2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

so, info coming thick and fast. Only a few days ago I was arguing against this....

In the last 24 hours I've had two different whispers in my ear saying The Cure are headlining ... although one of them also comes with a separate bit of conflicting info that suggests - only suggests - that it might not be true.

Despite that this is one I have to take seriously. It shouldn't really be wrong, tho I do have a bit of trouble personally believing that its correct.

Would you say it's possible that conflating info could mean they're not headlining the Pyramid and actually headlining the Other, meaning both could potentially be right in one way? Or was it that they're not there at all?

18 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

Agree with you here don't know anyone who likes R.E.M that's my age, I can only name one of their songs and only because it was a default ringtone on my first phone.

Which one? Can’t believe there’s anyone who’s worked in an office in the last 20 years who doesn’t  know Shiny Happy People from the amount of plays it gets on Radio 2 alone. Likewise Losing My Religion seemed to constantly pop up on yer Smooth FMs etc when I used to have parents drive me anywhere. And it was also covered on Glee although I know that means very little these days.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Baffled at this Cure being bigger than REM development.  The same REM who've sold a substantial number of million copies of Automatic For The People?

The discussion was whether they were bigger with the youth of today. R.E.M. are unquestionably bigger with the olds of today, but whether that has been passed down is debatable.

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Which one? Can’t believe there’s anyone who’s worked in an office in the last 20 years who doesn’t  know Shiny Happy People from the amount of plays it gets on Radio 2 alone. Likewise Losing My Religion seemed to constantly pop up on yer Smooth FMs etc when I used to have parents drive me anywhere. And it was also covered on Glee although I know that means very little these days.

You paint an image of dystopia that the folks behind Shangri La could only dream of. 

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The discussion was whether they were bigger with the youth of today. R.E.M. are unquestionably bigger with the olds of today, but whether that has been passed down is debatable.

I can imagine them slipping out of fashion a bit due to being none more nineties, but still would be surprised if there are loads of copies of Three Imaginary Boys circling in the school playgrounds of the world. 

Regardless, only one of 'em would fill the Pyramid field.

Yeah, would say R.E.M are bigger than The Cure but The Cure have been taken up by the youth much more than R.E.M have. The Cure have that alternative cool factor about them - they're one of the first bands young people into alternative music will go back and discover. When I was a teenager all the current indie bands cited them as one of their biggest influences along with bands like The Smiths and Joy Division. R.E.M are nothing like that, in fact I'd say they're probably considered a bit of a dad band in the same way as U2?

For the record I only know Losing My Religion, Everybody Hurts, The One I Love (because it was on Guitar Hero) and Orange Crush (because Editors covered it) by them.

Before I actively went back and listened to The Cure I knew Close to Me (was always on music TV channels), Friday I'm In Love, Boys Don't Cry and Lullaby (Editors cover, again), and when listening to their greatest hits for the first time I recognised a few more.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

Yeah, when I was at school your standard 'Best Bands Ever' for the NME indie kids would usually include The Cure, usually an also-ran behind your Smiths and Joy Divisions, but still in there. 

Admittedly the receding memory of the indie landfill years has probably diminished that a fair bit, but can't imagine that's coincided with a massive upsurge in love for Stipe and the lads

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

Yeah, when I was at school your standard 'Best Bands Ever' for the NME indie kids would usually include The Cure, usually an also-ran behind your Smiths and Joy Divisions, but still in there. 

Admittedly the receding memory of the indie landfill years has probably diminished that a fair bit, but can't imagine that's coincided with a massive upsurge in love for Stipe and the lads

Thing is though it's the people who were kids during the indie landfill years that are now the young people at Glasto. It's the early 20s people that we should be worried about turning up to see them rather than the current schoolkids.

16 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Which one? Can’t believe there’s anyone who’s worked in an office in the last 20 years who doesn’t  know Shiny Happy People from the amount of plays it gets on Radio 2 alone. Likewise Losing My Religion seemed to constantly pop up on yer Smooth FMs etc when I used to have parents drive me anywhere. And it was also covered on Glee although I know that means very little these days.#

It was Losing My Religion, the speaker was so bad on the phone it sounded more like the tetris theme. I'm more of an Absolute / Radio X kinda person

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Thing is though it's the people who were kids during the indie landfill years that are now the young people at Glasto. It's the early 20s people that we should be worried about turning up to see them rather than the current schoolkids.

I was talking purely about whether they’re bigger than R.E.M. among da yoof 

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The consecutive massive trios in 2016 and 2017 will almost certainly have inspired casual observers to try for tickets this year with unrealistic expectations about who they’ll get to see, so booking both Stormzy and The Cure in 2019 sounds like a perfect way to nip that in the bud and go back to what Emily was saying a while ago about wanting to put less emphasis on the headliners. Dunno.

Where did Emily say this? Interesting if that is the aim!

13 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

For the record I only know Losing My Religion, Everybody Hurts, The One I Love (because it was on Guitar Hero) and Orange Crush (because Editors covered it) by them.

I'm not a huge fan or anything but I'd surprised if you didn't recognise one, if not all, of End Of The World As We Know It, Shiny Happy People and Man On The Moon. 

Just now, The Martini Police said:

I'm not a huge fan or anything but I'd surprised if you didn't recognise one, if not all, of End Of The World As We Know It, Shiny Happy People and Man On The Moon. 

I listened to Shiny Happy People after Rose-Colored Boy's post but didn't recognise it. Will give the others a bash and see if I know them.

I don't work in an office or have parents that play Smooth FM so maybe that's why :P

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I listened to Shiny Happy People after Rose-Colored Boy's post but didn't recognise it. Will give the others a bash and see if I know them.

I don't work in an office or have parents that play Smooth FM so maybe that's why :P

Tbf all of REM’s best stuff is from when Stipe had long hair and you couldn’t understand a word he was saying