2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

So after a long, long, long day, I've nabbed my free drink from the hotel bar, sat down to read up on the ticket news release and then.... there it is. Macca. SR. Sweet mother of Jebus, let it be true.

I wasn't there in 04 but Macca at Anfield in 08 was one of the gigs of my life. Mind blowing, Now shitting myself for T-Day.

2 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Sex isn't great tbf but I dunno what you're going after Chocolate for. Nice tune.

I don't even hate The 1975 or that song but going around telling The 1975 are amazing and MBV are boring is Gazza-level.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

MBV were utter dirge who were hyped up by the NME and Melody Maker in response to them missing out totally on the emergence of acid house and the rave scene. Plus they needed their own next big thing after Madchester had the audacity to spring up without the weeklies permission.  They stuck the boot in on Madchester are promoted shite like MBV and the shoe gazing scene.

MBV are the epitome of pretentious noodling. 

I mean, I've no problem with you not liking them but most music publications class them as a top tier band, so obviously it isn't just NME and Melody Maker hyping them up. One of them doesn't exist anymore and the other probably hasn't mentioned the band for a decade, yet Loveless is still hailed as a classic 27 years after its release (and the other albums are commonly seen as top stuff, too). Doubt you'll find many 'best of the 90s' lists that it isn't on.

They're not exactly the Vaccines of the 80s/90s.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The whole album's good. Shows how strong the melodies on Loveless are without the waves of distortion and tremolo.

It me, the joke killer, here to point out that the the waves of distortion and tremolo are so crucial to MBV’s project of pushing the very form of rock music out to its furthest edges to the point where it tips over into amniotic ambient bliss that the melodies on their own are kind of missing the point.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not a big enough fan to judge whether this is any good or not, but I'm guessing tons of Beatles stuff + minimal solo stuff is what the people want right? Although can't help but notice there's no Jet in there which disappoints me. Bet the place went off when he opened with it in '04.

8 hours ago, eastynh said:

MBV were utter dirge who were hyped up by the NME and Melody Maker in response to them missing out totally on the emergence of acid house and the rave scene. Plus they needed their own next big thing after Madchester had the audacity to spring up without the weeklies permission.  They stuck the boot in on Madchester are promoted shite like MBV and the shoe gazing scene.

MBV are the epitome of pretentious noodling. 

Not sure your timelines quite work here fella.  You Made Me Realise came out at pretty much the exact same time as the likes of Wrote for Luck, Elephant Stone and Voodoo Ray.

And maybe I'm misremembering but the weekly press were all over Madchester like a rash.  

so, info coming thick and fast. Only a few days ago I was arguing against this....

In the last 24 hours I've had two different whispers in my ear saying The Cure are headlining ... although one of them also comes with a separate bit of conflicting info that suggests - only suggests - that it might not be true.

Despite that this is one I have to take seriously. It shouldn't really be wrong, tho I do have a bit of trouble personally believing that its correct.

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so, info coming thick and fast. Only a few days ago I was arguing against this....

In the last 24 hours I've had two different whispers in my ear saying The Cure are headlining ... although one of them also comes with a separate bit of conflicting info that suggests - only suggests - that it might not be true.

Despite that this is one I have to take seriously. It shouldn't really be wrong, tho I do have a bit of trouble personally believing that its correct.

Macca and the Cure would probably rule out Arctic Monkeys?

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm not a big enough fan to judge whether this is any good or not, but I'm guessing tons of Beatles stuff + minimal solo stuff is what the people want right? Although can't help but notice there's no Jet in there which disappoints me. Bet the place went off when he opened with it in '04.

I'd guess at, at least one other Beatles song earlier to but as said quite standard.

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

Blimey. I do feel as though The Cure are a bit of a strange headliner in 2019. A very cool booking if true, but I always had them in the Depeche and Stone Roses group as being not quite broad enough, or new enough to get the nod. 

I don’t think Stone Roses fall in to that bracket but I agree with the sentiment. I know they’ve had a little bit of renewed love from here and there but definitely didn’t expect them to be the kind of band Glastonbury would book to headline these days. That said, incredible if true, and half empty Pyramid field aside I’m sure they’ll nail it. Definitely not one who are gonna win over new fans/casual observers mind.

Third headliner should be interesting. Wonder if they’ll go full old-timer like ‘09 and have Madonna or if they’ll cater to the youth with Arctics/a more recent act. 

18 minutes ago, jparx said:

Blimey. I do feel as though The Cure are a bit of a strange headliner in 2019. A very cool booking if true, but I always had them in the Depeche and Stone Roses group as being not quite broad enough, or new enough to get the nod. 

I think maybe with the resurgence of them recently the fest might feel that it's a good chance to get them. Looked at their sales of recent and Hyde Park.

2 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Macca and the Cure would probably rule out Arctic Monkeys?

Nope, Arctics would could still very much play. It's not major different from Neil Young, Bruce and Blur except Blur were way older than Arctics.