2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

18 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

All different views I guess but 2004 was the last time so why do it again unless he knows he's doing it on a big anniversary. Next year is no different to any other and he doesn't need it for anything reason other than to say I did it on this year. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him, Coldplay and whoever out of FM/Madonna doesn't do it this year...if any of them actually do play it. I think FM without Buckingham though are at their most likely now and with their age, I don't think the year matters to them. Madonna...I think would only do it for that fee on the big one.

Why did Radiohead do it again in 2017? Why did Muse and Coldplay do it again in 2016? Why did The Who do it again in 2015? Artists go back to festivals all the time, especially when they have new material. What better way for Paul McCartney to promote his album than headlining Glasto?

24 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

All different views I guess but 2004 was the last time so why do it again unless he knows he's doing it on a big anniversary.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Actually that's probably bang on the money, completely forgot about Bonnaroo and he's not done it for 6 years next year. Not only that, Firefly is just after and he could easily do that too.

I'm confused dude. Why wouldn't the same argument apply to both Glastonbury and Bonnaroo? Am I missing something obvious?

Just now, Quark said:

I'm confused dude. Why wouldn't the same argument apply to both Glastonbury and Bonnaroo? Am I missing something obvious?

Because Bonnaroo will chuck money at him to play, a lot of it....Eminem had done it twice I believe for the same reason so for Macca it's the case of if he's got the offer and he's around then and ready to play it then yeah. Most huge artists, unless they have a relationship if the fest if you like will do Glasto once to tick it off for them to be honest. Take FF for example last year, never headlined the fest before, do we really think it'll ever happen again?, U2 is very unlikely again...Bono will chose a paid gig with a closer crowd over every time imagine. There is no guarantee that the weather wouldn't be shit again for it to make it better for them even...I actually enjoyed it myself.

57 minutes ago, sisco said:

See I disagree.  New Album, already touring, why not do it next year? Will he be about the year after?  Makes complete sense that it’s now. 

exact words I would have typed... age, all the rock stars we're losing these days, am sure he couldn't care less about 50th anniversary. 

44 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

Decent chance the dates are cut off there because he's going to be announced for Bonnaroo (June 13-16) later on. It's right in the region

if he had never played Bonnaroo that would be a great shout (and a credit to your US geography knowledge), but it seemed like it was just yesterday - or past 5 yrs - that he played it (with the mighty Wilco on just before him I might add) and it's hardly something 'important' enough that he'd play it again so soon, surely. 15 years for something like Glastonbury on the other hand....

3 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

if he had never played Bonnaroo that would be a great shout (and a credit to your US geography knowledge), but it seemed like it was just yesterday - or past 5 yrs - that he played it (with the mighty Wilco on just before him I might add) and it's hardly something 'important' enough that he'd play it again so soon, surely. 15 years for something like Glastonbury on the other hand....

You might be right, but as mentioned above, Bonnaroo is willing to throw $$$ at headliners in a way that Glasto doesn't, and I would add that the demographics of Bonnaroo have changed a lot since he last played in 2013...they haven't really repeated a "Legacy" headliner before, but I think it's very possible...those dates are just lined up too perfectly.

And my geographical knowledge can be chalked up to being an American who attended 7 Bonnaroos before discovering Glastonbury...no special trick there

1 minute ago, FatAmmy said:

You might be right, but as mentioned above, Bonnaroo is willing to throw $$$ at headliners in a way that Glasto doesn't, and I would add that the demographics of Bonnaroo have changed a lot since he last played in 2013...they haven't really repeated a "Legacy" headliner before, but I think it's very possible...those dates are just lined up too perfectly.

And my geographical knowledge can be chalked up to being an American who attended 7 Bonnaroos before discovering Glastonbury...no special trick there

ha! 8 Glastonburys and 1 Bonnaroo (2007) for me. - 50/50 American/Brit me 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Not sure I agree but the money bit's fair enough, it was the "he's not done it for 6 years bit that still don't make a lot of sense to me. Do you mean they'll throw the money because it's been 6 years?

The 6 years is merely just a time frame I put as a decent amount of time before returning.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't see Macca playing Glasto next year, 100% he'd be doing 50th if he does it for me. We know they want him and he can choose.

I think if he is doing it, it’ll be 2019. Rumour was that two of the headliners for 2020 were already booked in 2017 - I think it’s a risky strategy lining up Macca to play an event three years away...

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

So What’s the realistic list to pick from next year?

Madonna, Arctic Monkeys, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac,  Stormzy, Liam Gallagher, The 1975, Kendrick Lemar...... Struggling for other names but sure I’ve missed someone obvious.

Arcade Fire, Black Keys(Who knows when they'll reappear), Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Florence, NIN, Drake, The Cure, Green Day, Gorillaz, Depeche Mode, Justin Timberlake, Paul Simon, iron Maiden, Waters or Gilmour

Some of these are I'm sure unrealiastic but just spitballing

15 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

Arcade Fire, Black Keys(Who knows when they'll reappear), Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Florence, NIN, Drake, The Cure, Green Day, Gorillaz, Depeche Mode, Justin Timberlake, Paul Simon, iron Maiden, Waters or Gilmour

I think only The Cure would be possible from that list 

20 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

Neil Young's been playing again with Crazy Horse - it's anyone's guess as to whether he'll keep interest in this until next summer. Paul Simon's just retired - bit too soon for the comeback tour. The Cure, Depeche Mode both possible but I think their time has gone. I wouldn't be too surprised if Waters or Gilmour do it one year, and given their ages, it'd have to be fairly soon you'd think. 

16 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Neil Young's been playing again with Crazy Horse - it's anyone's guess as to whether he'll keep interest in this until next summer. Paul Simon's just retired - bit too soon for the comeback tour. The Cure, Depeche Mode both possible but I think their time has gone. I wouldn't be too surprised if Waters or Gilmour do it one year, and given their ages, it'd have to be fairly soon you'd think. 

Gilmour has retired from big shows and Waters had he played Glasto would have fitted it in amongst his own shows . With the amount of musicians and production for his shows he won’t do a one off  for Glasto .

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

I think if he is doing it, it’ll be 2019. Rumour was that two of the headliners for 2020 were already booked in 2017 - I think it’s a risky strategy lining up Macca to play an event three years away...

If that's true then FM are not 1 of those, Macca I admit less so but possible. 

2 hours ago, sisco said:

So What’s the realistic list to pick from next year?

Madonna, Arctic Monkeys, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac,  Stormzy, Liam Gallagher, The 1975, Kendrick Lemar...... Struggling for other names but sure I’ve missed someone obvious.

1 hour ago, ivan said:

Gilmour has retired from big shows and Waters had he played Glasto would have fitted it in amongst his own shows . With the amount of musicians and production for his shows he won’t do a one off  for Glasto .

If his The Wall tour is anything to go by, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Waters does another round of the Us and Them Tour next year.

9 hours ago, henry bear said:

Depeche Mode won't be about for another 3 and a half years anyway. I agree though unfortunately, their time has been and gone. They should have done it when they had the chance.

27 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

still don't think stormzy is big enough to headline! and hi year was really last year he's kind of gone down hill since

Not sure you can say he's gone downhill, he just hasn't released anything since last year. He'll be huge when he releases the next album 

• Upvote 1