc were). Their headliners were from the next rung down, and the Cure and Psychedelic Furs belonged there.