2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

2007 - I made the still inexplicable decision to go watch the Kaiser fucking Chiefs over Arcade Fire.

Beat that.

I went to see Arcade fire but it was difficult to enjoy as someone near me collapsed and it looked like the security/medical staff were trying to give them cpr (or at least check that they were breathing), but while this was going on ( I think it was during the song 'Wake up'), then had the confetti machine blasting out confetti while they were trying to do this, covering the poor chap and medical staff in confetti while someone who was quite wasted was freaking out about it and in tears. I presume they were okay in the end as there were no fatalities reported.

Although not directly Glastonbury related, the fact that Rock Werchter (Belgium biggest festival) moved the festival a week earlier to Glastonbury weekend make me think it can't be the Cure, Macca and AM or other recent suggestion. Last time RW moved their festival was to get the Foo Fighters in 2015 as they were unavailable the next weekend (although it was announced months after they announce the original date, unlike this year). They wont be moving it for Macca (didnt sell-out the festival's Thursday in 2016, albeit the hardest day to sell out - Foos were the last one to do it) or for AM (co-headlined this year) or for the Cure (who will indeed headline but wont be the reason for moving the festival as they're not massive). Of course there's a chance that the reason the festival moved is not related to a certain band or a that the certain band will play at Glastonbury too, but I think its unlikely. The festival occurs on the first weekend of the summer vacation so moving it can hurt ticket sales. So my belief is at least one of those headliners is not on the rumor page right now.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I went to see Arcade fire but it was difficult to enjoy as someone near me collapsed and it looked like the security/medical staff were trying to give them cpr (or at least check that they were breathing), but while this was going on ( I think it was during the song 'Wake up'), then had the confetti machine blasting out confetti while they were trying to do this, covering the poor chap and medical staff in confetti while someone who was quite wasted was freaking out about it and in tears. I presume they were okay in the end as there were no fatalities reported.

Was the irony apparent at the time, or only later on?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

Although not directly Glastonbury related, the fact that Rock Werchter (Belgium biggest festival) moved the festival a week earlier to Glastonbury weekend make me think it can't be the Cure, Macca and AM or other recent suggestion. Last time RW moved their festival was to get the Foo Fighters in 2015 as they were unavailable the next weekend (although it was announced months after they announce the original date, unlike this year). They wont be moving it for Macca (didnt sell-out the festival's Thursday in 2016, albeit the hardest day to sell out - Foos were the last one to do it) or for AM (co-headlined this year) or for the Cure (who will indeed headline but wont be the reason for moving the festival as they're not massive). Of course there's a chance that the reason the festival moved is not related to a certain band or a that the certain band will play at Glastonbury too, but I think its unlikely. The festival occurs on the first weekend of the summer vacation so moving it can hurt ticket sales. So my belief is at least one of those headliners is not on the rumor page right now.

Doesn't have to be a band playing Glasto that they're moving it for, could be a band playing any festivals that weekend who are no longer going to be in Europe by the time Rock Werchter's usual date rolls around. Could be for Coldplay, could be for Metallica if they're not ruled out due to stadium shows.

17 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Their 2010 set was awesome too, closing Other. But they're always fantastic. Bring it on. 

I missed them in 2010, I was pissed off that I thought they had split up and i was proud i saw their last Glastonbury performance, then they cane back 

I had the hump with them, I have forgiven them now

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Doesn't have to be a band playing Glasto that they're moving it for, could be a band playing any festivals that weekend who are no longer going to be in Europe by the time Rock Werchter's usual date rolls around. Could be for Coldplay, could be for Metallica if they're not ruled out due to stadium shows.

I wrote that it doesn't have to be for a band that will play at Glastonbury but I think that is unlikely. Metallica is a regular RW name. I can see them moving the festival for Coldplay but they have other events in that field around the weeks before and after for those occasions. The original date gives them enough opportunities with their sister festival in France, Roskilde, Opene'r etc. Anyway I dont want to steer the topic away, just wanted to share my 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I saw Mickey Finn and Aphrodite over Bowie in '00 :cry:

In my defence, I was very young and loved drum and bass, and just thought Bowie was that bloke who had socks down his pants in Labyrinth. The decision still haunts me to this day  

In fairness they were the boys back then

2 hours ago, Divein said:

Are you sure? I went to Shaggy, but couldn’t really get a good spot so left, went to get some food and a drink and caught some of Chic. 

Yup. I did rush to get there between Gibb and Chic but Shaggy was late so it worked and I saw what I wanted to of Shaggy, possibly missing one but caught that anyway with the rest of everyone that turned upto the gully later on.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Craig David instead of Peej. Although, to be fair, that was a pretty fun time...

Craig David smashed it to be honest bu5 it was also the field atmosphere that done it. It's very much up there with my favourite Glasto's if not favourite.

48 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What do you think of the new album?  I've not had chance to listen to it in one go, but I was decidedly unimpressed.

I really like it, had repeated listens so far.  Any particular reason for the lack of enthusiasm?

I should add that I've never really been an Orbital listener, so maybe I'm coming at it without any expectation of what it should be?

46 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

The Cure, Oasis, McCartney in that order. 

All the petition lads can sign themselves some mates instead and fill the pyramid field for the weekend. I’ll be elsewhere

The Cure just being announced for Firenze Rocks in June puts them as a certainty I think...

Macca isn't a no - but the fact he has near US dates doesn't seem to make it plausible based on his usual schedule... I reckon he will play BST Hyde Park if he does Glasto - which means that BST won't announce it till his O2 shows...

Artics seems spot on though

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

I know that's clearly someone in trouble, and having emergency staff looking after someone is never good. But I've got to be honest, that made me snort coffee through my nose.

Nothing as extreme, but I had a "moment" during Lionel when I had to lie down and sweat for a few minutes. There was a lovely group of ladies behind us who were nurses, and they went full overkill on getting me fixed. Obviously my friends were of no use and kept encouraging them, which resulted in someone trying to pull my legs back over my head to help my blood flow or somesuch while all I wanted to do was lie down for a couple of minutes.  All the while the sound of Three Times a Lady was washing over me.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Quark said:

I really like it, had repeated listens so far.  Any particular reason for the lack of enthusiasm?

I should add that I've never really been an Orbital listener, so maybe I'm coming at it without any expectation of what it should be?

Just taken on a new client that involves talking to people a lot more rather than just coding and listening to music.  Which means I've not been able to listen to it in one go.

Well, that and the album doesn't seem as good as their others!

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Black Eyed Peas instead of Blur. Coldplay instead of Chems. Beyonce instead of QOTSA/The Streets. 

I mean I could go on in terms of hindsight mistakes but they're not really regrets, for one reason or another they were the right decisions at the time. Although when I mention I was at 09 and people immediately ask how good blur were sometimes I just lie and say how good they were.

I took my daughters (15 & 18) in 09 for their first time.. The youngest insisted she wanted to see Black Eyed Peas and as the eldest and i had tickets for Blur at Hyde Park the following week i relented...

I remember vividly being on the edge of the West Holts as my youngest bounced gleefully into the crowd with Will.i.am bellowing "Hello London...!!" and turning to look back at my eldest sitting on the tables looking absolutely crestfallen....

That night was a turning point for the over protective dad.... the following year was "here's some cash, see you later..."

Suffice to say, Hyde Park was full of pissed up bottle throwing twats... I still cant watch any of that set.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What do you think of the new album?  I've not had chance to listen to it in one go, but I was decidedly unimpressed.

I didn't think much of it on first listen but it's a real grower. Now I think it ranks up there with after Brown, Insides, Snivilisation, Green and Middle of Nowhere. Definitely loads better than The Altogether which is there only album I don't rate, although it does have some good tracks on it.