2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

29 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

We have no idea when the first announcement will be. We're hoping for an early one like Radiohead two years ago which was in October.

We don't really have any frontrunners. Stormzy posted Noel Gallagher's quote about not having hip-hop at Glasto on his Instagram story a few weeks ago and some are taking that as a hint from him.

We've also today had someone say his son was talking to the daughter of one of The Cure's guitarists at Reading this year and she said The Cure are playing Glasto next year.

We did think Macca was likely as both him and Emily sort of avoided the question when asked about him headlining on the radio. However, he's just announced a US show the week of Glasto so a lot are ruling him out because of that. If his and Emily's responses were an indication that he's booked to play Glasto, maybe it's for 2020.

Aside from those tidbits, we're all just guessing. Main predictions on top of those ones right now are probably Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Madonna, Fleetwood Mac and Kendrick Lamar.

Elton John is playing in Switzerland on the Sat and Sun of Glasto next year and isn't doing 3 nights in a row all tour. More likely for 2020.

I think that's everything covered, pretty much.

Brilliant ? Efests is back, and the Glasto countdown is on!

This is up there with the Thom Yorke in the coffee shop from a couple years ago.

38 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

We've also today had someone say his son was talking to the daughter of one of The Cure's guitarists at Reading this year and she said The Cure are playing Glasto next year.

These sort of wild stories circulating indicate that I should come out of hibernation for 2019.

Roll on T-Day

Edited by Andy0808 v5

no Macca would be a shame but would make him even more likely for 2020 I guess. I know that guy said 1975 wont be doing it but I've just got a feeling....we all know Glastonbury like giving slightly smaller British acts the headline slot and propelling them to superstardom. Interesting that they're touring in January, would be odd for them to not follow that up with a couple of huge summer dates. Maybe R+L have snapped them up.

Also what we thinking about Lady Gaga now? I know she has dropped off a lot and last album didnt sell well over here but she was making lots of noise last year about playing. Didn't Emily namedrop her at some point too? Could maybe see her in the same spot Katy Perry had last year. Although maybe Ariana Grande is more likely for that.

3 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

no Macca would be a shame but would make him even more likely for 2020 I guess. I know that guy said 1975 wont be doing it but I've just got a feeling....we all know Glastonbury like giving slightly smaller British acts the headline slot and propelling them to superstardom. Interesting that they're touring in January, would be odd for them to not follow that up with a couple of huge summer dates. Maybe R+L have snapped them up.

Also what we thinking about Lady Gaga now? I know she has dropped off a lot and last album didnt sell well over here but she was making lots of noise last year about playing. Didn't Emily namedrop her at some point too? Could maybe see her in the same spot Katy Perry had last year. Although maybe Ariana Grande is more likely for that.

When was the last time they actually did this, though? 2013 with Mumford and Sons? And that was the first time they'd done it since 2008. That's one instance in the last 10 years.

They could have booked Florence and the Machine to headline in 2015, Foals to headline in 2016 (they headlined R&L that year) and The xx to headline in 2017 but they chose not to. In Flo's case they didn't even get her to fill in the vacant Sunday night slot and instead got The Who to cancel their own show to do it (although maybe they asked her and she said no for some reason). In Foals' case they even re-booked a past-their-peak Muse who'd already headlined twice and were touring an album that was over a year old for them to play below.

I feel like people say this based on them doing it with the likes of Muse, Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon in the past, forgetting they were all over a decade ago.

Now I'm not saying The 1975 wouldn't headline, because I still think it's possible, but I don't think you can really use the "Glasto like giving smaller acts the leg up" argument these days.

And yeah, I think they'll headline R&L. Perfect festival for them. Perfect band for R&L. Matty Healy said a while ago that they'll headline R&L as their first major festival, too, I think.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

we all know Glastonbury like giving slightly smaller British acts the headline slot and propelling them to superstardom. 

When’s the last time that genuinely happened? Mumfords in 2013 and even the Arctics in 2007 were both huge sellers at the time. Obviously Florence too, but she wasn’t booked as a headliner. 

Edit: Gucci Piggy beat me to make the same points, albeit in a more comprehensive/rambling format

Edited by henry bear

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

When was the last time they actually did this, though? 2013 with Mumford and Sons? And that was the first time they'd done it since 2008. That's one instance in the last 10 years.

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

When’s the last time that genuinely happened? Mumfords in 2013 and even the Arctics in 2007 were both huge sellers at the time. Obviously Florence too, but she wasn’t booked as a headliner. 

are you two in the same room or something?

Fair comments though, I'm in agreement.

38 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

Personally I think she could headline, with ASIB getting great reviews (+ potential oscar nom), her Las Vegas tour and 2 new albums due in the next year (a follow up to Cheek 2 Cheek with Tony Bennet and a pop album with producers like Mark Ronson, Boys Noize, DJ Whiteshadow and SOPHIE confirmed so far).

Her last album didnt do well but I dont think that matters as much, most albums have ups and downs (and if any album was gonna fail it would be the country crossover album with a weird lead single and minimal promo). I think there is a lot of good will towards her, and her performances at Coachella and the Superbowl last year show she's still got it.

This would be what, album 6? Plenty of hits to draw from too. Depending on how the new material is I doubt she would be the strongest pick, but shes probably a good option if they can't get someone huge like Madge imo.

EDIT: And RE. Ariana Grande, I dont think shes ever done a festival before (unless you count One Love) so I doubt we'll see her there. I expect we'll be more likely to get George Ezra for that slot

Edited by Mattymooz

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

EDIT: And RE. Ariana Grande, I dont think shes ever done a festival before (unless you count One Love) so I doubt we'll see her there. I expect we'll be more likely to get George Ezra for that slot

ahh right, I assumed she would have done Big Weekend or the Capital Ball thing. George Ezra on the Pyramid is, sadly, a very good shout.

6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Fully on board The Cure headlining bandwagon, particularly with a tenuous source. Last time I same them was about 30 years ago at the NEC. 5 of us slept in the car park in an MG Metro. Salad days.

I’m the same as Neil - my one and only time was on the Pyramid in the thunder storms (natch) in 1986. I’ve not been inclined to see them since. 

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

We have no idea when the first announcement will be. We're hoping for an early one like Radiohead two years ago which was in October.

We don't really have any frontrunners. Stormzy posted Noel Gallagher's quote about not having hip-hop at Glasto on his Instagram story a few weeks ago and some are taking that as a hint from him.

We did think Macca was likely as both him and Emily sort of avoided the question when asked about him headlining on the radio. However, he's just announced a US show the week of Glasto so a lot are ruling him out because of that. If his and Emily's responses were an indication that he's booked to play Glasto, maybe it's for 2020.

Aside from those tidbits, we're all just guessing. Main predictions on top of those ones right now are probably Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Madonna, Fleetwood Mac and Kendrick Lamar.

Elton John is playing in Switzerland on the Sat and Sun of Glasto next year and isn't doing 3 nights in a row all tour. More likely for 2020.

I think that's everything covered, pretty much.

That's a pretty good round up. Puts my flippant reply to shame.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Okay in my initial excitement to verify the rumour I followed the bassist's daughter on Instagram and she's just accepted and followed me back. There's nothing about Reading on there but I'll probably end up asking her about it when I'm drunk or something so I'll let you all know when that awful moment happens.

Get the vodka out and put us all out of our misery.

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Just had a look and I can't see any record of The Cure's guitarist (Reeves Gabrels) having any daughters. However, their bassist (Simon Gallup) has 4, one of whom was born in 2000 according to Wiki and is 19 according so Google (so she's either 17, 18 or 19 - prime Reading age).

She didn't tweet anything about her going to Reading but in April she did tweet some Youtuber asking if he was going to be at Reading.

Story may have legs.

That is an impressive feat of cyber stalking.

Goes to show how easy it is to get info on anyone these days.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That is an impressive feat of cyber stalking.

Goes to show how easy it is to get info on anyone these days.

Quite bad isn't it. Judging by her Instagram she goes to lots of The Cure gigs (BST this year, Bestival 16, last arena tour, some gig in Germany) so it'd make sense for her to know they're headlining Glasto as she'll probs be going to it if so.

Anyway I feel weird about this whole thing but now it's done I thought I may as well share it with you all.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

I hope we don't get the third headliner till May again, there were a couple of years where had to wait it out and people were going nuts. That twist that it was The Who despite them already having a gig booked was beautiful.

Been a bit easy the last couple of years.

Yeh that was fucking mental. I remember everyone losing their shit in 2016 for a while too, especially trying to figure out if Radiohead were playing. I remember a lot of chat about the possibility of them subbing Adele. 

Last year was dull in comparison. 

3 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

Yeh that was fucking mental. I remember everyone losing their shit in 2016 for a while too, especially trying to figure out if Radiohead were playing. I remember a lot of chat about the possibility of them subbing Adele. 

I’m sure there was also talk of Muse doing an acoustic set or something with Radiohead headlining instead. Looking back, things went pretty mental that year. We’re bad enough at the best of times but when you throw a possible Radiohead set into the mix it really takes things to a new level.

In 2014 we had the Metallica thing so something like that or The Who would be fun.

5 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

I remember rushing home from my exam on the morning of the full lineup release in 2016, blindly swiping away all my Twitter notifications from Glastonbury so I could go through the lineup one by one, and then sitting down on the toilet and going through it, hoping to see LCD Soundsystem clashing with Coldplay instead of Muse (that part went well) and Radiohead below Adele. When I saw Tame Impala in that slot they were my least favourite people in the world for a good few hours.

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

I’m sure there was also talk of Muse doing an acoustic set or something with Radiohead headlining instead. Looking back, things went pretty mental that year. We’re bad enough at the best of times but when you throw a possible Radiohead set into the mix it really takes things to a new level.

In 2014 we had the Metallica thing so something like that or The Who would be fun.

Muse subbing playing Black Holes and Revelations in full with an orchestra.