2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Paul McCartney has a reprted net worth of over £800 million, do you think he's arsed how much they pay if he knows it will really please his daughters if he does it?

Equally, why would he care if it was Glastonbury's 49th or 50th year? Apart from maybe Coldplay, I don't see any act being arsed.

Stormzy Friday

As yet undecided female artist Saturday 

Macca Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Paul McCartney has a reprted net worth of over £800 million, do you think he's arsed how much they pay if he knows it will really please his daughters if he does it?

Equally, why would he care if it was Glastonbury's 49th or 50th year? Apart from maybe Coldplay, I don't see any act being arsed.

Stormzy Friday

Macca Sunday.

I’d go with this but switching it slightly:

Stormzy

Macca (with Liam supporting)

Madonna

30 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Stormzy Friday

Macca Sunday.

I actually think you might have nailed it with that prediction. Everyone is expecting the 50th anniversary to be some insane mega booking but will it be, really? I was there for the 40th anniversary and it was great but aside from Stevie they hardly went all out bookings wise. I suppose you could argue that Gorillaz were supposed to be U2 but even so... I think Glastonbury are more likely to commemorate the anniversary in other ways, not necessarily through headliner bookings.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually think you might have nailed it with that prediction. Everyone is expecting the 50th anniversary to be some insane mega booking but will it be, really? I was there for the 40th anniversary and it was great but aside from Stevie they hardly went all out bookings wise. I suppose you could argue that the Gorillas were supposed to be U2 but even so... I think Glastonbury are more likely to commemorate the anniversary in other ways, not necessarily through headliner bookings.

I reckon they try to ge the biggest/best acts they can every year and there's no special reason for imagining the 50th to be particularly noteworthy. They're not going to pass up a big act for 2019 cos they're thinking, ooh we should save them for 2020

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually think you might have nailed it with that prediction. Everyone is expecting the 50th anniversary to be some insane mega booking but will it be, really? I was there for the 40th anniversary and it was great but aside from Stevie they hardly went all out bookings wise. I suppose you could argue that Gorillaz were supposed to be U2 but even so... I think Glastonbury are more likely to commemorate the anniversary in other ways, not necessarily through headliner bookings.

I remember them making a big deal of the secret acts openin the pyramid that year. Ended up being Rolf Harris and Tinchy Stryder

36 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In fairness, U2, Muse and Stevie Wonder was massive. 

Edited by thewayiam
  • Upvote 1

What happened with Skepta? IIRC many predicted him as headliner earlier.

I still hope they book Kendrick, glasto seems like fans, at least emily. I've seen him twice this year and both times he nailed it. He even wore an Oasis t-shirt in one of the gigs so it would be cool if Liam subbed him :P 

DkqwiWxXcAAb7At.jpg

Edited by Ovechkin

Just now, Ovechkin said:

What happened with Skepta? IIRC many predicted him as headliner earlier.

I'm not sure how many people were predicting Skepta as a headliner? But essentially Stormzy came along and took over as the poster boy for the grime/UK hip-hop scene, mostly through branching out a bit from the traditional grime sound and producing more hits. 

7 minutes ago, Ovechkin said:

I still hope they book Kendrick, glasto seems like fans, at least emily. I've seen him twice this year and both times he nailed it. He even wore an Oasis t-shirt in one of the gigs so it would be cool if Liam subbed him :P 

I think Kendrick needs a new album under his belt to do Glastonbury as his current album/tour has been going for a while now, and apparently a new album isn't close to being finished so might have to wait a while for him to show up. Maybe 2020 but I wouldn't be surprised if he's an act who eludes Glastonbury for some time/forever unless it's something he really wants to do, which his no-shows at previous festivals would suggest he isn't too fussed about.

5 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Not sure if Muse, and certainly Radiohead, are that big really - nowhere near Adele/Sheeran/Foos/Coldplay anyway

Muse and Radiohead are massive acts to have as the smallest headliner though, even if they're not on the level of those others. Compared to the likes of Florence and Arcade Fire, they're big headliners. 

It doesn't really get any bigger than those other four acts. The size of that Ed Sheeran tour this summer was just absolute madness. Him and Foo Fighters in the same year is ridiculous, even if they are both absolute gash.

Obviously it goes without saying that Paul McCartney and Madonna are more iconic, but I dunno if more people want to see them than Coldplay or Ed Sheeran. I doubt they do tbh.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I think Kendrick needs a new album under his belt to do Glastonbury as his current album/tour has been going for a while now, and apparently a new album isn't close to being finished so might have to wait a while for him to show up. Maybe 2020 but I wouldn't be surprised if he's an act who eludes Glastonbury for some time/forever unless it's something he really wants to do, which his no-shows at previous festivals would suggest he isn't too fussed about.

That would be a shame, he's in his prime now, 2020 feels doubtful since its the 50th, 2021 who knows where he is.. maybe you're right it will be one of those acts that eludes glasto.

Kanye sort of did a one off show for glasto 2015 in europe IIRC, so who knows..

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

No bigger than U2, Coldplay and Beyoncé the following year.

Which, allegedly, was supposed to be U2, Coldplay, and Prince. With Beyonce as a sub before Coldplay.

To be fair, with hindsight Beyonce as headliner looks much bigger than it was at the time - partly because of what she's done since, and partly because she absolutely killed it. It was considered quite a weak booking when it was announced, especially as she was only sub headliner at TITP two weeks later.

38 minutes ago, Ovechkin said:

That would be a shame, he's in his prime now, 2020 feels doubtful since its the 50th, 2021 who knows where he is.. maybe you're right it will be one of those acts that eludes glasto.

Kanye sort of did a one off show for glasto 2015 in europe IIRC, so who knows..

I thought Kendrick was an obvious contender.....but they couldn't give tickets away for his recent Summer Sessions show. Granted Glasgow isn't the home of hip hop and he'd already played in February....but it felt like the general momentum was cooling rather than accelerating.

35 minutes ago, incident said:

Which, allegedly, was supposed to be U2, Coldplay, and Prince. With Beyonce as a sub before Coldplay.

To be fair, with hindsight Beyonce as headliner looks much bigger than it was at the time - partly because of what she's done since, and partly because she absolutely killed it. It was considered quite a weak booking when it was announced, especially as she was only sub headliner at TITP two weeks later.

Her being a sub at TITP was the strange one. Including Destiny's Child she'd already had several number one albums and sold millions of records. I'm not sure what the sales numbers for her first few solo records were as of 2011, but two of them have sold over a million each in the UK alone at the time of writing.

Having said that, she does appear to have grown in stature in the years since, but she was still a big star at the time. I don't think she was a particularly weak booking, just unusually 'pop' for Glastonbury at the time.