2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sooner or later it always comes back to whether acts see Glastonbury as being as important as we do.

Well how do you gauge it from this?

Asked if they might headline Glastonbury next year, Smith replied: “Yeah, maybe. We haven’t had a happy history with Glastonbury over the years. Although we’ve headlined three times, we’ve never been on the best of terms. I don’t know if they forgive and forget. There are enough other festivals for us to play.”

:P

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Asked if they might headline Glastonbury next year, Smith replied: “Yeah, maybe. We haven’t had a happy history with Glastonbury over the years. Although we’ve headlined three times, we’ve never been on the best of terms. I don’t know if they forgive and forget. There are enough other festivals for us to play.”

Ambiguous :lol:

1 minute ago, Tommy101 said:

Are they in the same ball park at Smashing Pumpkins who agreed to play the Other? Also band's ego aside could this be another move towards the 'two main stages' and 6 headliners vibe that they've been trying to get at since the new bigger Other stage(s)?

I don't know with the Pumpkins.  I suspect that their pulling power / clout / whatever you want to call it would be higher this time around with Iha and Chamberlain back on board.

I guess the main thing for me is just whether they can get three better headliners (by better I mean more suitable for the masses). I don't think you can really argue that The Cure couldn't headline Glastonbury, but at the same time I don't think they'd be too high on the list on the fridge door.

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be many stand out options for next year; doubly so now that Macca is looking less likely.

- Stormzy: If the Instagram thing wasn't a hint then who knows with him. He hasn't even got an album confirmed for before next Summer and even then, Glasto taking a punt on him seems unlike how they've acted in recent years. He'd also be a pretty weak headliner. Personally, I am taking the Instagram thing as a hint, but if I wasn't then I wouldn't be predicting him to headline.

- Arctic Monkeys: Could easily play elsewhere, namely R&L. Both the band and Glastonbury may feel it's too soon since their 2013 set (it was only one album tour ago). They also did most of the major European festivals around Glasto last year so could even be in America or something instead in the early Summer next year.

- Madonna: Isn't someone they've managed to get in the past (you'd assume they've tried). By the sounds of it if she doesn't change her setlist accordingly she'd go down even worse than The Cure.

- Fleetwood Mac: Have turned Glasto down in the past because of the low fee. Maybe they've changed their stance on that; maybe not.

- Paul McCartney: New US date makes him seem unlikely.

- Kendrick Lamar: DAMN. tour probably over and word is that a new album isn't close to release. R&L headline sets were about an hour long; not really Pyramid headline stuff. Reckon he's more likely when he does have a new album.

We've also heard from Neil that there are acts wanting to play the anniversary in 2020 rather than next year. As much as I personally didn't think that would be happening much, if it is happening it's probably more so with the bigger acts in that above list. If they have managed to convince Madonna or Fleetwood Mac to play then maybe they'd say "Okay but we want to headline the 50th anniversary next year instead". Would obviously limit their options slightly.

After that lot who's left? There's the big pop acts like Rihanna/Gaga but if I'm honest I'm not sure I see Glasto wanting two contemporary pop acts headlining in the same year (so I probably couldn't see them booking one of these alongside Stormzy, for instance).

After that there's not a lot, and anyone you can think of is probably no better a fit than The Cure would be. Maybe they saw the BST sales last year and thought "They've still got enough interest in them and we haven't had them here for 30 years. Might as well get them here one last time seeing as our headliner pool is constantly shrinking." Maybe they'd even rather have The Cure than something like Stormzy/AM/Lady Gaga because of that trio looking a bit too recent.

Anyway, I'm just looking for reasons why it could happen tbh seeing as we have nothing else to go on and I really fucking want The Cure to play.

4 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Are they in the same ball park at Smashing Pumpkins who agreed to play the Other? Also band's ego aside could this be another move towards the 'two main stages' and 6 headliners vibe that they've been trying to get at since the new bigger Other stage(s)?

Had The Smashing Pumpkins played non-headline slots at other festivals before then? That's the main thing for me with The Cure; I've never seen them play below headliner at a festival so I have no reason to think they'd do so at Glasto, where they'd also be getting a reduced fee and would even be missing out on the publicity boost you get from headlining Glasto.

Anyway, I wasn't around in the days when either were at their peak but I can't imagine The Smashing Pumpkins were ever as big in the mainstream as The Cure were? They don't exactly have a Boys Don't Cry or a Friday I'm In Love.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Wonder what that's about. Might just be about Michael thinking they were shit. Either way, I'm not expecting them to go begging for a place on the lineup, but it sounds (as you'd expect) like they'd be perfectly happy to play if asked.

6 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

They have been getting bigger Other headliners since 2016 have they?

They’re definitely not in the same ballpark as the Pumpkins as Billy and co. weren’t headlining festivals so much back in 2013. I don’t think it’s fair to attribute it to the Cure’s ‘ego’ anyway when they can headline some of the biggest festivals in the world despite not being a mainstream concern. It’d be ego on the festival’s behalf to expect special consideration.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Wonder what that's about. Might just be about Michael thinking they were shit. Either way, I'm not expecting them to go begging for a place on the lineup, but it sounds (as you'd expect) like they'd be perfectly happy to play if asked.

Yeah I did wonder that too. But the point I was getting at was that he doesn’t sound too eager, just that they’d probably accept, and then at the end he says there are other festivals so he obviously doesn’t prioritise some gubbins slot at G over the alternatives.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I did wonder that too. But the point I was getting at was that he doesn’t sound too eager, just that they’d probably accept, and then at the end he says there are other festivals so he obviously doesn’t prioritise some gubbins slot at G over the alternatives.

Yeah for sure. Sounds like they're in the position you'd expect them to be - would headline if asked because it's probably the best gig they could get, and wouldn't play any other slot because they could get better elsewhere.

Good thing is they've obviously done it three times before, so we know they're willing, unlike the likes of Depeche Mode. Then again I don't know if it was the same back then in terms of lower fees n stuff.

41 minutes ago, battleborn said:

The problem is Robert Smith still sees himself as a festival headliner at any festival. And won't take anything else.

that's fair enough, he's allowed to have that view. But at the same time he's hopefully able to recognise that might rule him out in a few places.

Glastonbury sells it's tickets because it's Glastonbury, and not (if they were) because The Cure are playing. As a consequence it's not going to be rammed full of hardcore Cure fans, and The Cure are unlikely to get the crowd size they might at a show where they've personally driven the ticket sales.

9 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

Fri - Stormzy/1975 - up and coming uk artist

Sat - Kendrick - because I want it to be him and will generate pre-festival press headlines. like with Kanye

Sun - Madonna/Lady Gaga - TV audience/Sunday crowd pleaser

Can't see them not really having a band play and as much as i enjoyed Stormzy he hasn't released a new album since he last played (which was still the last festival). I'd still go with Arctic Monkey's for the Friday or Sunday night headliner at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Stormzy he hasn't released a new album since he last played (which was still the last festival).

he will have done before next summer.

There's such big mainstream interest in him now I can't see that going anywhere but mega*.
(caveat: unless he's turned to shit :P)

Act get booked all the time on the basis of a forthcoming album, and often the bookers get a very early listen too - so they're not doing it blind.

Just now, lighthouse said:

I'm not the biggest Cure fan but I'm baffled by the fact that some people even consider The Cure as a non-Pyramid headliner. 

That band is still one of the biggest bands around. To me they're in the same league as -for instance- Zeppelin, The Beach Boys, The Who, Pink Floyd, Prince, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Nirvana and Radiohead. They've released a big amount of critically acclaimed albums, had lots of hits and were and are hugely influential to artists up to this day. The list of bands inspired by The Cure is endless (from The XX to Beach House to Death Cab For Cutie to The Verve to even U2, Tool and Radiohead).

The Cure are bigger than, for instance, Arctic Monkeys. 

Not at the moment they aren't, but I get your point. They are a Pyramid headliner all day

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

I'm not the biggest Cure fan but I'm baffled by the fact that some people even consider The Cure as a non-Pyramid headliner. 

if you like, they're a bit similar to Metallica.

From loads of angles you can't say they're definitely not main stage headliners, and yet Glastonbury isn't necessarily their crowd, they're a bit niche, etc.

If they were booked as main stage headliner you wouldn't hear me saying it was a dreadful mistake and it shouldn't be happening.

But i do think they're better suited as an Other headliner (where I'd expect them to get one of the bigger crowds for that stage).

8 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

The Cure are bigger than, for instance, Arctic Monkeys. 

My question about them being in the same ball park as Smashing Pumpkins what not rhetorical (this is for the other replies above as well as to lighthouse). Personally I'm baffled by this but it might possibly be an age thing? I might be too young to appreciate how big they were and too old be swept up in a revival that has apparently happened recently. I could fully appreciate that The Cure may have been bigger than Arctic Monkeys but struggle now.

'Bigger' is so subjective. I've not looked up the stats but one could quite plausibly use amount of albums/tickets sold in last 10 years as metrics for who is bigger and I'd be stunned if AM don't come out on top. If we were talking about who would get a 'bigger' crowd in the Pyramid field my money would be on Arctics even though they've played more recently.

FWIW I think The Cure would be a decent enough booking but I'm sure there'd be something more to my tastes elsewhere at the same time.

EDIT: others beat me to it sorry

Edited by Tommy101

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

he will have done before next summer.

There's such big mainstream interest in him now I can't see that going anywhere but mega*.
(caveat: unless he's turned to shit :P)

Act get booked all the time on the basis of a forthcoming album, and often the bookers get a very early listen too - so they're not doing it blind.

Fair enough, i was under the impression he was still working on a new album but it was nowhere near ready to be released, i'm sure it took him a couple of years to work on his last (i could be wrong). If that's the case then i'd be inclined to say its either him or Kendrick rather than both. If it is Stormzy though there can't have been that many to have subbed the Other and then headlined the Pyramid literally at the next festival. I'm sure there are some people who could look that up. 

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

Fair enough, i was under the impression he was still working on a new album but it was nowhere near ready to be released, i'm sure it took him a couple of years to work on his last (i could be wrong). If that's the case then i'd be inclined to say its either him or Kendrick rather than both. If it is Stormzy though there can't have been that many to have subbed the Other and then headlined the Pyramid literally at the next festival. I'm sure there are some people who could look that up. 

Mumford and Sons did it.

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Fair enough, i was under the impression he was still working on a new album but it was nowhere near ready to be released, i'm sure it took him a couple of years to work on his last (i could be wrong).

any early listen could be a track or two, not necessarily the whole album.

I got told by several bookers a few years back that they'd booked Plan B on the basis of an early listen to '.. Strickland Banks' - so i do know with absolute certainty it happens.

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

If it is Stormzy though there can't have been that many to have subbed the Other and then headlined the Pyramid literally at the next festival. I'm sure there are some people who could look that up. 

Off the top of my head I can't think of any who have, but that's exactly the sort of thing an act on the rise should really be doing.

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Mumford and Sons did it.

Come to think about it, the last four post-fallow years have contained a headliner who played the previous festival. And the last two have featured the Arctic Monkeys and a 60’s rock band so that’s what it’ll be sorry Rob Smith and Maradona and whatever.