2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

That setlist is a bit more friendly, though, with the hits better spread through the show. I was at the equivalent Leeds show and it's still one of my favourite gigs ever, but I dunno how well it went down with the whole crowd (I know the crowd was pretty tiny, though). My friends who weren't already Cure fans didn't enjoy it, although we were all 16 at the time so probably not who it was really aimed at.

Weird booking, thinking about it.

Yeah I do remember the crowd was fairly small, but I don't think there was a mass-exodus or anything. It was a really odd booking even at the time but I'm glad they took the risk.

3 minutes ago, evilduck said:

Yeah I do remember the crowd was fairly small, but I don't think there was a mass-exodus or anything. It was a really odd booking even at the time but I'm glad they took the risk.

Yeah there wasn't an exodus or owt I don't think. I remember walking over just before they came on as we'd just watched my brother's mate's band on the BBC Intro Stage when Paramore were on; easily got into the middle of the front section with loads of space around us like 5-10 mins before they started.

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Which bookies do these come from? Looks a bit like William Hill but I can't see anything on their site. Anyone offering odds for this ought to be advertising on this thread!

Sky Bet https://m.skybet.com/music-specials/glastonbury-specials/event/22722427

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jakkkkobz said:

Fleetwood Mac, Kendrick Lemar and 1975?

I did hear Guns N Roses are touring Europe again this summer, they are more commercially minded nowadays so would expect they would probs sacrifice fee for exposure  

Kylie for Sunday Legend

I'd personally love either AC/DC or GNR. Some shredding guitar solos would go down a treat for me! I won't get my hopes up though.

14 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Pretty much this. How on earth are The Cure not a great glasto headliner? I mean, they're British heritage that actually has a lot of succes everywhere in the world. And they'e got hits. Lots of them. Probably more than most of the acts that would normally headline Glasto.

I mean, who doesn't know stuff like Inbetween Days, Boys Don't Cry, Just Like Heaven, A Forest, Lullaby, Close To Me, Lovesong or Friday I'm In Love? 

The exact same could be said of Depeche Mode too. I'd love to see both of them there next year!

2 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

As a non-British festival goer, I just have to raise an eyebrow whenever The 1975 is mentioned as a headliner. 

I'm a Belgian and at Rock Werchter, our biggest festival, that band would get a late-afternoon slot in a tent at best.They surely aren't bigger than, let's say, Bastille (if we're talking about corny pop groups) over here.  I also couldn't hum a single tune of theirs if I wanted to. 

Are these guys that massive in the UK? 

But on that basis you’d have Editors headline! 

35 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The Cure's BST set was packed full of hits and was excellent. I think people are underestimating their popularity and back catalogue. They'd be blinding as a headliner.

The Cure's BST set was sold to Cure fans. Glasto wouldn't be like that.

They'd of course be plenty of fans of the Cure amongst the Glasto crowd, but even that doesn't mean they'd go and see them. For many the other choices at the same time are likely to be more-appealing.

I'd say they're better-suited to an Other headline slot nowadays.

Edited by eFestivals

Just now, Johnnyseven said:

The exact same could be said of Depeche Mode too. I'd love to see both of them there next year!

Depeche Mode are apparently asked regularly but aren't willing to take a reduced fee. Not on tour next year anyway.

The Cure, on the other hand, have already headlined four times or something so I doubt Glastonbury are as eager for them. I do agree with the feeling that they're too easily dismissed and I think they could easily headline the Pyramid again at some point, but I think they're more of a stock option really rather than someone they'll be really pulling to get.

4 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

As a non-British festival goer, I just have to raise an eyebrow whenever The 1975 is mentioned as a headliner. 

I'm a Belgian and at Rock Werchter, our biggest festival, that band would get a late-afternoon slot in a tent at best.They surely aren't bigger than, let's say, Bastille (if we're talking about corny pop groups) over here.  I also couldn't hum a single tune of theirs if I wanted to. 

Yeah. Fairly big in the US too. Bastille are bigger in Belgium but they're one of those bands that Belgium has adopted from us and honestly you can keep them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

I reckon they could easily sub, or headline t'other.

They are probably just off being a clear pyramid headliner, but sometimes Glastonbury likes to promote an act beyond what you might think obvious.

I think sometimes it's to have a current act to balance against having headliners like McCartney, or the Arctic Monkeys.  To some extent the 1975 are still on an upwards trajectory, and there aren't many other acts around you can say that about at headliner level. 

Just now, Johnnyseven said:

If Depeche Mode have been asked numerous times to headline the Pyramid I have trouble understanding why the thought is that The Cure aren't a suitable headliner?

Because last time they headlined a weekend camping festival, it only sold about half the tickets on sale causing problems they've still not recovered from?

Not that The Cure were the only factor in that, or even close to it. But they were one of them. And that's coming from someone that was there and absolutely loved their set.