2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Man, it all depends on what she plays!!  I stand by my opinion that a Madge set of bangers would be one of the greatest things you'd ever see. Without spoiling it by looking at Setlist.fm take a look at what she could drop, if she so chose:

Holiday

Lucky Star

Borderline

Like a Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy for You

Into the Groove

Live to Tell

Papa Don't Preach

True Blue

La Isla Bonita (and I'll fight anyone over this!!)

Who's That Girl

Like a Prayer

Cherish

Vogue

Justify my Love

Playground

Erotica

Secret

Take a Bow

You'll See

Frozen

Ray of Light

Beautiful Stranger

Music

Don't Tell Me

Hollywood

Hung Up

4 Minutes

Looks great when said like that but from what I've read you may get three or four of those if you're lucky.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Looks great when said like that but from what I've read you may get three or four of those if you're lucky.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's whether we get 1/4 of those songs that I doubt.

But then it's the eternal question.  Would she give the crowd what they want, or would she try to get the new stuff on?

I don't think there's any way it would just be a wall to wall live version of her greatest hits album, but I have to believe that she'd jam it full of crackers. I mean, the Stones did a 20-song set, Radiohead did 25, so let's assume Madge did similar.  

Even if she said 50% of the set is going to be newer stuff, you could still be looking at 10-odd songs up to Ray of Light.  I reckon I could even cope with American Pie on those odds.

But yeah, risk of it being her trying to convince us that the stuff she's released in the last 10 years is on a par with the classics.

EDIT: The prospect of Madge and D-Rozzle on the same lineup is bringing out my inner glitterball :)

Edited by Quark

4 hours ago, Quark said:

But that's the point innit, apart from the Stones (as far as we know) it's the artists that bend on the pricing, not the festival

The festival would have had to bend and compromise with the band for the stones. If say both of Mac and Madonna were prepared to do it for inside 500k each then I think you'd find a headliner in the cheaper bracket like The 1975 who would probably do it for under 200k easy.

3 hours ago, Quark said:

If you're in doubt, listen to Like a Prayer on the Rebel Heart Tour live album.  If you don't get goosebumps imagining that on the Pyramid, I just don't get it!

That's just a great song. I'm at age to, to have been probably more into the Madhouse version.

40 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The festival would have had to bend and compromise with the band for the stones. If say both of Mac and Madonna were prepared to do it for inside 500k each then I think you'd find a headliner in the cheaper bracket like The 1975 who would probably do it for under 200k easy.

The 1975 would do it for a bag of skittles. 

Excellent listening for any Madge fans - http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/hit_parade/2018/03/how_madonna_turned_electronica_into_pop_for_her_1998_comeback.html?via=gdpr-consent

I have no idea if she has any form whatsoever for doing a greatest hits set.  But which living artist can compete with her back catalogue?  Paul McCartney and who else?

I've got nothing to go on, but I think we'll see Madonna next year and FM the next. We know they want both, and that they're both expensive. But with Glastonbury on the ascension in recent years, and Madonna with new material to flog, I think she'll want the exposure next year. With FM, I think the Eavii could entice them to perform at the rate they were going to pay before, but add the 50th anniversary to the negotiations as a sweetener.

I also suspect McCartney is most likely to close 2020, based on legendary status and that both sides have said they want it to happen (the Festival more strongly than him, but still).

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kalifire said:

I've got nothing to go on, but I think we'll see Madonna next year and FM the next. We know they want both, and that they're both expensive. But with Glastonbury on the ascension in recent years, and Madonna with new material to flog, I think she'll want the exposure next year. With FM, I think the Eavii could entice them to perform at the rate they were going to pay before, but add the 50th anniversary to the negotiations as a sweetener.

I also suspect McCartney is most likely to close 2020, based on legendary status and that both sides have said they want it to happen (the Festival more strongly than him, but still).

Bear in mind though that the only thing we've really heard about G50 is that, over a year ago, two acts had separately approached the festival offering to headline. I don't reckon Paul McCartney would be signing up for festivals over three years in advance, and I don't really think Fleetwood Mac would be just agreeing to play right off the bat given Mick's comments a few years ago.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Bear in mind though that the only thing we've really heard about G50 is that, over a year ago, two acts had separately approached the festival offering to headline. I don't reckon Paul McCartney would be signing up for festivals over three years in advance, and I don't really think Fleetwood Mac would be just agreeing to play right off the bat given Mick's comments a few years ago.

Plus we can assume that neither of them hold Glasto in the same light as other bands who would see playing the 50th spectacular an honour. 

Coldplay and Blur for instance. 

15 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Plus we can assume that neither of them hold Glasto in the same light as other bands who would see playing the 50th spectacular an honour. 

Coldplay and Blur for instance. 

I'm not gonna rise to your attempts to shoehorn 2020 predictions in... but yeah, the two acts that approached the fest will be bands that are fully aware of the festival and romanced by the idea of doing a 50th anniversary party. Obviously that leads to the popular theme of it being the Best Of... Glastonbury, which I also hate, but it seems more likely than them trying to simultaneously book a festival then a legendary upgrade of the festival.

I think they will have booked 2019 just like they would any year. Like, they got a headstart on 2020 because acts came in but they'll have tried to book next year as strong as they always do.

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, kalifire said:

Can’t see Stormzy headlining the Pyramid, personally. 

Yeah I can see the reasoning behind people thinking he might but I really don't see it myself - I feel like the initial mega hype may have subsided come album #2. Subbing the Pyramid though? Definitely.

20 hours ago, kalifire said:

I agree with your Madonna reasons but I think it'll be Coldplay and Blur in 2020 still.....Damon might just want to appwar being the 50th but defo think it'll be blur over any side project of his own.

4 hours ago, VCK said:

Arctic Monkeys
Madonna
Foals

Said it before but I just don’t see it happening for Foals now, or at least not so soon.  I think they’ve lost a lot of momentum and would need a pretty spectacular new album to make their booking as a headliner not seem very weak, and honestly I don’t think they’ll deliver. Other bands like The 1975 have overtaken them in the last few years as the hot new British act to rise up the ranks.

56 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Could someone point me in the direction of 3 or so very good 1975 tracks please? I'm struggling to get into them. Find them massively annoying, but always like it when I get into a band I've slated in the past ?

They all sound the same, terrible.