2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Lawn dealt with this one best:

On 1/22/2018 at 9:38 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Arcade Fire, Florence, and Kasabian were all fine. Owen Pallett & The Lads and Ran His Dad Over & The Lads have both headlined a good crop of the other big UK fests before and since they headlined G, and Florence is just big and popular. If your headliner pool doesn't include them, then your headliner pool is too small/unrealistic. And if they're too small then your favourite off-pitch yodeling virgins Radiohead are as well.

And what is more; if you're only having incredibigs at the top of the lineup-, then tickets getting hoovered up by normie-ass, out of town shopping centre patronising, mason jars to drink out of buying, Radio 2 listening, ITV2 watching, some e-cards meme sharing, instagramming themselves on an inflatable couch in front of the Pyramid all day BELLENDS is completely YOUR FAULT YOU DISGUSTING FESTIVAL WRECKING TURD.

I'm fine with some of these shitty people turning up, maybe it will cure them, but it's just wrong that theres like three hundred and four of them to every one crusty. Which band do crusties like? Overbook them.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hmmm......it feels like they'd need the other two headliners to be quite strong.

Stormzy, The Cure and The 1975 whilst - theoretically - having something for everyone doesn't feel especially vintage.  Line them up with Arctic Monkeys or Madge or Mac and it looks a bit better.

But that statement rings true of any headliner surely? - Madonna is the highest selling living artist & Arctic Monkeys are probably the biggest UK band at the moment - there aren't many headliners that can compete with them. 

Just had a look and I can't see any record of The Cure's guitarist (Reeves Gabrels) having any daughters. However, their bassist (Simon Gallup) has 4, one of whom was born in 2000 according to Wiki and is 19 according so Google (so she's either 17, 18 or 19 - prime Reading age).

She didn't tweet anything about her going to Reading but in April she did tweet some Youtuber asking if he was going to be at Reading.

Story may have legs.

If I was in a well known band I'd hope my daughter could tell the difference between a bass and a guitar. I'm skeptical.

I for one would love the cure to play I don't think they'd suit the saturday headliner but deffo friday / sunday. However I don't see it happening given the amount of times they've played glasto previously. Perhaps they'd do the secret set?

1 minute ago, Radi0Head said:

If I was in a well known band I'd hope my daughter could tell the difference between a bass and a guitar. I'm skeptical.

I for one would love the cure to play I don't think they'd suit the saturday headliner but deffo friday / sunday. However I don't see it happening given the amount of times they've played glasto previously. Perhaps they'd do the secret set?

I think it's more likely that the guy on here's son just got em mixed up if it's true tbf. It was at a festival; I know I don't remember most conversations I have at festivals perfectly.

Anyway, weird timing all this. About a week or so ago I was bored of just listening to new music so decided to revisit The Cure's back catalogue as I haven't listened to them properly in forever. Been absolutely rinsing Three Imaginary Boys and Seventeen Seconds this last week. In fact I was even gonna drunk post on here the other night about how good they are.

Anyway, just after I start doing this the conversation pops up on here about them headlining, and then straight after that someone comes in with info that they are playing. Wouldn't be surprised if they're announced tomorrow just to finish it off. Baader-Meinhof at it's finest.

Sunday night. Iggy Pop into The Cure. Get it done guys.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Just had a look and I can't see any record of The Cure's guitarist (Reeves Gabrels) having any daughters. However, their bassist (Simon Gallup) has 4, one of whom was born in 2000 according to Wiki and is 19 according so Google (so she's either 17, 18 or 19 - prime Reading age).

She didn't tweet anything about her going to Reading but in April she did tweet some Youtuber asking if he was going to be at Reading.

Story may have legs.

Just a standard evening trawling through a teenage girl's internet presence for Gucci Piggy.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Anyway, weird timing all this. About a week or so ago I was bored of just listening to new music so decided to revisit The Cure's back catalogue as I haven't listened to them properly in forever. Been absolutely rinsing Three Imaginary Boys and Seventeen Seconds this last week. In fact I was even gonna drunk post on here the other night about how good they are.

Anyway, just after I start doing this the conversation pops up on here about them headlining, and then straight after that someone comes in with info that they are playing. Wouldn't be surprised if they're announced tomorrow just to finish it off. Baader-Meinhof at it's finest.

Sunday night. Iggy Pop into The Cure. Get it done guys.

If we're discussing whether the Cure are too niche these days, I'm not sure the Red Army Faction will be sucking in the crowds. 

Can somebody be the one that explains? Not read this thread and whats happening, do we know when the first announcement is or is around and who is the favourites, do we have any leaks? 

I have heard Madonna, Elton John and headliners that haven't headlined before have been touted, anything new?

8 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Can somebody be the one that explains? Not read this thread and whats happening, do we know when the first announcement is or is around and who is the favourites, do we have any leaks? 

I have heard Madonna, Elton John and headliners that haven't headlined before have been touted, anything new?

We know nothing.

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

We have no idea when the first announcement will be. We're hoping for an early one like Radiohead two years ago which was in October.

We don't really have any frontrunners. Stormzy posted Noel Gallagher's quote about not having hip-hop at Glasto on his Instagram story a few weeks ago and some are taking that as a hint from him.

We've also today had someone say his son was talking to the daughter of one of The Cure's guitarists at Reading this year and she said The Cure are playing Glasto next year.

We did think Macca was likely as both him and Emily sort of avoided the question when asked about him headlining on the radio. However, he's just announced a US show the week of Glasto so a lot are ruling him out because of that. If his and Emily's responses were an indication that he's booked to play Glasto, maybe it's for 2020.

Aside from those tidbits, we're all just guessing. Main predictions on top of those ones right now are probably Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Madonna, Fleetwood Mac and Kendrick Lamar.

Elton John is playing in Switzerland on the Sat and Sun of Glasto next year and isn't doing 3 nights in a row all tour. More likely for 2020.

I think that's everything covered, pretty much.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

We have no idea when the first announcement will be. We're hoping for an early one like Radiohead two years ago which was in October.

We don't really have any frontrunners. Stormzy posted Noel Gallagher's quote about not having hip-hop at Glasto on his Instagram story a few weeks ago and some are taking that as a hint from him.

We've also today had someone say his son was talking to the daughter of one of The Cure's guitarists at Reading this year and she said The Cure are playing Glasto next year.

We did think Macca was likely as both him and Emily sort of avoided the question when asked about him headlining on the radio. However, he's just announced a US show the week of Glasto so a lot are ruling him out because of that. If his and Emily's responses were an indication that he's booked to play Glasto, maybe it's for 2020.

Aside from those tidbits, we're all just guessing. Main predictions on top of those ones right now are probably Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Madonna, Fleetwood Mac and Kendrick Lamar.

Elton John is playing in Switzerland on the Sat and Sun of Glasto next year and isn't doing 3 nights in a row all tour. More likely for 2020.

I think that's everything covered, pretty much.

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hmmm......it feels like they'd need the other two headliners to be quite strong.

Stormzy, The Cure and The 1975 whilst - theoretically - having something for everyone doesn't feel especially vintage.  Line them up with Arctic Monkeys or Madge or Mac and it looks a bit better.

Agreed. Those 3 would be the worst Glasto Pyramid headliners in the festival history. I dont mind a bit of The Cure at all, but for headliner? With those two? Utterly tragic.

Having said that, there's plenty of other music and stages and fun to be had elsewhere!

It wouldn't be those three, though, would it? In fact, the only info we have on The 1975 is some big fan on Twitter meeting their frontman and being told they're not playing Glastonbury.

If it were Stormzy and The Cure, I have no doubt the third headliner would be a big one. Most likely one being Arctic Monkeys, who I think provide better balance than some of the other biggies (Madonna, Fleetwood Mac) would.