2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I can see the reasoning behind people thinking he might but I really don't see it myself - I feel like the initial mega hype may have subsided come album #2. Subbing the Pyramid though? Definitely.

I'll stand by what I said, there is not a chance that Stormzy is big enough to headline Glasto imo, but I completely agree with the above. One day of course he could be, but right now, I really can't see it. No disrespect to him, but I think it would be put down as one of the weakest Glasto headliners of modern times if that was the case. To be fair The 1975 would probably get that tag too, but they have now had 2 very popular albums, which are not just popular off of the strength of their singles either, so I'd think that's more likely, if they wanted a cheaper headliner to complement 2 'big ones'.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Said it before but I just don’t see it happening for Foals now, or at least not so soon.  I think they’ve lost a lot of momentum and would need a pretty spectacular new album to make their booking as a headliner not seem very weak, and honestly I don’t think they’ll deliver. Other bands like The 1975 have overtaken them in the last few years as the hot new British act to rise up the ranks.

Yeah I think Foals' time has been and gone. More likely to headline the Other than the Pyramid next time IMO.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah I think Foals' time has been and gone. More likely to headline the Other than the Pyramid next time IMO.

Even if they don’t do it soon, in a couple of albums time when they’ve likely headlined Reading once or twice more and maybe some other events, it’ll be a pretty cut and dried thing. Basically what Kasabian did; get big enough to headline and stay there through incompetence of other bands

Edited by dentalplan

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Even if they don’t do it soon, in a couple of albums time when they’ve likely headlined Reading once or twice more and maybe some other events, it’ll be a pretty cut and dried thing. Basically what Kasabian did; get big enough to headline and stay there through incompetence of other bands

Have they headlined anywhere big on their own? Think they've co-headlined Reading and maybe done some of the smaller ones but not sure they have the chops to headline the Pyramid, although this may be based on the fact that I found their sub slot a couple of years ago deathly dull.

It feels to me that they've peaked in terms of popularity and are on a downward slope now, even when they were at their peak they didn't quite feel big enough to do it. Unless their next album is absolutely killer then I can't see them ever headlining, forever trapped in sub-purgatory with Nick Cave.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Said it before but I just don’t see it happening for Foals now, or at least not so soon.  I think they’ve lost a lot of momentum and would need a pretty spectacular new album to make their booking as a headliner not seem very weak, and honestly I don’t think they’ll deliver. Other bands like The 1975 have overtaken them in the last few years as the hot new British act to rise up the ranks.

The minute they headline Citadel a year after Reading they said goodbye to Glastonbury. It wasn't even mentioned in Emily Eavis list off of who could do it.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Have they headlined anywhere big on their own? Think they've co-headlined Reading and maybe done some of the smaller ones but not sure they have the chops to headline the Pyramid, although this may be based on the fact that I found their sub slot a couple of years ago deathly dull.

It feels to me that they've peaked in terms of popularity and are on a downward slope now, even when they were at their peak they didn't quite feel big enough to do it. Unless their next album is absolutely killer then I can't see them ever headlining, forever trapped in sub-purgatory with Nick Cave.

But what I’m saying is that they would have the chops if they headlined Reading a couple more times and the Isle of Wight or something, they would be seen as headliners. And even if they’ve peaked, they’ll still be at a level where other major fests will want them to headline.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But what I’m saying is that they would have the chops if they headlined Reading a couple more times and the Isle of Wight or something, they would be seen as headliners. And even if they’ve peaked, they’ll still be at a level where other major fests will want them to headline.

Think they’re more likely to go the inevitable way of Biffy and maybe get one more stab at topping R/L before dropping back down to smaller festivals. They’d need some kind of career boost by releasing a stormer of an album or something to remains/be seen as a major headliner imo, cause at the moment they’re on a bit of a downward trend.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Think they’re more likely to go the inevitable way of Biffy and maybe get one more stab at topping R/L before dropping back down to smaller festivals. They’d need some kind of career boost by releasing a stormer of an album or something to remains/be seen as a major headliner imo, cause at the moment they’re on a bit of a downward trend.

Well, Holy Fire was inarguably their worst album and it was the one that made them headliners so I dunno about the quality argument. They have acknowledged that WWD was rushed and they were disappointed with how it turned out, and I feel like they’ve been working on the latest one for quite some time now so hopefully they’re actually getting into new terrotory with it.

47 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

That's what I meant.

4 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Could someone point me in the direction of 3 or so very good 1975 tracks please? I'm struggling to get into them. Find them massively annoying, but always like it when I get into a band I've slated in the past ?

A Change Of Heart, The Sound, Robbers.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

They need to split up for a few years then come back, as that seems to be as close to a guaranteed career boost as you can get.

Couple of days ago but The S*n’s ‘festival insider’ reckons Kendrick Lamar is in “advanced negotiations” about headlining Glastonbury. The article also intimates that McCartney is also set to headline but doesn’t really say anything else about that.

Obviously take it with a yer lump a salt but it’s something to throw in there, I guess. I know that a few others and I have predicted them to headline so it doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Kendrick + McCartney would be a great pair, so much so that I'd hope the third is something like The 1975 so I don't have to be at the Pyramid all three nights. I'm gonna assume Kendrick would have a new album out by then as still touring off the back of Damn. would be a bit shite/tired right?

8 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Perfect. The Neil Lonsdales of the world won't be able to complain about Kendrick because they'll be too busy salivating over the prospect of shouting "NA NA NAAAA, NANANANA, NANANANA, HEY JUUUUUDE" for hours on end the following night.

Like you’re not gonna be shouting “DRANK” in between swigs of Fosters gtfoh pillock.

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Kendrick + McCartney would be a great pair, so much so that I'd hope the third is something like The 1975 so I don't have to be at the Pyramid all three nights. I'm gonna assume Kendrick would have a new album out by then as still touring off the back of Damn. would be a bit shite/tired right?

Idk I haven’t seen him on the DAMN. tour and I’m probably gonna pass on Leeds this month so I wouldn’t give a shit personally. Maybe it’ll be like Kanye where it wasn’t Yeezus but also wasn’t TLOP.

The article seems to push the old news that they’re chasing Madonna for the third slot. I’m hoping Fleetwood Mac because I know I wouldn’t even be curious about that one.

37 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Idk I haven’t seen him on the DAMN. tour and I’m probably gonna pass on Leeds this month so I wouldn’t give a shit personally. Maybe it’ll be like Kanye where it wasn’t Yeezus but also wasn’t TLOP.

The article seems to push the old news that they’re chasing Madonna for the third slot. I’m hoping Fleetwood Mac because I know I wouldn’t even be curious about that one.

Although I'm sure it'd go down well regardless, Kendrick doesn't have the back catalogue of hits that Kanye does to really pull of a stop-gap greatest hits set. Think it'd be a more exciting headliner if he was doing it off the back of a brand new album. Also I just want another Kendrick album.

Kendrick, McCartney and Madonna (or Fleetwood) seems far too good to be true, especially with it not even being the big 50, so I'd expect one, two or even three of those to be the following year instead what with them all being such big bookings.

4 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Yeah you'd have thought so. Maybe they're not all be talked to about the same year? 

Quite possible, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they might be willing to spend a little more for 2020.

Kendrick will ask for mega money if R/L is anything to go by (although surely only half what they're paying him as it's only one show?). Macca might accept a slightly lower fee just for the fun of doing it. It might be possible to get both in one year if they convince someone like The 1975 to take a lower fee in exchange for being bumped up to first time headliners.

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I'm sure it'd go down well regardless, Kendrick doesn't have the back catalogue of hits that Kanye does to really pull of a stop-gap greatest hits set. Think it'd be a more exciting headliner if he was doing it off the back of a brand new album. Also I just want another Kendrick album.

Kendrick, McCartney and Madonna (or Fleetwood) seems far too good to be true, especially with it not even being the big 50, so I'd expect one, two or even three of those to be the following year instead what with them all being such big bookings.

I’m sure 2020 isn’t gonna impact the booking of next year’s headliners, except that they won’t book the acts that approached them to play 2020.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Surely Kendrick, Macca and one of Madge/Mac would be well out of budget?

Acts usually have to drop their usual fee to be within Glasto’s budget. The budget thing doesn’t really matter, it’s whether the acts are willing to take the standard fee.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Like you’re not gonna be shouting “DRANK” in between swigs of Fosters gtfoh pillock.

?

All I'm saying is that Macca is a good headliner to be paired with Kendrick as he'll probably be exactly what people who are against hip-hop headliners are wanting.

I'd probably see him myself unless there was something great on another stage.

18 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

?

All I'm saying is that Macca is a good headliner to be paired with Kendrick as he'll probably be exactly what people who are against hip-hop headliners are wanting.

I'd probably see him myself unless there was something great on another stage.

Ah I thought you were taking the piss out of the Hey Jude singalong like the K man was above that. But I was joking about you being a pillock.

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Kendrick, Macca & Madge/Mac would result in some terrible clashes. I’d want to see all three but like others, wouldn’t fancy the Pyramid three nights in a row. 

I think PM will show up in 2020, personally. 

If he does it again I have a that feeling too, he earns too much money still easily and Glasto next year won't be any different to him but to play the 50th anniversary just might be. In 2020 as well they could probably get 3 that would charge crazy fees but lower them for that.

15 hours ago, kalifire said:

Kendrick, Macca & Madge/Mac would result in some terrible clashes. I’d want to see all three but like others, wouldn’t fancy the Pyramid three nights in a row. 

I think PM will show up in 2020, personally. 

Agree! As much as I like him I would bail on Kendrick if he is announced. Would probably put him down to a "If there is nothing else for me that night" Personally.