2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Anyway, can't see them having a third older headliner, and can't see them having Stormzy along with The Cure, as it seems too weak for what Glasto currently aim for.

Leaves me with Arctic Monkeys as the most likely third headliner, and Kendrick as the other option, who would make a more rounded trio, but whom I have doubts over for other reasons.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Anyway, can't see them having a third older headliner, and can't see them having Stormzy along with The Cure, as it seems too weak for what Glasto currently aim for.

Leaves me with Arctic Monkeys as the most likely third headliner, and Kendrick as the other option, who would make a more rounded trio, but whom I have doubts over for other reasons.

Badgirl RiRi completes the set best of anyone. She’s only a few tour dates, maybe a song away from being launched into contention surely?

If it's The Cure and Macca does that leave us with Stormzy, Arctics or Madge as the final? I was certain it would be Arctics before this news.

The Cure seems a strange booking to me though, great for the fans etc just not a booking that would fill the field up. I could be wrong but i'd expect a half empty field depending on who's on other stages. 

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

As a 22 year old I'd say they've stood the test of time way better than R.E.M - don't think I've ever met anyone my age who's into R.E.M, whereas The Cure have always been a pretty essential band for those with more alternative tastes.

Yeah, The Smiths have stood the test of time better for sure, but I'd say The Cure are just below them along with the likes of Joy Division, and above the likes of Depeche Mode in terms of younger appeal.

It's all subjective I suppose.

In terms of a headline festival slot in the current day I do think that folks aged 30 and below are likely to find something more appealing to watch than The Cure though.

I think in terms of R.E.M i strongly believe they'd draw a bigger crowd than The Cure across all age demographics.

The consecutive massive trios in 2016 and 2017 will almost certainly have inspired casual observers to try for tickets this year with unrealistic expectations about who they’ll get to see, so booking both Stormzy and The Cure in 2019 sounds like a perfect way to nip that in the bud and go back to what Emily was saying a while ago about wanting to put less emphasis on the headliners. Dunno.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Despite being around when The Cure were releasing their iconic stuff, and being into roughly that kind of music at the time (alternative/indie, whatever you wish to call it), they never really did it for me. I think it’s Robert Smith’s voice as much as anything. The one time I did see them was Glastonbury 1986, and I’ve no great desire to see him in his lipstick and oversized trainers again.

Just now, henry bear said:

Despite being around when The Cure were releasing their iconic stuff, and being into roughly that kind of music at the time (alternative/indie, whatever you wish to call it), they never really did it for me. I think it’s Robert Smith’s voice as much as anything. The one time I did see them was Glastonbury 1986, and I’ve no great desire to see him in his lipstick and oversized trainers again.

Sort of with you here .... and if the likes of you & me aren't going, what sort of crowd will they get?

I saw them in '95 and got bored and wandered off half way through. The one upside was the weather was cracking that year, so if they bring the sunshine to melt everyone dressed in black again ... bring 'em on.

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The consecutive massive trios in 2016 and 2017 will almost certainly have inspired casual observers to try for tickets this year with unrealistic expectations about who they’ll get to see, so booking both Stormzy and The Cure in 2019 sounds like a perfect way to nip that in the bud and go back to what Emily was saying a while ago about wanting to put less emphasis on the headliners. Dunno.

Stormzy doesn’t really count in this. If he’s headlining then it’s because he’s released a new album that’s made him one of the biggest UK pop stars. The expectation is that he’s supposed to appeal to the more casual fans of music.

1 minute ago, theevilfridge said:

Swifty’s gotta be a shout too? I know she won’t have anything new out before the fest, but as she’s not played before that’s not really an issue - could see her doing it as a one-off, like Kanye.

She doesn’t really have a history of doing festivals. It would be somewhat surprising for her to do it and more so if she did it while on break between albums. Not impossible but I’d say next time she’s on tour presents a more likely opportunity.

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Would go ham for Ri Ri

Given the one time I saw her she was absolute dross, I wouldn't be beating a path to the stage. It was during her slightly messy phase around 2011 ish when she was having some booze problems I believe, but it really was fucking dreadful.

7 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

Swifty’s gotta be a shout too? I know she won’t have anything new out before the fest, but as she’s not played before that’s not really an issue - could see her doing it as a one-off, like Kanye.

Has been known to play one-off shows but 2015 was the perfect opportunity and it didn’t happen despite the Eavii being so desperate for a headliner that they literally got a band to cancel a show in another country. Don’t see why it would happen ever if it didn’t happen then.

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I don't think they're going to purposely disappoint their new customers in the hope of stopping them coming again.

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I’ve done it again, not catching up. I know why Paul McCartney is strongly rumoured but why The Cure?

Neil's had whispers from two people in the last 24 hours that they're headlining.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Stormzy doesn’t really count in this. If he’s headlining then it’s because he’s released a new album that’s made him one of the biggest UK pop stars. The expectation is that he’s supposed to appeal to the more casual fans of music.

Yes but he isn’t going to have Coldplay or Sheeranator-levels of mass appeal, is what I mean. He’d draw a healthy number of people to the field but newbies wouldn’t be scrambling to register for tickets in September 2019 thinking “wow I really hope they get a headliner as big as Stormzy again”. 

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't think they're going to purposely disappoint their new customers in the hope of stopping them coming again.

Neil's had whispers from two people in the last 24 hours that they're headlining.

Obviously they wouldn’t do it purposely, they run a business, but they could very easily look at it positively from that angle if it happened.

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Given the one time I saw her she was absolute dross, I wouldn't be beating a path to the stage. It was during her slightly messy phase around 2011 ish when she was having some booze problems I believe, but it really was fucking dreadful.

Certainly wouldn't expect the most memorable live musical extravaganza but would definitely turn up pissed for the bangers and probs not even notice if it was shit.

19 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Has been known to play one-off shows but 2015 was the perfect opportunity and it didn’t happen despite the Eavii being so desperate for a headliner that they literally got a band to cancel a show in another country. Don’t see why it would happen ever if it didn’t happen then.

Well documented that she doesn't reallllllly enjoy festival shows as she prefers to focus on her own set up. Understandable really as it would be a completely different ball park for her. She could do it and it would be a roaring success but I imagine it is highly unlikely.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I can't really imagine it'd be The Cure and Macca. Doesn't feel right to me.

But it's what someone told me, and in theory what he tells me should be accurate (it mostly is, but isn't always).

I remember you getting into for The Cure at R&L in 2012 and saying you didn't necessarily think it would end up being true (I think just because of them not being a perfect fit for the festival), so hopefully this one has the same outcome :P