2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Have The 1975 penetrated the mainstream consciousness? They may have a sizeable fanbase but I don't see them as a huge crossover band, and are they that much bigger than Royal Blood and The Xx who subbed last year? Whilst the same could be said about Cave/PJ, at least they are legends.

Edit: just saw that jparx made a similar point (above) about The 1975 being on a similar scale to Royal Blood.

I'd say they are bigger than Royal Blood, they're selling out arenas whilst RB's biggest shows were at Ally Pally if I'm not mistaken. There's also the feeling that RB have pretty much peaked, can't see where else they can go with their current sound, whereas 1975 seem to be getting bigger.

They will headline a major festival next summer. I'm certain of it.

Ya I was completely wrong about the arenas, need to look shit up before posting. They're a massive commercial force and it's looking like this album could turn them into a critical one as well. 

That said, booking wise I could see them getting booked in a similar way to Metallica etc as a potential headliner if they can't secure three mega bands. I think both the band and the festival would be happy with that. 

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Ya I was completely wrong about the arenas, need to look shit up before posting. They're a massive commercial force and it's looking like this album could turn them into a critical one as well. 

That said, booking wise I could see them getting booked in a similar way to Metallica etc as a potential headliner if they can't secure three mega bands. I think both the band and the festival would be happy with that. 

I know there's a set headliner fee, but I've sometimes wondered if some acts are happy to accept a slightly reduced one for the privilege of being bumped up to headliner. Which in turn allows the festival to offer a little more to a mega name, this is my theory on how Mumfords got the gig in 2013 and I suspect similar could happen next year.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I know there's a set headliner fee, but I've sometimes wondered if some acts are happy to accept a slightly reduced one for the privilege of being bumped up to headliner. Which in turn allows the festival to offer a little more to a mega name, this is my theory on how Mumfords got the gig in 2013 and I suspect similar could happen next year.

Obviously I can’t say how much Mumfords got paid for their headline set but they were (albeit briefly) one of the hottest acts in the world and were without a doubt big enough to do it, which is just where The 1975 are/will be imo.

I hope it's Madonna. Over the course of my 3 visits to Glasto, I am yet to see a pyramid headliner. Just one would be nice.

In regards to Pearl Jam, I seen them at Mad Cool and they were so dull it was unreal. They would put the field to sleep. I would rather Wiley put his cd on and rap over the top of it.

Edited by eastynh
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Only thing being it’s been a few years since a band has had such a huge rise in stardom/popularity (Mumfords being the last one) which is why no headliners of their stature have been booked. Their new album will undoubtedly be huge and the only way I see Glastonbury not getting them to headline is if they’re at Reading/Leeds instead, or if Glastonbury already had their 3 mega acts lined up. I’d initially thought they may have done a Foals and headlined R/L and sub Glastonbury but I think theylll be too big for that come next year (unless they take the sub position purely to be at Glastonbury). 

Valid point! I still get the feeling they are more likely for Reading and Leeds. I think R+L will go out of their way to grab them, and Glastonbury seem to have a few different options right now, but I guess we'll see!

I hope they do headline in all honesty. The rest of the rumours are right up my alley and I don't really want all three nights at the Pyramid. 

I only find "I don't want three nights at the Pyramid" to be a thing when there's just not enough to drag me away from all three, eg. if Arctic Monkeys played I would likely dip because I'm not that interested to go just for the occasion. If they're Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar and someone else I'd be all over, R.E.M. or something, then gimme three fuckin nights at the big one.

Back to The 1975, I think it's abundantly clear that Glastonbury isn't the place that's bumping new headliners up - they want the biggest and best available every year (which The 1975 could arguably be when we get there, but you can be forgiven for not thinking so). R+L will surely have them next year and will have signed them up for 2019 a few years ago before Glastonbury had even finished its 2017 headline trio. They'll surely do well and be back at Glasto the following year or on the next album. I don't see the need for either party to race straight to the 1975's Pyramid headline slot.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd say they are bigger than Royal Blood, they're selling out arenas whilst RB's biggest shows were at Ally Pally if I'm not mistaken. There's also the feeling that RB have pretty much peaked, can't see where else they can go with their current sound, whereas 1975 seem to be getting bigger.

They will headline a major festival next summer. I'm certain of it.

RB played bigger that Ally Pally for certain.

If The 1975 don't do the whole take a sub to be at Glasto similar to Foals/Disclosure then I think it'll be Glastonbury. They would be a headline choice by the following year definitely and Glastonbury aren't going to get them to headline the 50th edition. Headline Glasto and most likely get the R&L slot the year after....Headline R&L, wait until the next album and hope you are still in the same stature to be asked? It's too big an option for them not to take it.

To be fair, those shows were after they did Glastonbury, whereas The 1975 have already sold out arenas, which is what I think @Hugh Jass meant. Either way I agree with people saying The 1975 won't headline as Glastonbury will likely choose more experienced and proven acts. R&L seems much more likely.

Edited by kingcrawler

4 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

To be fair, those shows were after they did Glastonbury, whereas The 1975 have already sold out arenas, which is what I think @Hugh Jass meant. Either way I agree with people saying The 1975 won't headline as Glastonbury will likely choose more experienced and proven acts. R&L seems much more likely.

Glastonbury do very much have a past of giving headliners their 1st big slot, it's not something that is new and tbf I don't see how Kendrick who's been spoke about would be any different to this?.

Kanye, FATM, The Killers, Muse, KOL, Arctic Monkeys and Mumford & Sons.

Get FATM wa a pull out but still. I believe Jay Z was too.

6 hours ago, eastynh said:

I hope it's Madonna. Over the course of my 3 visits to Glasto, I am yet to see a pyramid headliner. Just one would be nice.

In regards to Pearl Jam, I seen them at Mad Cool and they were so dull it was unreal. They would put the field to sleep. I would rather Wiley put his cd on and rap over the top of it.

They were sick but Wiley would be sick, too.

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Glastonbury do very much have a past of giving headliners their 1st big slot, it's not something that is new and tbf I don't see how Kendrick who's been spoke about would be any different to this?.

Kendrick is a major festival headliner the world over and will have headlined a major UK festival (presumably the second biggest after Glasto with both sites taken into account?) already by next year. The 1975 won't have headlined one major festival anywhere. Of course it's different.

I don't really see Kanye as fitting with the rest of your list as he was a bona fide megastar when they booked him, and Flo was a replacement as you say. The last headliner who'd be a similar booking to The 1975 are Mumford and Sons, and for me the booking policy seems to have changed since then.

In fact I think Kendrick right now is probably a similar size to 2015 Kanye, which is why I can see it happening.

28 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Kendrick is already a headliner whether Glastonbury book him or not. He couldn't realistically play any other slot at Glasto other than headliner. Him being booked would be absolutely nothing like when Muse or Kings of Leon were booked.

Kanye was a headliner before 2015 too, that wasn't some bold booking giving someone a step up to the big time was it. Like I dunno if he actually headlined any UK festivals before then, but if he didn't then I assume it just wasn't something he wanted to do.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Kendrick is a major festival headliner the world over and will have headlined a major UK festival (presumably the second biggest after Glasto with both sites taken into account?) already by next year. The 1975 won't have headlined one major festival anywhere. Of course it's different.

I don't really see Kanye as fitting with the rest of your list as he was a bona fide megastar when they booked him, and Flo was a replacement as you say. The last headliner who'd be a similar booking to The 1975 are Mumford and Sons, and for me the booking policy seems to have changed since then.

In fact I think Kendrick right now is probably a similar size to 2015 Kanye, which is why I can see it happening.

Fuck's sake you beat me by seconds with pretty much the exact same post 

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Dunno seems a jump to say the booking policy's changed since '14, I just think they've had a string of 'lucky' years where they managed to get 3 massive acts.

7 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Kanye was a headliner before 2015 too, that wasn't some bold booking giving someone a step up to the big time was it. Like I dunno if he actually headlined any UK festivals before then, but if he didn't then I assume it just wasn't something he wanted to do.

Oh god, Big Chill argument incoming...

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Kanye headlined final The Big Chill before it got canned and Gazza spent every year since banging on about how Kanye killed the festival and couldn't headline any other festival now.

Ahhh ok, never heard of it tbh. Sounds similar to how Metallica and Iron Maiden proved they shouldn't be headlining festivals after Sonisphere got binned.

9 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

What a racist

I thought you'd pop up lmao, you think fuck!

I'll be sure to pass onto my black friend not to go out dressed as a mime again, as you're a white person and only you're allowed!

Actually just going to block you as you are as clear dick as they come.

38 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I thought you'd pop up lmao, you think fuck!

I'll be sure to pass onto my black friend not to go out dressed as a mime again, as you're a white person and only you're allowed!

Actually just going to block you as you are as clear dick as they come.

You spelt your wrong (i.e. right)

7 hours ago, Odessa said:

Kendrick is already a headliner whether Glastonbury book him or not. He couldn't realistically play any other slot at Glasto other than headliner. Him being booked would be absolutely nothing like when Muse or Kings of Leon were booked.

Yes he will have headlined Reading this year, he hasn't yet to see how it's come across we'll take that one. It was his 1st big UK Festival booking and to be honest that's what matters here. People may have topped outside the UK but bands have topped Glastonbury here without getting the slots elsewhere.

Pretty sure that's about 6 of those that Glastonbury gave a bump up, Muse for example they took a bit chance on when they did it.