2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

The Cure are an interesting one. Nobody is discussing them, but in recent memory, they’ve done Bestival, R&L, BST, IOW. They’ve done everything else, maybe only really leaving them with this left?

but at 2/1 you won’t catch me putting any money on them. Plenty of other ‘maybe’ acts as well 

I just don't see why they'd book The Cure these days, at all. Great band to those who've heard of them but they're neither relevant or 'classic' enough to appeal to 50% of the people on site, which is the minimum requirement. You'd just be begging for overcrowding elsewhere.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Strange one because although they're big enough to sell 80,000 BST tickets I'm not sure they're "Glastonbury big", I think Nick Cave suffers similarly. They've done it in the past but it doesn't feel like they'll ever do it again. I'm not sure the average Glastonbury punter has the stomach for a three hour assault from them.

Said before that I'd give them three hours on the Other one night and let them go nuts.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I also think The Cure would have people leaving in droves from the Pyramid, but would be too big for Other.

Depends who they're up against, stick them up against a huge pop artist (Beyoncé, T. Swizzle) on the Pyramid and you would get a good split.

Giving them three hours also means people can dip in and out.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Depends who they're up against, stick them up against a huge pop artist (Beyoncé, T. Swizzle) on the Pyramid and you would get a good split.

I don't think they'd overfill it by any means but I also don't think they'd accept anything but headlining the Pyramid. Don't think I've ever seen them take a non-headline slot anywhere.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah, they might get away with Other actually, but I can't see them doing it.  Asked years ago why they hardly ever play the UK, Robert Smith replied "it's a big world".  A common theme on here is the "artist's ego", something I think is massively overblown - we're generally talking about seasoned, professional career musicians.  If an artist can't get booked to headline a large festival anywhere in the world, then their "ego" isn't going to stop them accepting a slot subbing the Pyramid or headlining Other.  But if you can decide to saunter round Europe every few year filling arenas in every city, then why would you bother playing second fiddle at an English festival for peanuts?

It's the Depeche Mode bind - doing anything else but headlining isn't worth their while and offering either band a headline slot would be a mistake, at least if their are other, better options, which there usually are going by the last few years.

Anyway they'd die on their arse headlining the Pyramid. Last time I saw them this was the setlist. Even my brother who's seen them before and likes them was wondering where the hits were before the third encore. Looks like their recent BST and Bestival setlists were similar, too.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Anyway they'd die on their arse headlining the Pyramid. Last time I saw them this was the setlist. Even my brother who's seen them before and likes them was wondering where the hits were before the third encore. Looks like their recent BST and Bestival setlists were similar, too.

They seem to like playing those heavy, dreary songs with no space and very little songcraft in them, which is a shame.  I saw them in the MEN on that last tour and found it pretty maddening when I realised I couldn't skip tracks like at home.  Then Lullaby came on and I remembered that they can write some great songs and sometimes know how to use space.

Far too many dirges for me though, that shit belongs on Oxylers.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Isn't there Smith-Eavis beef that more or less rules them out anyway?

Regarding "beefs", I'd also see my comment on performer's "egos".  Eavis though they weren't good enough to headline.  That's not a beef, that's booking policy.  The likes of Morrissey might boycott the farm, but I don't think the festival holds grudges (E.g James and The Fall did come back in the end).

We're talking about professionals here.

13 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Three encores!  Fucking three!  That's reason enough to ban them from appearing.

9 minutes ago, evilduck said:

Their weird, overly-long set actually went down well at Reading from what I can remember, so maybe theres a chance it could work on the Pyramid. I'm a big fan though and I always love their 3 hour sets, though I can understand most people don't!

setlist-image-v1?id=7bdc7e54

That setlist is a bit more friendly, though, with the hits better spread through the show. I was at the equivalent Leeds show and it's still one of my favourite gigs ever, but I dunno how well it went down with the whole crowd (I know the crowd was pretty tiny, though). My friends who weren't already Cure fans didn't enjoy it, although we were all 16 at the time so probably not who it was really aimed at.

Weird booking, thinking about it.