2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, SloopJohnB said:

Macca and the Cure would probably rule out Arctic Monkeys?

I was going to post the same but thought people would pounce on me ? The argument will probably be yes it’s lacking in diversity but if they had the chance to book such a strong trio then they would have to go for it.

As a trio it wouldn’t look right for me in 2019 and any questions about lack of diversity would be justified, but I can’t really blame them for bagging such a strong trio if true!

6 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Macca and the Cure would probably rule out Arctic Monkeys?

I would have thought that Macca would rule out The Cure and The Cure would rule out Macca - so who knows?

I guess that if they make approaches to bands thinking one or more of them won't come off because they're not a great fit together and then they do come off, they stick with them - so i'd say it wouldn't be impossible for AMs. They seem the most logical of almost any act.

2 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Honestly don't get the cure , but if a band can sell out Hyde park I guess I must be totally wrong.

they play so few UK gigs and have such a dedicated fan base that they're always going to sell-out shows like that. My own view is that they're less-good for festivals, but I'm not the one doing the bookings.

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

they play so few UK gigs and have such a dedicated fan base that they're always going to sell-out shows like that. My own view is that they're less-good for festivals, but I'm not the one doing the bookings.

I do agree, like apart from a few big hits I can't tell you a single thing their have done in the last decade.

Seems to be a week headliner 

10 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

I do agree, like apart from a few big hits I can't tell you a single thing their have done in the last decade.

Seems to be a week headliner 

The last decade? They haven't had anything out since 2008 according to Wikipedia.

With the singles from the last album being ridiculously successful in Spain of all places. Three numbers ones and a number 2! I'm

As for here can you guess what their last top ten hit was? That's right Friday I'm In Love, 26 years ago.

From the rumours, I'd choose Macca, AM and The Killers (are they still rumoured? I know they were last year after the secret set)

Not a fan of The Cure. Saw them at Reading in 2012, and that was enough for me.

There will always be something else on if they do headline though so I won't be left out!

Couldn't be more meh from my point of view if the cure were to headline. As a 29 year old with an eclectic view on music they've not really ever even been on my radar. What would they get in crowd terms? Surely relatively small for a pyramid headliner given other folks views on their niche fan base.

Guess i'll just have to find something on one of the 50+ other stages to watch.

What a bloody chore :lol:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the crowd - who wouldn't be full of Cure fans - less so. :P

If there’s a big modern dance act on the Other that field would be rammed. They’re definitely not the kind of act that non-fans would wander long to out of curiosity.

Just now, jparx said:

If there’s a big modern dance act on the Other that field would be rammed. They’re definitely not the kind of act that non-fans would wander long to out of curiosity.

Or even if they do decide to check them out they’ll soon be turning the other way. Can imagine it being a particularly noticeable mass exodus pretty early on.

5 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

The Cure would be a perfect fit for Glasto. Just perfect. 

I'm also baffled by the fact that some people are claiming their audience to be 'niche'. They're quite mainstream, no? I mean: my mother and sister will know more Cure songs than they know songs by, let's say, Metallica, Arcade Fire, Kanye West, Gorillaz or Radiohead. Or The 1975/Stormzy, for that matter. 

I just don't think their music has traveled through to my age group (and beyond?) on par with other bands of that era.

The likes of say The Smiths and R.E.M seem to have stood the test of time whereas The Cure simply haven't from my point of view. Yes I could sing the chorus to Friday i'm in love and perhaps a couple of others but i'm genuinely not interested in them at all.

• Upvote 1

I can understand the Cure Friday booking budget wise if they are going after Macca and Madonna for the other two days

In terms of the mainstream/niche debate;

Radiohead who are often though of as a pretty niche none mainstream band (my Dad had never heard of them for a start)  have had 6 studio albums that have charted at number 1, one of which was only 2 years ago.

The Cure have had have 1 studio album that has charted at number 1 which was in 1992 (the year of my birth)

I also heard Radiohead didn't exactly pack out the Pyramid field last year so unsure what kind of crowd the Cure would get. 

13 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Stormzy, Ms Lauryn Hill

Arctic Monkeys, Lady Gaga, Dua Lipa

Paul McCartney, Liam Gallagher; George Ezra, Kylie

Se what you mean with Gaga... Would she not want to headline though? In fact I could go for your estimate completely .. Would have to pop off for a sneaky Brothers during Liam though 

Might be fewer people at the Pyramid Stage for The Cure but if rumours are true I'll be there dressed head to toe in black, belting out Fascination Street and swinging a Robert Smith t-shirt that I bought from Covent Garden market on a school trip in 2007 around like a flag. Don't think they're niche and didn't miss the boat and I'm 24. Viva The Cure!

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I just don't think their music has traveled through to my age group (and beyond?) on par with other bands of that era.

The likes of say The Smiths and R.E.M seem to have stood the test of time whereas The Cure simply haven't from my point of view. Yes I could sing the chorus to Friday i'm in love and perhaps a couple of others but i'm genuinely not interested in them at all.

Spot on. I’m more interested than others my age, but I’ve taken the time to actively get in to them in recent years. The vast majority of people I know under 30 know the name and that’s about it. The people that actually know their music are in to Friday I’m in Love and that’s about it.

They’re an ideal headliner for me. I’d definitely watch them and enjoy it, but I’m open to the other stages if something really interesting is booked. They will be a backup headliner that i’d really enjoy essentially.