2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Other stage beating Pyramid on every headliner, nice. 

Seriously though, for all their faults as a live band (of which there are many) AM would be a strong headliner. Madonna would be a lot of fun but really hope it's not Macca, ultimate dad rock headliner who's almost certainly past it, book Elton instead imo. 

I do like to be at the other stage haha. 

Yea AM are pretty big, Madonna could be a lot of fun...only reason I put QOTSA opposite her is to replicate what happened in 2011 with Beyonce. But They might've outgrown that slot are a pretty successful last couple of albums. I put Macca in because a lot of people would love him on the Sunday night slot I feel, but I'd be pretty far away from it. Haha.

5 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/tame-impala-chances-headlining-glastonbury-collaborating-arctic-monkeys-2358139

I'm assuming he's talking about 2019 as I can't see why they'd be considered as Other headliners without a new album but seems like Tame Impala might be an option next year.

He said in the same interview that he hopes a new album will be out this time next year. I'm not pencilling them into my predictions personally.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:36 PM, Kalopsia said:

I'm going for AM, Madonna and Paul McCartney...other stage the streets, QOTSA and the 1975 probably completely wrong though haha.

That would be one seriously strong headliner lineup. Would also struggle to top it for the 2020 anniversary unless they can pull something out of the bag like a big reunion or someone they have chased for some time (naming no names), in my opinion 

Edited by mufcok

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

That would be one seriously strong headliner lineup. Would also struggle to top it for the 2020 anniversary unless they can pull something out of the bag like a big reunion or someone they have chased for some time (naming no names), in my opinion 

like the kinks

33 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hey all, late to the party, but I'm presuming Elton has been mooted and/or ruled out for some reason?

Just seen his tour dates for 2019:

1700029792_ScreenShot2018-07-24at10_26_24.png.cd62933aab4b596db3c16e5b4b67ea39.png

I'm by no means a big fan but would definitely give him a go. Would be a pretty good addition to his farewell tour, surely?

He's also playing Montreux on the Sunday, so Glasto on the Friday would mean 3 big shows in a row, when he's not doing 3 back to back elsewhere on the tour. Possible, but you've got to think unlikely.

5 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

He's also playing Montreux on the Sunday, so Glasto on the Friday would mean 3 big shows in a row, when he's not doing 3 back to back elsewhere on the tour. Possible, but you've got to think unlikely.

He can take his duck costume and stick it up his arse. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

do you think festivals think "we'd better have a bit of a duff line-up this year so we have a good one next year"? :P

Don't know about that, but if you've got a big anniversary coming up you might hold fire on getting a massive defining act?

Just now, Quark said:

Don't know about that, but if you've got a big anniversary coming up you might hold fire on getting a massive defining act?

it doesn't really work like that. Either an act is available on the date you want, or they're not.

It's perhaps getting a bit easier with that sort of thing as acts are now sometimes getting booked over a year in advance, but it's still got to fit with the bands plans.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

it doesn't really work like that. Either an act is available on the date you want, or they're not.

It's perhaps getting a bit easier with that sort of thing as acts are now sometimes getting booked over a year in advance, but it's still got to fit with the bands plans.

That's the bit I was thinking of.  In my mind that kind of rationale applies more to your lengendary acts like Fleetwood Mac who aren't generally recording and touring and might be considered a bit of a coup.  

For acts that are live and touring, say Kendrick, you're absolutely going to be at the mercy of whether they're available or not.

But I would still imagine, rightly or wrongly, that something like Glastonbury's 50th, they'd have a mind of what kind of acts they'd want to make it special and approach the booking accordingly.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

That's the bit I was thinking of.  In my mind that kind of rationale applies more to your lengendary acts like Fleetwood Mac who aren't generally recording and touring and might be considered a bit of a coup.  

but for that to work for the festival to choose which year, a band would have to be making solid commitments and taking bookings around 2 years before a show.

And some bands might do that ... but if they're planning a tour for 2 years time they're probably not planning to be touring in a year's time (which would be why they're planning for 2 years time), so the festival's ability to choose year isn't actually there.

There'd be exceptions to that where a mega-band was planning to be touring for 2 consecutive years, or where they were happy to play one-off shows, but neither of those are particularly common for the biggest acts. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

but for that to work for the festival to choose which year, a band would have to be making solid commitments and taking bookings around 2 years before a show.

And some bands might do that ... but if they're planning a tour for 2 years time they're probably not planning to be touring in a year's time (which would be why they're planning for 2 years time), so the festival's ability to choose year isn't actually there.

There'd be exceptions to that where a mega-band was planning to be touring for 2 consecutive years, or where they were happy to play one-off shows, but neither of those are particularly common for the biggest acts. 

Yeah fair enough.  Exception's probably the key bit.

Don't make the mistake of assuming I know anything about the stuff I chat about :lol:

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

But I would still imagine, rightly or wrongly, that something like Glastonbury's 50th, they'd have a mind of what kind of acts they'd want to make it special and approach the booking accordingly.

from what Emily told me a year ago, it appears to be the other way round - that acts approached Glastonbury specifically for 2020.

(Emily told me there were 2 acts lined up for 2020 and none for 2019).

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I'd much prefer the festival to book who they can each year - for the anniversary I would rather the lineup was strong from top to bottom opposed to spending all their time chasing a top heavy lineup

I agree with this! There are other ways to make the festival a special year besides who is headlining I think... lots of new or crazy things going around the festival would work just as well. A 50th Anniversary Shangri La for instance... make it stand out from other years. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

do you think festivals think "we'd better have a bit of a duff line-up this year so we have a good one next year"? :P

Haha absolutely not. If acts of that calibre are available and affordable I'm sure they wouldn't think twice, merely an observation :D

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Damn straight Matt.  There's 124 hours of fun to be had, only 7.5 of those are yer Pyramid headliners!

Just thinking of the rationale from a "brand" ( :bad: ) point of view

1 hour ago, Havors said:

I agree with this! There are other ways to make the festival a special year besides who is headlining I think... lots of new or crazy things going around the festival would work just as well. A 50th Anniversary Shangri La for instance... make it stand out from other years. 

I honestly don’t care if the headliners are Blur, Coldplay and Muse if the rest of the bill is cracking. 

If I was in charge of the 2020 i’d do it this way anyway, book three easy crowd garnering headliners and try and put a strong lineup on every stage. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I honestly don’t care if the headliners are Blur, Coldplay and Muse if the rest of the bill is cracking. 

If I was in charge of the 2020 i’d do it this way anyway, book three easy crowd garnering headliners and try and put a strong lineup on every stage. 

I think that's how they approach every year :) Strong lineup is very subjective though haha I think they tend to have a strong lineup every year as a whole. It's a nightmare to please everyone on this forum nevermind the thousands upon thousands who get tickets.

I think the way they can make the 50th stand out is sign that 1 massive headliner? Fleetwood Mac? Reformed Oasis? Whats left of Floyd or Roger Waters? AC/CD? Then Just loads of crazy birthday celebratory stuff around the festival. That would be my personal choice, but as I say cant please everyone... They may surprise us with 3 massive headliners AND a stupidly stacked undercard. 

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hey all, late to the party, but I'm presuming Elton has been mooted and/or ruled out for some reason?

Just seen his tour dates for 2019:

1700029792_ScreenShot2018-07-24at10_26_24.png.cd62933aab4b596db3c16e5b4b67ea39.png

I'm by no means a big fan but would definitely give him a go. Would be a pretty good addition to his farewell tour, surely?

Having seen Elton before I can confirm that he would absolutely slay the Pyramid.

3 hours ago, Quark said:

For acts that are live and touring, say Kendrick, you're absolutely going to be at the mercy of whether they're available or not.

Got to bear in mind that if an act is booking their tours 2 years in advance then they'd also have to be booked 2 years in advance for 2019, surely?

So it's not as easy as it getting to 2018 and Glasto being able to find out whether they're able to play 2019 or 2020, as their 2019 tour will be sorted in 2017.

So basically it'd be the same as booking someone like Kendrick, just a year earlier.

Might be wrong, like, but if it gets to 2017 (obviously I'm going back in time here) and they find out Fleetwood Mac are available for 2019, but they'll have to wait a year to find out if they're available for 2020, I can't imagine they'd wait.