2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

I still think it'll be the Arctic Monkeys, but at this point it feels like booking Stormzy would be as much about what he represents as his album sales.  Aside from his music, my dude has political and zeitgeisty profile.  He's in the tabloids every day and Lenny Henry is doing parodies of him on primetime BBC1 - for better or worse, he's where the focus is.

Personally think Stormzy should sub pyramid, It’d suit the set lengths he’s currently playing and there’s always a risk that the second album won’t quite meet the hype as the first. Subbing makes more sense to me but I could be wrong! It’d be massive either way for him. 

Would him subbing at Glasto stop him from headlining perhaps R&L? 

30 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Kind of got the impression a large part of The 1975’s fan base is hyped up teens similar to Twenty One Pilots who are also pretty massive

How old do you think the people who were teens when they first came out are now fam

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Does anyone actually think Arctic Monkeys will headline?

They're a significantly more sensible prediction than The Cure but people have latched onto that for whatever reason.

If the two headliners are McCartney and The Cure (the latter which I'm a little sceptical about) I can't help but feel that the third would be a contemporary female act. Diversity* seems to be really important to the festival these days, to Emily in particular. 

* not the popular dance troupe, before anyone comments

7 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

The crowd for BBK last year wasn't exactly large - I think if they put Stormzy on the Pyramid as headliner there could be a few gaps in the crowd....

As mentioned up the page, he is such a thing that Lenny Henry does send ups of him. He’s got a wider generational reach than BBK, and won’t be on at the same time as Ed Sheeran.

12 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

They're a significantly more sensible prediction than The Cure but people have latched onto that for whatever reason.

Cos of the separate rumours placing them there? If we had the same for Arctic Monkeys or The 1975 then we’d be talking about them with similar confidence.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If the two headliners are McCartney and The Cure (the latter which I'm a little sceptical about) I can't help but feel that the third would be a contemporary female act. Diversity* seems to be really important to the festival these days, to Emily in particular. 

* not the popular dance troupe, before anyone comments

It's why I can see them doing a female sub and 3rd down, I wouldn't be shocked if they gave sub to Dua Lipa but I'd go 3rd down.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Stormzy headlining would be a landmark moment but it seems like *too* big a jump for me. A Pyramid sub slot seems more realistic, as many had predicted when he was booked in 2017.

I agree..too big a jump. I can't even see him subbing the pyramid. Third down?  Just making it to the pyramid that high up the bill would be great after a 2nd album.

Just now, thewayiam said:

It's why I can see them doing a female sub and 3rd down, I wouldn't be shocked if they gave sub to Dua Lipa but I'd go 3rd down.

I agree that Dua Lipa will get a high slot, for sure. I just think that female representation at headliner status is really important to the organisation these days, and rightly so. That said, I appreciate that you can only give a shot to the right act if they're available. 

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Stormzy headlining would be a landmark moment but it seems like *too* big a jump for me. A Pyramid sub slot seems more realistic, as many had predicted when he was booked in 2017.

Although I think he could do headline, Pyramid sub is my guess too. Maybe his post on Instagram is reference to how far he's come in such a short space in time? Subbing the biggest stage in the UK is still pretty incredible on the back of one album. Skepta seemed quite humbled by his appearance there in 2016 and that was an early afternoon slot

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

at this point it feels like booking Stormzy would be as much about what he represents as his album sales.  Aside from his music, my dude has political and zeitgeisty profile.  He's in the tabloids every day and Lenny Henry is doing parodies of him on primetime BBC1 - for better or worse, he's where the focus is.

that about sums up my thinking around it. :)

Plus, there seems to be a lot of goodwill behind Stormzy. People like him and generally seem to want to see him do well. Even my mum likes him as a media presence, even if she couldn't tell you a one of his songs.

Not sure how I feel about the idea of a Pyramid headliner who's younger than me though, deeply troubling scenes.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Stormzy to sub with an option to headline if madge/macca/cure doesn't come off? (I.e, not signed?) They've done that sort of thing before. 

Wasn’t that specifically for notorious startled-deer Rogers Nelson though? I can’t see them being as worried about Macca and Bobclown and the Lads.

Madge maybe but I’d guess she’s more of a clear yes/no situation.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Stormzy, if they're really got all three headliners sorted already.

Can't see them playing anywhere else.

Do you think they'd go for an all male headliner lineup again? Didn't they say at the last festival they were hoping to give more female artists greater prominance? (can't fully remember, it was a while ago!) 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Do you think they'd go for an all male headliner lineup again? Didn't they say at the last festival they were hoping to give more female artists greater prominance? (can't fully remember, it was a while ago!) 

the problem with that angle is that there's got to be the female acts that are considered suitable as headliner - and things are still a bit short on being able to do that every year, I'd say.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I agree that Dua Lipa will get a high slot, for sure. I just think that female representation at headliner status is really important to the organisation these days, and rightly so. That said, I appreciate that you can only give a shot to the right act if they're available. 

I think they'd go for FATM if Madge and FM weren't about. It's not like having Stormzy helps the angle of female.