2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Just now, zico martin said:

Anyway back to business, cure - monkeys - Macca is the popular consensus but this feels far too early to get the headliners right. How do previous year's early punts compare?

We seemed to know last years fairly early on, certainly as soon as Foo Fighters announced they were touring the three headliners were the common pick. I think 2016 was similar until we started trying to fit Radiohead in too. The previous years were a bit more chaotic.

12 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Anyway back to business, cure - monkeys - Macca is the popular consensus but this feels far too early to get the headliners right. How do previous year's early punts compare?

From what i know, this would definitely be historically early to have all the headliners wrapped up - but with a fallow year they've not had so much to do, and would be more likely to sort it early I think.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

From what i know, this would definitely be historically early to have all the headliners wrapped up - but with a fallow year they've not had so much to do, and would be more likely to sort it early I think.

Wasn't Muse/Adele/Coldplay pretty much wrapped up as nailed on extremely early doors as well? Can't remember there being too much other chat last year either as it seemed quite apparent Radiohead/Foos/Ed were the only real contenders in the frame. Once Foos announced a European tour anyway.

29 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

It ain't gonna be The Cure, AM and Macca.

Why?

27 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

We seemed to know last years fairly early on, certainly as soon as Foo Fighters announced they were touring the three headliners were the common pick. I think 2016 was similar until we started trying to fit Radiohead in too. The previous years were a bit more chaotic.

12 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Wasn't Muse/Adele/Coldplay pretty much wrapped up as nailed on extremely early doors as well? Can't remember there being too much other chat last year either as it seemed quite apparent Radiohead/Foos/Ed were the only real contenders in the frame. Once Foos announced a European tour anyway.

I'm sure we didn't have Adele anywhere near this early. A massive amount of people thought for ages that she wouldn't play due to the apparent stage fright. After she announced her arena tour we all grew to think it could be a bit more likely but I don't think we had her nailed down for ages. Don't even think we were 100% on her until she was announced, were we? And that was in Easter. Foo Fighters were definitely being predicted a lot for 2016 until it became apparent they wouldn't be touring that Summer. The Sun even claimed they were headlining at one point.

I know last year The Stone Roses were being predicted for a long time (probably up until Foos started announcing European dates and cemented themselves as the obvious favourites).

I think hindsight changes these things tbh. Right now we have no idea who the third headliner is, and we're not even 100% on the first two, but if it does end up being Macca, The Cure and AM/Stormzy then by next year we'll be saying we knew the headliners in September, just because they were the most commonly predicted ones.

12 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

What do you think?

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Why?

Can't see them having 3 returning headliners, has it ever happened before? They all appeal to (broadly) the same audience as well, very unvaried. Can't see it.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Can't see them having 3 returning headliners, has it ever happened before? They all appeal to (broadly) the same audience as well, very unvaried. Can't see it.

Fair on the return headliners thing but I don't know about the other point. I don't think it's any worse than Blur/Neil Young/Springsteen or AM/Stones/Mumford or AM/The Killers/The Who in terms of how varied it is.

It'd look better rounded with someone like Stormzy instead of AM but if it's their only chance to get AM until they go into hibernation again or something then I don't think they'd pass them up.

43 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Hadn't thought about the return headliners thing. Not gonna go trawling through every lineup ever to see if it's happened before but I assume it would definitely be an outlier if it had.

I'm still going with Madonna, although Stormzy would be a bold but disappointing alternative.

Who is even realistically left in the headliner pool?

Edited by FloorFiller

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

The Cure are effectively a new band. I've been going to the bloody festival for 21 years and I've never had the opportunity to see them.

Whats your key to tickets? 21 years! Your right, they haven't played in ages and we know our female thats not British. Doubt there would be two and have Kylie and Madonna,