2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I remember you getting into for The Cure at R&L in 2012 and saying you didn't necessarily think it would end up being true (I think just because of them not being a perfect fit for the festival)

ah yeah, forgot about that. And yep, there's pretty much the same thing going on in my head about it now for Glasto.

Can't remember if the same geezer said the cure to me back then, but he might have done.

This thread's having a bad time today. Ignore your personal love of them for a moment and remember that The Cure would be the weakest Glastonbury booking in an very long time. Culturally they're totally irrelevant in 2018 and they're not big enough to do it on legend status. Glasto ain't that desperate. The only way they play is if they accept something lower than headline which I don't think they would. 

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ah yeah, forgot about that. And yep, there's pretty much the same thing going on in my head about it now for Glasto.

Can't remember if the same geezer said the cure to me back then, but he might have done.

Good stuff. I don't necessarily disagree with you (I myself didn't think they were likely to headline Glasto), but I can also see them looking at BST sales last year and thinking along the lines of "Well there's enough interest there still to get them back for one final time whilst our headliner pool is constantly shrinking", especially if some of the other heritage acts want to do 2020 instead (Fleetwood Mac, Madonna, Elton).

I don't really know what The Cure's standing in the musical climate was in 1995, but I guess this is the first time they'd be headlining as a kind of legendary/heritage act?

Read the other week in the Mad Cool 2019 thread that they're supposed to be doing festivals next Summer so it fits in terms of that.

Edit: Just had a look back and they're already confirmed for a festival in South Africa in March.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

This thread's having a bad time today. Ignore your personal love of them for a moment and remember that The Cure would be the weakest Glastonbury booking in an very long time. Culturally they're totally irrelevant in 2018 and they're not big enough to do it on legend status. Glasto ain't that desperate. The only way they play is if they accept something lower than headline which I don't think they would. 

I don't disagree with this, but at the same time they'd probably go down as well on the night as the likes of Arcade Fire and Metallica, so if their first choice bookings aren't willing I don't think they're a disastrous back up choice. Especially if, like I said in my post above, other more suitable heritage acts want to play in 2020 instead.

And if paired with a duo like Arctic Monkeys and Macca (pretty much the best modern act and best older act they could possibly book) they wouldn't really have anything to worry about.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't disagree with this, but at the same time they'd probably go down as well on the night as the likes of Arcade Fire and Metallica, so if their first choice bookings aren't willing I don't think they're a disastrous back up choice. Especially if, like I said in my post above, other more suitable heritage acts want to play in 2020 instead.

And if paired with a duo like Arctic Monkeys and Macca (pretty much the best modern act and best older act they could possibly book) they wouldn't really have anything to worry about.

I dunno both those bookings make a lot more sense, Arcade Fire had those 'culturally relevant' points and Metallica had enough cultural standing to do it as a one off wild card booking. The Cure did it a bunch of times in their day but now they're just an old band that tours constantly and hasn't even put music out in ages. I really think Glasto would book another up and comer before giving it to them. 

On 9/17/2018 at 9:14 AM, eFestivals said:

.... oooo .... hearing stuff. Just double-checking if I can (loosely) repeat.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:17 AM, Gucci Piggy said:

If it ain't The Cure I ain't wanna know.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

In the last 24 hours I've had two different whispers in my ear saying The Cure are headlining

Law of attraction doing bits over here.

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

especially if some of the other heritage acts want to do 2020 instead (Fleetwood Mac, Madonna, Elton).

Remember that the only thing we know about 2020 is that two headliners had approached the fest and provisionally agreed to play over three years before the festival. I could see Elton having done that seeing as he’s plotted a three year farewell tour recently but I don’t see the other two just saying right off that they’ll do it without trying to get a good deal.

9 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I dunno both those bookings make a lot more sense, Arcade Fire had those 'culturally relevant' points and Metallica had enough cultural standing to do it as a one off wild card booking. The Cure did it a bunch of times in their day but now they're just an old band that tours constantly and hasn't even put music out in ages. I really think Glasto would book another up and comer before giving it to them. 

Yep, those bookings made a lot more sense, and when we were first discussing it I said that even though they'd go down as well as those acts I couldn't see Glasto booking The Cure.

But I'm thinking that if they are headlining it's likely that Glasto couldn't get their primary targets (the massive oldies plus Kendrick, namely), and see The Cure as a bit of a safety net. Glasto don't seem to be in the business of booking up and coming headliners right now, and with an ever-decreasing pool of headliners they may see it as better in the long run to book The Cure as a weaker headliner alongside one or two giants in 2019 (Macca and maybe AM), leaving themselves with the options of The 1975 and Stormzy in a couple of years when they've proven themselves elsewhere and there may be less options for Glasto in a certain year.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Would go ham for Ri Ri

She's got an article in today's Guardian championing education for young people around the world who, for varying reasons, miss out.

If that's not a come-and-get-me plea to the Eavii, I don't know what is. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/18/rihanna-barbados-school-lucky-education-poverty

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Remember that the only thing we know about 2020 is that two headliners had approached the fest and provisionally agreed to play over three years before the festival. I could see Elton having done that seeing as he’s plotted a three year farewell tour recently but I don’t see the other two just saying right off that they’ll do it without trying to get a good deal.

Fair play, I know Neil said some acts had specifically asked to play in 2020 but I didn't know if it was how you've described, or more of a "Will you headline next year?" "We'll headline but we want to play in 2020 instead".

3 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Macca and the Cure are now odds on to headline:

Macca 8/11

The Cure 10/11

Those will just be direct results of Neil's info, though. Either from the bookies checking this site or from one or two posters from here going and sticking a bet on after Neil has posted. For such a small market it would probably only take a couple of bets on The Cure to make them think and shorten the odds.

5 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Those will just be direct results of Neil's info, though. Either from the bookies checking this site or from one or two posters from here going and sticking a bet on after Neil has posted. For such a small market it would probably only take a couple of bets on The Cure to make them think and shorten the odds.

Totally agree, it even seems like they are just reading this thread and updating accordingly!  Not sure where they get Madge as third favourite from though as I thought the rumours on her had died lately, she's into 11/8 from 10/3.

34 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Whilst I love the Cure, and I do agree on the relevance point in 2018, a lot of past headliners arguably fit into some of those categories, it wouldn't be totally unprecedented for them to book a band like that to headline.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

As a 22 year old I'd say they've stood the test of time way better than R.E.M - don't think I've ever met anyone my age who's into R.E.M, whereas The Cure have always been a pretty essential band for those with more alternative tastes.

Agree with you here don't know anyone who likes R.E.M that's my age, I can only name one of their songs and only because it was a default ringtone on my first phone. As for The Cure, pretty much every time I go to an indie club they'll play a Cure song and they're well liked by people my age.

On another note very very happy with the way things are looking The Cure, AM and Macca are all people who i'd probably go to. The Cure being most dependent on what else was going on.

Edited by Radi0Head

6 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Could aphex Twin headline? I know he won't but is he big enough, could he do it? Interesting debate 

No chance. There were murmurs the other year that they wanted him to headline West Holts and he wanted to headline Other. I couldn't even see them booking him for the Other Stage - if bands like LCD Soundsystem draw poor crowds headlining that stage I think Aphex Twin's crowd would be embarrassing. He's just too much of a niche concern. Would be an amazing WH headliner if he did accept it, though.