2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think that would make you Gammon. Not down with the kids? I bet you want to launch a nuclear attack don't you? Don't you?? Why not, do you want the Communists to take us over and have us all speak German? 

Bet he watches Billy Bragg at Glastonbury, the massive gammon.

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Is the general consensus now that The 1975 will be one of the headliners with Macca one of the others?

The 1975 is just a guess tbh. Could easily be them but they could just as easily headline R&L instead.

Macca seems like it could be a goer based on Emily's reaction when asked about him. I can't remember whether the question was specifically about 2019, though, so he could even be one of the 2020 headliners for the anniversary.

At the moment I'd say Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, Madonna, Arctic Monkeys, The 1975 and Kendrick Lamar are the consensus picks, but they all seem to be pretty evenly predicted.

20 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The 1975 is just a guess tbh. Could easily be them but they could just as easily headline R&L instead.

Macca seems like it could be a goer based on Emily's reaction when asked about him. I can't remember whether the question was specifically about 2019, though, so he could even be one of the 2020 headliners for the anniversary.

At the moment I'd say Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, Madonna, Arctic Monkeys, The 1975 and Kendrick Lamar are the consensus picks, but they all seem to be pretty evenly predicted.

Are the 1975 big enough the headline? I thought their songs where geared towards teenage girls? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

They're selling out arenas at the moment, if their next album is a hit then they have to be considered contenders.

I mean I'm fully pro-1975 and it's been a while but as far as I know they've done one arena which they didn't sell out? 

They'll inevitably have a proper arena tour to announce soon, anyway. 

2 hours ago, Drfoxxx said:

Are the 1975 big enough the headline? 

It's curious that the likes of Nick Cave, Pearl Jam etc aren't perceived to be but The 1975 are. Not sure how much of this is as a result of the singer proclaiming their desire to headline rather than any realistic prospect of it happening.

19 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I mean I'm fully pro-1975 and it's been a while but as far as I know they've done one arena which they didn't sell out? 

They'll inevitably have a proper arena tour to announce soon, anyway. 

I admit I haven't been playing attention to them that closely but I thought they had already done a run in arenas? It's likely that I'm wrong.

11 minutes ago, henry bear said:

It's curious that the likes of Nick Cave, Pearl Jam etc aren't perceived to be but The 1975 are. Not sure how much of this is as a result of the singer proclaiming their desire to headline rather than any realistic prospect of it happening.

Difference is that The 1975 are still regarding as up and coming and are likely to get even bigger. The likes of Cave and Pearl Jam have been round long enough to have plateaued at a decent level of popularity. The feeling is that if they were going to do it they would have done by now. As good as both artists are neither have penetrated the mainstream consciousness.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I admit I haven't been playing attention to them that closely but I thought they had already done a run in arenas? It's likely that I'm wrong.

Yeah they’ve done lerds of arenas.

Also re: Nick Cave, he’s bigger than he’s ever been but his hair is p. bad so it looks unlikely.

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Looks like they started an arena tour after their 2nd album at the end of 2016, with a few of them selling out. I just wouldn't expect them to pull a large enough crowd in for a headliner? I may be wrong. 

They just aren't my cup of tea but each to their own.

Edited by Drfoxxx

1 minute ago, Drfoxxx said:

To be fair to them though looks like they got Number 1 here and over in the US with their last album. 

I think they're already a pretty big deal (again, not my thing so haven't been paying too much attention) and they have an album due this year. It would be on a par with when Kings Of Leon headlined IMO.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I think they're already a pretty big deal (again, not my thing so haven't been paying too much attention) and they have an album due this year. It would be on a par with when Kings Of Leon headlined IMO.

By the looks of it they have 2 albums coming out between now and May next year.

I just don't see them going with The 1975 as headliners.  If you look back at all of the recent headliners since the last fallow, it just doesn't suggest to me that they will go with an act of that size and stature. Of the 15 headliners since the last fallow year, I'd suggest only 3 would be comparable to The 1975 in terms of either recent or historical popularity (Mumf, Arcade Fire and Flo, and Flo wasn't originally supposed to headline). The other 12 were bands were either heavily established, repeat headliners or "legendary" acts. That might mean, of course, that they want to buck that trend with the next batch of festivals, but I'd bet heavily on them going with something like Arctic Monkeys, Macca, FM, Madonna etc. Kendrick would be a step down in terms of popularity compared to those names, but I'd argue his critical success and huge popularity in the US would put him above The 1975.   

I think it's much more likely that they sub the Pyramid before someone like Arctic Monkeys if they end up on the Farm. I might be way off here with my popularity radar, but I would imagine they aren't too much bigger than Royal Blood, and they ended up 3rd from the top last time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Difference is that The 1975 are still regarding as up and coming and are likely to get even bigger. The likes of Cave and Pearl Jam have been round long enough to have plateaued at a decent level of popularity. The feeling is that if they were going to do it they would have done by now. As good as both artists are neither have penetrated the mainstream consciousness.

Have The 1975 penetrated the mainstream consciousness? They may have a sizeable fanbase but I don't see them as a huge crossover band, and are they that much bigger than Royal Blood and The Xx who subbed last year? Whilst the same could be said about Cave/PJ, at least they are legends.

Edit: just saw that jparx made a similar point (above) about The 1975 being on a similar scale to Royal Blood.

Edited by henry bear

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I just don't see them going with The 1975 as headliners.  If you look back at all of the recent headliners since the last fallow, it just doesn't suggest to me that they will go with an act of that size and stature. Of the 15 headliners since the last fallow year, I'd suggest only 3 would be comparable to The 1975 in terms of either recent or historical popularity (Mumf, Arcade Fire and Flo, and Flo wasn't originally supposed to headline). The other 12 were bands were either heavily established, repeat headliners or "legendary" acts. That might mean, of course, that they want to buck that trend with the next batch of festivals, but I'd bet heavily on them going with something like Arctic Monkeys, Macca, FM, Madonna etc. Kendrick would be a step down in terms of popularity compared to those names, but I'd argue his critical success and huge popularity in the US would put him above The 1975.   

I think it's much more likely that they sub the Pyramid before someone like Arctic Monkeys if they end up on the Farm. I might be way off here with my popularity radar, but I would imagine they aren't too much bigger than Royal Blood, and they ended up 3rd from the top last time.

Only thing being it’s been a few years since a band has had such a huge rise in stardom/popularity (Mumfords being the last one) which is why no headliners of their stature have been booked. Their new album will undoubtedly be huge and the only way I see Glastonbury not getting them to headline is if they’re at Reading/Leeds instead, or if Glastonbury already had their 3 mega acts lined up. I’d initially thought they may have done a Foals and headlined R/L and sub Glastonbury but I think theylll be too big for that come next year (unless they take the sub position purely to be at Glastonbury). 

Edited by FloorFiller