2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not for everyone but you can see some bands in ascendancy. And I'm counting the apparent Cure booking as score-one to the nerds who don't think Glastonbury will cede to the pop charts like Coachella has.

Besides, The National are the new Radiohead. Loony fans who aren't going anywhere, probably game the charts by buying every format and attending their entire tour.

Neither of those examples are the same as the National though, The Cure and Radiohead were both booked as bona fide headliners in their prime and have got that 'heritage' shtick to fall back on even when they're not  shifting units in the same way all these years later.

Neither of them only got booked after years and years of just sort of being there, hanging around backstage until someone gave them the gig out of a weird sense of obligation.

Edited by Winslow Leach

10 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Neither of those examples are the same as the National though, The Cure and Radiohead were both booked as bona fide headliners in their prime and have got that 'heritage' shtick to fall back on even when they're not  shifting units in the same way all these years later.

Neither of them only got booked after years and years of just sort of being there, hanging around backstage until someone gave them the gig out of a weird sense of obligation.

The bands you've dismissed are all bigger than they've ever been though. Should bands only headline if they were immediately a massive headline-sized band on album two, and not through decades of consistent growth?

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

The bands you've dismissed are all bigger than they've ever been though. Should bands only headline if they were immediately a massive headline-sized band on album two, and not through decades of consistent growth?

I never said anything should happen, but the festival just doesn't seem to be in the habit of giving the top slot to mid-level cult acts who've been on a relative plateau for years and years. 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bob Smith and Nick Cave would still turn heads when they walked into a pub.  In comparison, The National are nobodies.

Yeah, but that's partly because Robert Smith looks like someone tried to pass off a corpse as Widow Tw*nkey and Nick Cave's forehead is bigger than most pub TVs.  They'd turn heads wherever they bloody went. Also the personalised thunderclouds following them around would be a dead giveaway.

EDIT: The routine filth that gets posted on this forum and it picks up on w*nk. Amazing :lol:

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, but that's partly because Robert Smith looks like someone tried to pass off a corpse as Widow Tw*nkey and Nick Cave's forehead is bigger than most pub TVs.  They'd turn heads wherever they bloody went. Also the personalised thunderclouds following them around would be a dead giveaway.

EDIT: The routine filth that gets posted on this forum and it picks up on w*nk. Amazing :lol:

Pah! That made me laugh out loud. 

My story is similar to some others here.I saw the National at Hyde Park a while back when I'd never heard them (perhaps before Neil Young) and was blown away.

Subsequently saw them at Glasto and All Points East – after really getting in to them as a result of the above – and was incredibly disappointed both times.

My theory is The National are just cock teasers.

Edited by fat_man_joe

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Naw, for a band rising up outta the G-league they gotta take those big slots and make them their own like Nick Cave did. Once they made a turtle's neck of it, we can't just go "wasn't fair, I saw a Foo Fighters fan who wasn't interested!". It was the band's god damn fault.

I would anticipate they'll become an arena band on the next album and hopefully get a shot on the Pyramid again, possibly headlining, in ten years time or so - Other headliner in between would be accepting defeat..

Disagree. I thought they were great and had loads of non-fans with me who became fans.

14 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Disagree. I thought they were great and had loads of non-fans with me who became fans.

Fair enough. It's regarded around here to be a bit of a failure but surprisingly well-received by non-fans. Though I'm sure they would've had a similar impact on non-fans, maybe more so, if they filled the set with stuff people knew beforehand and hit all bases.

4 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Still baffles me how they approached that gig. They were on their way to establishing themselves as festival headliners and got a one off gig subbing the Pyramid Stage a few months before their new album came out, and instead of making it as crowd pleasing as possible and trying to garner some interest in them from the people in the crowd or watching on TV who weren't already fans they did that.

Something along these lines would have been perfect, and is the same length as the setlist they played. The new single plus one unreleased song (which was to be their next single), plus most of their other biggest songs. Stupid band.

1. Sea of Love

2. Fake Empire

3. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness

4. Don't Swallow the Cap

5. Abel

6. Guilty Party

7. Mistaken For Strangers

8. I Need My Girl

9. England

10. Bloodbuzz Ohio

11. Mr November

12. Terrible Love

Not enough Pink Rabbits in there.

49 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fair enough. It's regarded around here to be a bit of a failure but surprisingly well-received by non-fans. Though I'm sure they would've had a similar impact on non-fans, maybe more so, if they filled the set with stuff people knew beforehand and hit all bases.

Maybe because it seemed to be the most anticipated set of the weekend on here...the lack of Slow Show and Pink Rabbits wouldn't have gone down well, but I don't really rate them anyway. I'd love them to do more stuff like Turtleneck, think it's incredible. Reviews of the set in the media seemed pretty good. Back on to headline 2020, ;) alongside Nick Cave and Elton! :D

It may have been a failure to some, but to me it was a heroic one. There aren't too many bands that road test new songs to large audiences like that any more. They could have just played 'the hits' but didn't take the easy option and good for them. I don't think they were helped by being placed between two acts much more popular than them

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jamesthedrake said:

Re: The National. I was a sorta fan, but was totally blown away by their Glasto performances (largely due to the fact I wasn't totally familiar with their material, so just enjoyed it as a casual listener)

For my dad, who was there only waiting for Foo Fighters and on my recommendation that I'd heard they were a great live band, was totally transformed by the show (and, oddly, was almost brought to tears by 'I Need My Girl'). The National are now one of his favourite bands, we've seen them again together, and that Glasto set will now always have a special place in my heart.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I can attest to the fact that it seemed to have gone down a hell of a lot better to non-fans.

Fair play to your dad... I think that 'Slipped', 'I need my girl' and 'Humiliation' is one of the finest run of album tracks out there.. dovetailed with 'Graceless' and 'Pink Rabbits' and it makes for a classic.

I can see the National headlining Other in 2020 and then back a couple of years later for a Pyramid headline. 

i will admit to also being underwhelmed by their subbing performance but the crowd around me just had no interest... I think Matt Berninger is not keen on performing in daylight tbh...an Other headline slot in front of a crowd that are there to see them will rebuild their credibility.

I had a mail yesterday from a random who said the headliners are Macca, The Cure, and Madonna. I've no idea where that's been sourced from (have asked for some details, not heard back).

However, I think that's unlikely to be right, because if my sources have Madonna not playing wrong, there's no reason to think the other parts would be right.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I had a mail yesterday from a random who said the headliners are Macca, The Cure, and Madonna. I've no idea where that's been sourced from (have asked for some details, not heard back).

However, I think that's unlikely to be right, because if my sources have Madonna not playing wrong, there's no reason to think the other parts would be right.

There's something about this trio that makes me pray it's a duffer. 

I assume it's the part of me gutted that I won't be able to go and will therefore miss a rather outstanding, if old school trio.

When was the last time the Festival had three 'heritage' headliners like this?

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

DEAL!!!

010BA41D-B82B-4A6D-A823-CE0396476A40.jpeg

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

There's something about this trio that makes me pray it's a duffer. 

I assume it's the part of me gutted that I won't be able to go and will therefore miss a rather outstanding, if old school trio.

When was the last time the Festival had three 'heritage' headliners like this?

09 with Neil, Bruce and blur