2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Kanye headlined final The Big Chill before it got canned and Gazza spent every year since banging on about how Kanye killed the festival and couldn't headline any other festival now.

8 hours ago, Mash011 said:

What a racist

7 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I thought you'd pop up lmao, you think fuck!

I'll be sure to pass onto my black friend not to go out dressed as a mime again, as you're a white person and only you're allowed!

Actually just going to block you as you are as clear dick as they come.

I'm confused.

Have I missed something?!

9 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

In fact I think Kendrick right now is probably a similar size to 2015 Kanye, which is why I can see it happening.

2015 Kanye had six albums under his belt, with a record of hits that resonated across the mainstream. Kendrick's yet to have a Gold Digger, Stronger, Run This Town, Niggas in Paris, or All Falls Down moment. If you look at Kanye or Jay-Z at the time they headlined, they were megastars in a way Kendrick simply isn't yet.

That doesn't mean he's not headliner worthy, of course. But they'd be booking Kendrick based on artistic merit rather than commercial success. Just as warranted, but not quite the same.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I'm confused.

Have I missed something?!

Gazza dressed up in blackface and gets defensive every time it gets mentioned on here, adamant that it isn't a racist thing to do. That bafflingly incoherent post you quoted from me was a copy and paste of one of Gazza's replies to Mash telling Gazza the reason he gets shit on on this forum isn't for not going to Primavera, it's for wearing blackface to parties.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

2015 Kanye had six albums under his belt, with a record of hits that resonated across the mainstream. Kendrick's yet to have a Gold Digger, Stronger, Run This Town, Niggas in Paris, or All Falls Down moment. If you look at Kanye or Jay-Z at the time they headlined, they were megastars in a way Kendrick simply isn't yet.

That doesn't mean he's not headliner worthy, of course. But they'd be booking Kendrick based on artistic merit rather than commercial success. Just as warranted, but not quite the same.

Kanye had more hits, sure, but in terms of ticket sales was he bigger than Kendrick is now? Yeah he was more of a household name, fair enough.

Kendrick sold out 2x O2 Arena shows, a Wembley arena show and arena shows in Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow last year. I don't really see how he wouldn't be booked on commercial success.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:58 PM, eastynh said:

n regards to Pearl Jam, I seen them at Mad Cool and they were so dull it was unreal. They would put the field to sleep. I would rather Wiley put his cd on and rap over the top of it.

Hang on, what are you talking about?! Everyone was absolutely loving it where we were. It was probably the set of the weekend for me. They absolute nail a Glastonbury slot. 

On 8/14/2018 at 11:49 PM, Gucci Piggy said:

Kanye headlined final The Big Chill before it got canned and Gazza spent every year since banging on about how Kanye killed the festival and couldn't headline any other festival now.

Haha to be fair, it was possibly the worst "headline" set I've ever seen. There was nothing else of merit on either, if 2manydjs hadn't been in after I'd probably have just gone to bed. 

12 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Hang on, what are you talking about?! Everyone was absolutely loving it where we were. It was probably the set of the weekend for me. They absolute nail a Glastonbury slot. 

Agree entirely other than the fact NIN beat them to best set of the weekend for me. I didn't think they'd work headlining Glasto beforehand but now I think they'd smash it.

6 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Haha to be fair, it was possibly the worst "headline" set I've ever seen. There was nothing else of merit on either, if 2manydjs hadn't been in after I'd probably have just gone to bed. 

I said me, not everyone else. I found it exceedingly dull and reckon a lot would at Glastonbury. They are a niche band and the crowd at Mad Cool were perfect for them. They have 1 uk top 10 hit and no uk no 1 albums. They would die on their arse headlining Glastonbury imo.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

I said me, not everyone else. I found it exceedingly dull and reckon a lot would at Glastonbury. They are a niche band and the crowd at Mad Cool were perfect for them. They have 1 uk top 10 hit and no uk no 1 albums. They would die on their arse headlining Glastonbury imo.

You said they'd put the field to sleep, though, which is the opposite of what the crowd reaction at Mad Cool would suggest. I accept that a large amount of that crowd will have bought tickets solely for Pearl Jam, mind. Only thing I can really add to the discussion is that I watched them with a friend who only knew Better Man and he thought they were great.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

You said they'd put the field to sleep, though, which is the opposite of what the crowd reaction at Mad Cool would suggest. I accept that a large amount of that crowd will have bought tickets solely for Pearl Jam, mind. Only thing I can really add to the discussion is that I watched them with a friend who only knew Better Man and he thought they were great.

At Glastonbury I reckon they would put the field to sleep. Not for one minute did I think they were exciting in any way. Contrast that to NIN who I have no love for either, they kept me absolutely gripped. I thought PJ were just dull dad rock.

PJ have never been particularly popular over here and have no hits what so ever. They would leave the picnic crew at the pyramid utterly bemused.

They join Depeche Mode and the Cure in being too big not to headline but not popular enough in 2019 to headline.

24 minutes ago, eastynh said:

At Glastonbury I reckon they would put the field to sleep. Not for one minute did I think they were exciting in any way. Contrast that to NIN who I have no love for either, they kept me absolutely gripped. I thought PJ were just dull dad rock.

PJ have never been particularly popular over here and have no hits what so ever. They would leave the picnic crew at the pyramid utterly bemused.

They join Depeche Mode and the Cure in being too big not to headline but not popular enough in 2019 to headline.

When is one of these "too big" bands going to cave and headline Other? Pearl Jam would fill that stage fine.

After two pretty poor singles, this new single is such a banger, and I'm convinced again that The 1975 are headliner worthy. Prediction atm has to be The 1975/Paul McCartney/Fleetwood Mac in that order. Funnily enough that was the first prediction in this thread 

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

When is one of these "too big" bands going to cave and headline Other? Pearl Jam would fill that stage fine.

Can't see any of them doing it tbh. They all probably see themselves as festival headliners. I think that's it for Depeche Mode now anyway and after seeing them at Mad Cool, I would not want to see them at a festival again. 

59 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Can't see any of them doing it tbh. They all probably see themselves as festival headliners. I think that's it for Depeche Mode now anyway and after seeing them at Mad Cool, I would not want to see them at a festival again. 

Dull as dishwater at IOW too, according to some

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Depeche Mode were also fucking sick at Mad Cool - ten times better than at Rock Werchter in 2013. My dad's agronomist went to IOW and said they were shit but he loves Kasabian so I didn't really put too much stock in his opinion, although I did watch the highlights and thought they looked a bit naff.

Of course your dad has an agronomist.

I was at Mad Cool, too. Pearl Jam and Depeche Mode were both incredible, two of my absolute favourites but I do kind of agree that they don't feel like Glastonbury headliners at all, for different reasons. 

Pearl Jam I don't think have had sufficient mainstream commercial success for them to hold a Pyramid crowd for two hours. There'd be a lot of people waiting for "Jeremy" then head off to another stage. Feels a little bit like Metallica in 2014. There was a fair bit of interest early on but the crowd definitely thinned out as the set wore on (I loved it btw). It's a shame because they sound incredible, such a tight band musically, really on form on this last tour. Maybe when it comes to headlining, they're a case of "too big for the Other Stage, not quite right for the Pyramid"?

Depeche Mode have the back catalogue it's just whether they chose to play it. They have a reputation for not being able to play to a festival crowd. Good example of that was at Mad Cool. The first half of the set was full of either new album tracks or more recent singles and people soon lost interest (around us, at least). But once they played "Everything Counts" it was hit after hit and there was a noticeable difference in the crowd. I've got no doubt that a Depeche Mode greatest hits set on the Pyramid would be nothing less than a triumph, I just think they'd do it on their terms and we'd get a tour setlist, which wouldn't reflect them in the light they deserve.

Pearl Jam are simple - they’re great if you’re a fan, but if you’re not then you’ll likely be a bit bored and underwhelmed.

For me, bands that fall in that category are the perfect Other headliners. I would love to see it, but it seems unlikely. I would like to see a band of that ilk booked for the Other though, something a bit rock/grunge oriented. Hell, TOOL might finally have an album out...