2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Come to think about it, the last four post-fallow years have contained a headliner who played the previous festival. And the last two have featured the Arctic Monkeys and a 60’s rock band so that’s what it’ll be sorry Rob Smith and Maradona and whatever.

Stormzy, Arctic Monkeys, Fleetwood Mac confirmed.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

any early listen could be a track or two, not necessarily the whole album.

That could potentially be a huge gamble, I wonder if they have ever done that and subsequently booked an act high and then realised that their album flopped so they dropped them further down the lineup. 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Off the top of my head I can't think of any who have, but that's exactly the sort of thing an act on the rise should really be doing.

Seems as though Mumford and sons are the only one I can see that subbed the other then headlined the Pyramid by the next one and i'm sure lots of people would like to forget that happened! Still though it's massive for Stormzy if so. 

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Seems as though Mumford and sons are the only one I can see that subbed the other then headlined the Pyramid by the next one and i'm sure lots of people would like to forget that happened! Still though it's massive for Stormzy if so. 

Coldplay went from 7th down Other to headlining Pyramid in one festival.

The Killers went from subbing the Pyramid to headlining it in one festival, and The Prodigy went from headlining Other to headlining The Pyramid in one festival. That's barely any different from what Stormzy would be doing, to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Tinie Tempah had more bangers tbh.

Man was a banger dispensary and a household name.

I used to think that FKA Not The Weather headlining was the crowning of a scene but guy ditched that scene and is out on his own in the pop world, and now that the kids got rid of Grime quicker than Cillit Bang and upped sticks to Drill and Afro Bashment it doesn’t seem all that urgent. I’m for new headliners but I think he’ll sub y’know.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The Killers went from subbing the Pyramid to headlining it in one festival, and The Prodigy went from headlining Other to headlining The Pyramid in one festival. That's barely any different from what Stormzy would be doing, to be honest.

I think it's fair to say anything with Coldplay at Glastonbury defies belief but the rise from Parachutes to Rush of Blood would have warranted that push up the lineup. 

The Killers on the other hand...Wasn't that after a fallow year as well? I'm assuming that was after Sam's Town did quite well? As it couldn't have been the next 2. 

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

I think it's fair to say anything with Coldplay at Glastonbury defies belief but the rise from Parachutes to Rush of Blood would have warranted that push up the lineup. 

The Killers on the other hand...Wasn't that after a fallow year as well? I'm assuming that was after Sam's Town did quite well? As it couldn't have been the next 2. 

Yeah it definitely will have warranted the push, but if they book Stormzy to headline then that'll be because they think his new album warrants the push.

Yeah The Killers was after a fallow year and after Sam's Town was released.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Still not sold that Stormzy isn’t just the new Tinie Tempah and we’re getting way ahead of ourselves.

100% this. I like Stormzy, fair fooking play to the guy, but all of this talk of him being headliner just doesn't feel sensible at this point. I still stand by the feeling that while he could one day be a headliner, if he was in 2019 he'd go down as one of the weakest headliners of all time. A 2 hour set? Really?

It's hard to say as everyone is (semi) anonymous on here, but a lot of those tipping Stormzy to headline seem to me to be some of the older folk being a tiny bit out of touch. I mean that with the greatest respect, I'm not a music expert at all and I probably know less than 99% of you here, so I could be spouting utter bollocks, but it just feels that because he's the next big thing, it seems 'hip' to tip him for a headliner slot when in reality he's really just at the 'end of the beginning' of his career as some might say.

I feel I may have been unintentionally offensive there but it's probably too late...! ?

Edited by EamerRed

1 minute ago, EamerRed said:

100% this. I like Stormzy, fair fooking play to the guy, but all of this talk of him being headliner just doesn't feel sensible at this point. I still stand by the feeling that while he could one day be a headliner, if he was in 2019 he'd go down as one of the weakest headliners of all time. A 2 hour set? Really?

It's hard to say as everyone is (semi) anonymous on here, but a lot of those tipping Stormzy to headline seem to me to be some of the older folk being a tiny bit out of touch. I mean that with the greatest respect, I'm not a music expert at all and I probably know less than 99% of you here, so I could be spouting utter bollocks, but it just feels that because he's the next big thing, it seems 'hip' to tip him for a headliner slot when in reality he's really just at the 'end of the beginning' of his career as some might say.

I feel I may have been unintentionally offensive there but it's probably too late...! ?

I can only say that as an older folk I am offended that you state I am a tiny bit out of touch! I am definitely completely out of touch?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

:lol: 

Stormzy sort-of tipped himself. I wouldn't really be thinking it might be happening without that tweet.

And yes, it'd be earlier than than normally happens, but there are other reasons why Glasto might think it'd work. For example, they've only had American rappers headline so far - and if a British rapper is going to do it anytime soon then Stormzy is waaay out in front.

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

and...

....Ash went from playing somewhere down the Other to headlining the Pyramid in about one day

24 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

He wouldn't be doing a 2 hour set, though, seeing as those are clearly only given to acts who request one. Sheeran did 1.5 hours last year.

I don't think that many people tipping Stormzy are older. In fact we keep getting a lot of older posters laughing at the idea and saying it's ridiculous (and also saying the same thing about The 1975). I'm 22 and I know at least a few other people who've been predicting him to headline are of similar ages.

Yeah, right now it seems a strange notion, but the point is we're predicting that his second album will continue the success of his first, in which case it wouldn't look so weird. If after Mumford and Sons' first album people were predicting them to headline it'd have seemed strange. It just so happened that their second album came out in the September before the festival so most suggestions of them came after that point, when it seemed a more believable idea.

If Stormzy's new album came out this month, went straight to number one and had a hit single or two on it I think there'd be much less opposition to the idea on here. The point is that we're predicting that that will happen at some point between now and next June.

38 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

CF7D8697-6118-4854-80AD-A96281A2B8FC.png

36 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

I had the intention of shouting you down for that, but realised I'd forgotten why I came in here in the first place so I made a cup of tea instead.

I'm also wearing slippers. At work. You may have a point.

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

He wouldn't be doing a 2 hour set, though, seeing as those are clearly only given to acts who request one. Sheeran did 1.5 hours last year.

I don't think that many people tipping Stormzy are older. In fact we keep getting a lot of older posters laughing at the idea and saying it's ridiculous (and also saying the same thing about The 1975). I'm 22 and I know at least a few other people who've been predicting him to headline are of similar ages.

Yeah, right now it seems a strange notion, but the point is we're predicting that his second album will continue the success of his first, in which case it wouldn't look so weird. If after Mumford and Sons' first album people were predicting them to headline it'd have seemed strange. It just so happened that their second album came out in the September before the festival so most suggestions of them came after that point, when it seemed a more believable idea.

If Stormzy's new album came out this month, went straight to number one and had a hit single or two on it I think there'd be much less opposition to the idea on here. The point is that we're predicting that that will happen at some point between now and next June.

Mumfords broke America though. They were the biggest band in the world for a second or two, and bands don't fall out of style quite as easily as chart-bothering, Brit Award-winning British rappers.