2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 hours ago, Fishman said:

This is my game and I give you ....

The Shamen over Pulp - '95; Primal Scream over Radiohead - '97; Basement Jaxx over Bowie - '00; Rod Stewart over anyone else - '02; No idea (Chems DJ?) over The White Stripes- '05; Again no idea over Neil Young - '09; The Streets over Beyonce - '11 ...

I'm sure there are others but the old grey matter is not what it was. In fact, there is evidence there that it was never up to much.

(I wish I'd kept notes of who I'd seen, when and where ....Keep a diary kids)

Holy hellfire. Don't take this the wrong way, but if I see you heading to watch a set I will probably stop to evaluate my choices and promptly walk in the other direction. You have clearly won this game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Fishman said:

This is my game and I give you ....

The Shamen over Pulp - '95; Primal Scream over Radiohead - '97; Basement Jaxx over Bowie - '00; Rod Stewart over anyone else - '02; No idea (Chems DJ?) over The White Stripes- '05; Again no idea over Neil Young - '09; The Streets over Beyonce - '11 ...

I'm sure there are others but the old grey matter is not what it was. In fact, there is evidence there that it was never up to much.

(I wish I'd kept notes of who I'd seen, when and where ....Keep a diary kids)

2007 - I made the still inexplicable decision to go watch the Kaiser fucking Chiefs over Arcade Fire.

Beat that.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

They are, but haven't done anything other than tour their old material for ten years now so it's a bit of a 'why now?' booking.

It's even a bit deeper than that. I'm not even one of those people who bangs on about needing new material or where on an album cycle it falls (and I don't think the bookers pay nearly as much attention to that as people on here). But their most recent set at Bestival, which while fantastic contained a whole 2 songs that were released since they last headlined the Pyramid Stage, 23 years ago and even I find that a bit static.

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Nope, sorry. But they can't both be doing it and not doing it. One of the bits of info has to be wrong.

Schroedinger’s Cure ??

Edit: Dammit beaten by @Quark. Note to self, finish reading the whole thread before commenting!

Edited by John the Moth
Bah!

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Why do shaggy instead of Chic?, I did both. Shaggy didn't start until after Chic....and then it was a late start.

Really? Dunno what happened then. Was it a clash with the last remaining BeeGee? Can't remember. 

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

2007 - I made the still inexplicable decision to go watch the Kaiser fucking Chiefs over Arcade Fire.

Beat that.

Well I did watch a full set from the Stereo MCs rather than QOTSA or Beyonce. Think I had become delirious by Sunday night that year.

(Having watching the Kaiser Chiefs just beforehand!)

Edited by rubenz

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Why do shaggy instead of Chic?, I did both. Shaggy didn't start until after Chic....and then it was a late start.

That late start was brilliant. Nile jumped onto the stage wearing his white Stratocaster and asked the crowd "ARE YOU READY???" before sheepishly sloping off because it turned out that the band wasn't.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Black Eyed Peas instead of Blur. Coldplay instead of Chems. Beyonce instead of QOTSA/The Streets. 

I mean I could go on in terms of hindsight mistakes but they're not really regrets, for one reason or another they were the right decisions at the time. Although when I mention I was at 09 and people immediately ask how good blur were sometimes I just lie and say how good they were.

17 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Yes he clashed with Bazza, I was holding on and holding on at the pyramid as long as I could, but eventually made my way to see shaggy, who was late and a huge disappointment. 

I'd been dragged to John Peel to get a decent spot for the not so secret Killers set, although they were decent I remember being quite annoyed as I really wanted to see Shaggy for nostalgic purposes- makes me feel better that i've heard a few people say how awful he was. Now i'm just slightly disappointed I missed the many faces of HAIM on the other. I did catch the end of Chic though which seemed ace.