2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

15 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

If Depeche Mode have been asked numerous times to headline the Pyramid I have trouble understanding why the thought is that The Cure aren't a suitable headliner?

If Depeche Mode had already headlined three times between the 80's and 90's then they'd probably be very low down the list too. It's more about crossing them off the list, and The Cure have already done it to the point of the festival and band growing tired of one another. 

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

jj200 is Belgian?

I think he just speaks bands.

Edited by dentalplan

Didn't Dave Grohl claim he wanted to do a 3 hour headline set, but when it came to the day, it was just a normal length set?

I can't see the Cure being given the headline slot, tho stranger things have happened, but I definitely don't see them doing a 3 hour headline set.

9 minutes ago, uscore said:

If you can talk them down to a 50 minute hits set, then I'm in.

This from Lollapalooza 2013 is a two-hour set and I think it covers a lot of hits with a bonus godly Disintegration opening run. I would rather three hours but I could definitely go for it.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2013/grant-park-chicago-il-2bc6e026.html

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

This from Lollapalooza 2013 is a two-hour set and I think it covers a lot of hits with a bonus godly Disintegration opening run. I would rather three hours but I could definitely go for it.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2013/grant-park-chicago-il-2bc6e026.html

yeah that's not bad to be fair.  I could still shave a bit from it, but I am not a superfan.  I've seen them twice at festivals, and once thought they were brilliant, and once thought they were really boring.

I'd be surprised if they headline Glastonbury. But then I am hopeless at predicting the headliners and am frequently surprised at the lineup.

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Pretty much this. How on earth are The Cure not a great glasto headliner? I mean, they're British heritage that actually has a lot of succes everywhere in the world. And they'e got hits. Lots of them. Probably more than most of the acts that would normally headline Glasto.

I mean, who doesn't know stuff like Inbetween Days, Boys Don't Cry, Just Like Heaven, A Forest, Lullaby, Close To Me, Lovesong or Friday I'm In Love? 

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

The exact same could be said of Depeche Mode too. I'd love to see both of them there next year!

Depeche Mode didn't do any of those songs :p

Edited by stuartbert two hats
multi-quote
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Swizzle's production probably wouldnt fit on the Pyramid so she'd have to conjure up a whole new show. Not necessarily a deal breaker but not exactly a sure thing either.

Same could be said of most of the big American stars, there’s no precedent for Madge doing a scaled-down show on festival stages either. At least with Messers Timberlake, Mars, Knowles-Carter, Fenty and Gaga there’s ample evidence they’d be willing to change it up to fit on the Pyramid.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

5 hours ago, Jakkkkobz said:

Fleetwood Mac, Kendrick Lemar and 1975?

I did hear Guns N Roses are touring Europe again this summer, they are more commercially minded nowadays so would expect they would probs sacrifice fee for exposure  

Kylie for Sunday Legend

I doubt it, Slash is touring himself next year.

I see Kylie there but what a lot is another thing. Kylie and Cher would be great, I think I'd miss Dianna Ross

18 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I doubt it, Slash is touring himself next year.

I see Kylie there but what a lot is another thing. Kylie and Cher would be great, I think I'd miss Dianna Ross

Tbf, Slash and Myles Kennedy in a mid afternoon slot again would be more appealing than GnR headlining!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jparx said:

Is there anything that would rule out The Cure? To say they are 3rd on that list (for whatever it's worth) there doesn't seem to be much discussion. I'd love it, but I can't really see it. I wouldn't say they are big enough in 2018 but some of you guys are better judges than me!

Edit: apologies if this was addressed 50 pages ago ?

They sold out BST quite quickly - I'd say they're a bigger proposition than some of the names being suggested here. Not sure how relevant they'd be to a predominantly younger crowd than that (presumably) at Hyde Park though

21 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's what I'm going for, come to mention in I reckon he could be offered the 3rd down slot that ZZ Top and Royal Blood did. I put Iggy Pop but he's had a chance to before.

Mans already been on the Pyramid doing Paradise City and wearing his hat. Why would he not only come back but move up the lineup now peeps can see him play with Axl rather than Alter Bridge bloke?

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why would he not only come back but move up the lineup now peeps can see him play with Axl rather than Alter Bridge bloke?

Because that bloke from Alter Bridge is Myles better than that bloke from Guns and Roses?