2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nope, sorry. But they can't both be doing it and not doing it. One of the bits of info has to be wrong.

Assuming by both you mean Macca and The Cure, any reason they can't both do it besides them being in the 'old' bracket? Not a great deal different from Neil Young/Springsteen doing it surely..

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

Assuming by both you mean Macca and The Cure, any reason they can't both do it besides them being in the 'old' bracket? Not a great deal different from Neil Young/Springsteen doing it surely..

Think he means they can't both be playing and not playing (as he has info suggesting each of these), not that The Cure and someone else can't both be headlining.

Just now, mufcok said:

Assuming by both you mean Macca and The Cure

I wasn't. I was referring to two different and suggestive-of-conflicting things I've heard about The Cure playing. Essentially one version says they're playing and the other version says they're not.

Maybe i'm giving the 'they're not' too much credibility because I personally find it hard to believe they'd be doing it, who knows?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I wasn't. I was referring to two different and suggestive-of-conflicting things I've heard about The Cure playing. Essentially one version says they're playing and the other version says they're not.

Maybe i'm giving the 'they're not' too much credibility because I personally find it hard to believe they'd be doing it, who knows?

Ah I see, all very interesting..

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

Tbf all of REM’s best stuff is from when Stipe had long hair and you couldn’t understand a word he was saying 

This. Very much this.  If you can track it down there was a Best Of... from the IRS label years, which is actually what got me into REM in the first place. Doesn't seem to be on Deezer or Spotify though.  Revisiting those pre-Green albums is definitely worth it.

In a way I'd put them in a similar bracket to the Cure, in as much as there are a few songs people will know from the radio, but a massive back catalogue beyond those that fans will know but your average Pyramid Joe wouldn't.

Cure have Love Cats, Boys Don't Cry, Friday I'm In Love, Close To Me, In Between Days, Just Like Heaven.  REM have Shiny Happy People, Losing My Religion, End Of The World, Everybody Hurts, Man On The Moon, Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite.

I'm very much in the REM camp, and I know full well that 90% of people wouldn't give a shit if they played something like Texarkana or Fall On Me, but I would absolutely lose my shit. Pretty sure that Cure fans would be the same about their tunes that don't get played on Absolute Radio.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

This. Very much this.  If you can track it down there was a Best Of... from the IRS label years, which is actually what got me into REM in the first place. Doesn't seem to be on Deezer or Spotify though.  Revisiting those pre-Green albums is definitely worth it.

In a way I'd put them in a similar bracket to the Cure, in as much as there are a few songs people will know from the radio, but a massive back catalogue beyond those that fans will know but your average Pyramid Joe wouldn't.

Cure have Love Cats, Boys Don't Cry, Friday I'm In Love, Close To Me, In Between Days, Just Like Heaven.  REM have Shiny Happy People, Losing My Religion, End Of The World, Everybody Hurts, Man On The Moon, Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite.

I'm very much in the REM camp, and I know full well that 90% of people wouldn't give a shit if they played something like Texarkana or Fall On Me, but I would absolutely lose my shit. Pretty sure that Cure fans would be the same about their tunes that don't get played on Absolute Radio.

I love the old stuff and the IRS label Best Of... is great, even if I'm far more familiar with the new stuff.

But New Adventures in Hi-FI (and E-Bow especially) is sublime. 

Edit: I appreciate the use of the word "new" there is a bit odd, considering we're talking about the early nineties...

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

It’s not that simplistic for me. I was a fan from quite early on (saw them in Hammersmith Palais on the Fables tour in ‘85), and whilst it would not bother me if I never heard the likes of Shiny Happy People again, I thought their albums were, on the whole, very good up to about Up. My favourite era was probably around Green, a transitional time and a great tour. 

Anyway, I digress. Back to The Cure. Meh!

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It’s not that simplistic for me. I was a fan from quite early on (saw them in Hammersmith Palais on the Fables tour in ‘85), and whilst it would not bother me if I never heard the likes of Shiny Happy People again, I thought their albums were, on the whole, very good up to about Up. My favourite era was probably around Green, a transitional time and a great tour. 

Anyway, I digress. Back to The Cure. Meh!

Don't get me wrong I do love the post-IRS stuff as well. Even have a soft spot for Reveal, which I know didn't get the best reception!  Point for me is that is that a lot of folks who hear them on the radio wouldn't even be aware of the earlier stuff.

If Cure get announced I'll do a similar and check out their other stuff, but I have no problem with putting myself in the casual radio listener bracket for their stuff so they don't hold a significant appeal for me :)

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Schrodinger's Lovecats

Edited by Quark
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Not seen the cure in a festival setting but did see them couple of years ago at Wembley arena. I would say I'm a casual fan, don't have all their albums or anything like that, but they were excellent. Ok Mr Smith not the chattiest of front men, but after Mr "We're gonna play all night" Grohl that could be a blessing. 

I'd be happier seeing them headline than macca, can't see his appeal beyond being a Beatle. Rather see the Bootleg Beatles headline. How many of the youth are interested in his recent output?

Has this REM conversation come from anywhere in particular? I would absolutely love them to play.. has this chat come from a rumour or?

In relation to what age of audience they appeal to: I'm 30 and love them but will admit I only really got into them as a result of my father when I was in my teens. I suspect a lot of the other people I hope to attend with who are a similar age wouldn't be that bothered though.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

“R.E.M, who are they again?”

”Don’t you remember back in 2010 when you heard the charity single Everybody Hurts sung by the likes of Leona Lewis and Joe McElderry? And you were inspired to find out more about who the original was by?”

”oh yeah I love R.E.M”

Got my picture taken with Michael Stipe once.

That`s me in the corner *

* I`m already wearing my coat.

3 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Unfortunately not. I think someone just said they were better than The Cure. 

It's stemmed from me.

I was trying to get across that I felt others artists music from that era had stood the test of time more than The Cure' and I used R.E.M as an example along with The Smiths.

15 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Has this REM conversation come from anywhere in particular? I would absolutely love them to play.. has this chat come from a rumour or?

In relation to what age of audience they appeal to: I'm 30 and love them but will admit I only really got into them as a result of my father when I was in my teens. I suspect a lot of the other people I hope to attend with who are a similar age wouldn't be that bothered though.

12 minutes ago, battleborn said:

It's come from the fact people we're trying to say The Cure we're bigger than R.E.M and similar bands of that era, which is bollocks.

Nah it came from someone saying The Cure's music hadn't travelled through to younger age groups on a par with other bands of that era like The Smiths and R.E.M

Few of us disagreed on the R.E.M part and then people randomly started saying that we'd claimed The Cure are bigger and/or better than R.E.M, or would get a bigger crowd at Glasto than them.

4 hours ago, Mash011 said:

This thread's having a bad time today. Ignore your personal love of them for a moment and remember that The Cure would be the weakest Glastonbury booking in an very long time. Culturally they're totally irrelevant in 2018 and they're not big enough to do it on legend status. Glasto ain't that desperate. The only way they play is if they accept something lower than headline which I don't think they would. 

Culturally irrelevant? Most modern indie bands name-check The Cure directly as an influence. It's that influence that led to them headlining R+L in 2012. If anything The Cure are more relevant now than when they last headlined in 95' or were last rumoured in 04'.