2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I wasn't. I was referring to two different and suggestive-of-conflicting things I've heard about The Cure playing. Essentially one version says they're playing and the other version says they're not.

Maybe i'm giving the 'they're not' too much credibility because I personally find it hard to believe they'd be doing it, who knows?

2 hours ago, mufcok said:

Ah I see, all very interesting..

I'm inclined to think it's The Cure, Arctics and Macca and while Stormzy isn't headlining, he had a tease on Twitter as he's still been offered a big slot by subbing. A 2nd album may get him there but he's done nothing bigger than Brixton yet I don't believe as a sole gig bar Wireless and tbf none of those of his year or last year would be given headline here.

7 hours ago, Quark said:

Pffft. Try picking Bloc Party over Neil Young, then come talk to me :lol:

21 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I am Queen of shit-Glastonbury-Decision-Making so sure as hell not missing him again.

9 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I see your Bloc Party over Neil Young and raise you one Philip Glass over Adele. WTF was that?! Great lasers, mind

This is my game and I give you ....

The Shamen over Pulp - '95; Primal Scream over Radiohead - '97; Basement Jaxx over Bowie - '00; Rod Stewart over anyone else - '02; No idea (Chems DJ?) over The White Stripes- '05; Again no idea over Neil Young - '09; The Streets over Beyonce - '11 ...

I'm sure there are others but the old grey matter is not what it was. In fact, there is evidence there that it was never up to much.

(I wish I'd kept notes of who I'd seen, when and where ....Keep a diary kids)

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

ah yeah, forgot about that. And yep, there's pretty much the same thing going on in my head about it now for Glasto.

Can't remember if the same geezer said the cure to me back then, but he might have done.

strangely enough you also posted something back in the 2004 lead-up along the lines of 'there's a cure for glastonbury' where you had an inkling they were playing that year (check ur archives!)....which was also a Macca year

6 minutes ago, beau1 said:

I agree with you, but the pyramid headliner bookings over last 5-10 years have suggested that they want the Pyramid Stage to be rammed.

By and large, yeah, but there's the odd name here and there among headliners that are there on cred rather than being a crowd magnet. I can't imagine The Neiler was blocked out - the most popular topic regarding his set seems to be "who did you watch instead?". :P

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I bloody didn't.

That is good.

35 minutes ago, Fishman said:

This is my game and I give you ....

The Shamen over Pulp - '95; Primal Scream over Radiohead - '97; Basement Jaxx over Bowie - '00; Rod Stewart over anyone else - '02; No idea (Chems DJ?) over The White Stripes- '05; Again no idea over Neil Young - '09; The Streets over Beyonce - '11 ...

I'm sure there are others but the old grey matter is not what it was. In fact, there is evidence there that it was never up to much.

(I wish I'd kept notes of who I'd seen, when and where ....Keep a diary kids)

Ok, you have a full house

6 hours ago, Mash011 said:

This thread's having a bad time today. Ignore your personal love of them for a moment and remember that The Cure would be the weakest Glastonbury booking in an very long time. Culturally they're totally irrelevant in 2018 and they're not big enough to do it on legend status. Glasto ain't that desperate. The only way they play is if they accept something lower than headline which I don't think they would. 

Surely the Cure are bigger than Florence, Kasabian  and Arcade Fire?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Surely the Cure are bigger than Florence, Kasabian  and Arcade Fire?

Perhaps but they're also a zombie act that's been touring for ages without doing anything new. The standard of popularity for 'heritage' acts getting booked late in their career is a lot higher than for zeitgeisty modern acts.

1 minute ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I’m actually quite surprised at the negative reaction to The Cure, always thought of them being held in quite high regard

They are, but haven't done anything other than tour their old material for ten years now so it's a bit of a 'why now?' booking. I'm guessing they'll have a new album ready for release next year so that's something, but even still it doesn't feel like your typical Glastonbury headliner booking and they'd more than likely have a pretty dead crowd.

All that said, I'll be there front and centre crying my eyes out at finally getting to see Pictures of You live and loving every second of it.

1 minute ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I’m actually quite surprised at the negative reaction to The Cure, always thought of them being held in quite high regard

I would probably watch them as I had grudging respect for them, but could not admit it due to being a New Order and Depeche Mode fan. There was some weird thing going about years ago where fans of one of the bands did not like the other two. 

I have never seen a Pyramid headliner. The Cure would probably be my first, although I could be tempted elsewhere.

5 hours ago, FrancisH said:

I believe they substitute "Arab" with "another" - seamless.

That song title put me off listening to any of their stuff for over a decade! My dad was from Egypt and so I always thought they were some sort of racist nazi band! I do quite like them now (and I've always liked the book the song is actually based on), but I'm glad they've changed the title and lyrics of that song

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I love the old stuff and the IRS label Best Of... is great, even if I'm far more familiar with the new stuff.

But New Adventures in Hi-FI (and E-Bow especially) is sublime. 

Edit: I appreciate the use of the word "new" there is a bit odd, considering we're talking about the early nineties...

This is the correct opinion to have! I think automatic for the people is also very good