2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

18 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I’m sure there was also talk of Muse doing an acoustic set or something with Radiohead headlining instead. 

Hahahhah yeh that was great. The headliner thread that year was a total mess. I remember it turning into a Simpsons related thread for quite a while. 

18 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I remember rushing home from my exam on the morning of the full lineup release in 2016, blindly swiping away all my Twitter notifications from Glastonbury so I could go through the lineup one by one, and then sitting down on the toilet and going through it, hoping to see LCD Soundsystem clashing with Coldplay instead of Muse (that part went well) and Radiohead below Adele. When I saw Tame Impala in that slot they were my least favourite people in the world for a good few hours.

I did something similar, was sat at the airport waiting to board my flight to Spain for Primavera madly refreshing twitter waiting for the line up. 

You just reminded me how good that LCD Soundsystem set was, maybe the best I've seen on the farm. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I'll just point out that the supposed words from the daughter of someone in The Cure say "playing" and not "headlining". I'd say that's relevant (if the words are really true).

Not headlining, based on those words.

That would surely be an Other stage headline slot based on not headlining in terms it's meant for the Pyramid wheb it's said. I would imagine they would get a longer set up against someone fairly poppy.

8 hours ago, Big durbs said:

Be nice to see Fleetwood Mac , mc’cartney would be cool . Oasis reunion would be incredible.

i also think Paloma Faith owes Michael a gig after the very last minute withdraw from Glastonbury abbey in the summer .

i was kinda hoping to see Liam and Noel reunite at the Pilton Party in the john peal field a couple of weeks ago , but no sadly. On the upside the support band “ some villains “ were awesome. A unsigned band the Michael found in a battle of the bands type competition. Well worth a look fir next year at Glastonbury! I would be very surprised if they aren’t on the lineup somewhere.

Paloma Faith could make it up to Michael by agreeing to stay away.

Edited by Hugh Jass

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Would a triple headliner band that just sold out Hyde Park settle for that?

Dunno. It depends how ego-precious they are against how much they want to play G.

Fact is that bands rise and fall, and just because a band headlined in the past doesn't mean they headline by default today. I saw another of the 1986 headliners in a 400 capacity venue a year or two back. 

I'd say The Cure are perfect today as an Other headliner but not a Pyramid headliner. 
(who knows, there might be sudden huge interest in The Cure from kids in a few years, and they'd be suitable as Pyramid headliner again).

Edited by eFestivals

The triple headliner thing is a bit misleading, admittedly. I wouldn't expect Van Morrison or Elvis Costello to headline these days. But the Hyde Park sell-out can't have hurt their sense of self-worth when it comes to what shows to play. They can probably pick and choose a bit.

Edit. But fair fucks. If they wind up headlining the Other the guy who booked it can take the rest of the week off.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

I reckon the Cure are entering the public consciousness a bit again. They seem to have a lot of younger fans, and a bigger presence than say, 10 years ago. It'll wane again obviously, but this year or next are probably the only viable times they could potentially headline, and I'm sure Big Bob Smith knows that. FWIW, I saw them 6 or 7 years ago, and thought they were terrible. Can't see them keeping a non-partisan crowd entertained for 2-3 hours, mind.

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Would a triple headliner band that just sold out Hyde Park settle for that?

I agree with @thewayiamon this one. If it's true I can see them being Other Stage headliners up against someone more contemporary on the Pyramid. I get what you're saying about Hyde Park but I wonder how many die-hard Cure fans were at that show? People travelling from all corners of the UK, even Europe to be there. They don't tour that often, do they? It's always difficult to compare a band's own large show with a headline festival slot, especially one as niche as the Cure.

Something about the Cure headlining the Pyramid in 2019 doesn't seem to fit with the direction that the festival has gone over the last decade but I could be wrong. I think it's fair to say that their booking would be welcomed by the majority of the regular posters on eFests but the majority of Glasto-goers I can't see them being so well-received.

10 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's always difficult to compare a band's own large show with a headline festival slot, especially one as niche as the Cure.

This is the key to a successful booking policy, I reckon, and definitely the way the Pyramid headliners are going. Saying 'they sold out Hyde Park' etc is not always a good indicator

We do this every single year, discussing the possibility of headline-sized acts playing the Other Stage or whatever up against a pop headliner, and it never happens (okay Biffy subbed last year but that's a bit different to The Cure).

When was the last time The Cure played a festival and didn't headline? Probably the early 80s? They're not gonna play Glasto next year and not headline.

Edit: And I'm someone who was saying the other day how I didn't think Glasto would book them to headline as I didn't think they'd go down too well as a headliner, so I'm not just blindly defending them as a Pyramid headliner.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

26 minutes ago, Mardy said:

This is the key to a successful booking policy, I reckon, and definitely the way the Pyramid headliners are going. Saying 'they sold out Hyde Park' etc is not always a good indicator

Well it's a similar case to Pearl Jam in that they're definitely preaching to the converted. It's what would make them a pretty weak headliner. But it also means they're not going round cap in hand grovelling for whatever booking they can get. They don't need the festival.

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Well it's a similar case to Pearl Jam in that they're definitely preaching to the converted. It's what would make them a pretty weak headliner. But it also means they're not going round cap in hand grovelling for whatever booking they can get. They don't need the festival.

Can't argue with any of that