2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

If there's a Pyramid headliner I'm into seeing, it's a lovely bonus.  I certainly don't expect it, and AM have never really been my cup of tea.

Those disclaimers out of the way, this is the most dispiriting sentence I've read today.

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

They did play the two lead singles in their set but it was still a pretty huge album so there's probably enough new material to warrant another headline set.

Nothing personal, SomeoneListeningIn, just the thought that AM would warrant a return just to play some tunes they never got round to last time.

7 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

If there's a Pyramid headliner I'm into seeing, it's a lovely bonus.  I certainly don't expect it, and AM have never really been my cup of tea.

Those disclaimers out of the way, this is the most dispiriting sentence I've read today.

Nothing personal, SomeoneListeningIn, just the thought that AM would warrant a return just to play some tunes they never got round to last time.

Haha no worries, not sure if you've misinterpreted what I meant. I'm talking about the AM album that they released after they headlined in 2013. The album was pretty huge and I was getting at the fact that it would make sense for them to headline again in 2019, considering their second biggest album to date was released since the last time they headlined. I'm not talking about tunes they didn't get round to playing last time, I'm talking about tunes that hadn't been released last time.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah but tunes like WYOCMWYH, Arabella and One For the Road hadn't been released yet which are all pretty big. AM was much more successful than either of the Muse albums released between their 2010 and 2016 appearances so I wouldn't put it past Glasto booking them next year.

Obviously I wouldn't put it past them either. It's just that Glastonbury set was kind of iconic to the AM era (despite it being utterly torturous even before Miles Kane showed up) so to come back again to celebrate that album a bit more and also do some lounge tunes that get talked over... It's not that I don't think Glastonbury would go for it, it's just fucking boring for everyone.

• Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Obviously I wouldn't put it past them either. It's just that Glastonbury set was kind of iconic to the AM era (despite it being utterly torturous even before Miles Kane showed up) so to come back again to celebrate that album a bit more and also do some lounge tunes that get talked over... It's not that I don't think Glastonbury would go for it, it's just fucking boring for everyone.

Oh yeah I have no doubt there would be more interesting/better acts they could book instead. I was just responding to the suggestion that they haven't got enough new material since they last headlined, when in fact they've released two studio albums - same as Muse between 2010 and 2016. I'm aware that their 2013 set was of the AM era though, so that could be used as a case against them. However, I do still think they're a pretty likely booking.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

I had thought Elton was a nap for the legends slot either next year or the year after.

Watched his Bbc iplayer thing with Annie Mac last night about his revamp greatest hits thing and I’m now going with him getting the top slot on Sunday.

Some nice covers on the new album I thought. Elton with some special guests would be a great way to go out and for me, well deserved. 

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

I had thought Elton was a nap for the legends slot either next year or the year after.

Watched his Bbc iplayer thing with Annie Mac last night about his revamp greatest hits thing and I’m now going with him getting the top slot on Sunday.

Some nice covers on the new album I thought. Elton with some special guests would be a great way to go out and for me, well deserved. 

You got a link for that mate?

22 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Still think Madonna is in with a shout, based on nothing other than Emily following her on Insta.

Would mean the line up was less of a sausage fest too. 

Kendrick - Madonna - P-Mac or Fleet Mac 

Tbh man, I don't think that line-up would be less sausage fest....like them or not, a majority will choose Madonna or FM over nearly anyway else due to paying crazy fees elsewhere.

My personal opinion is we'll only get one of Mad/Mac, we'll get Arctics I feel and at a low fee also because they love it....I feel Arctics are one of those that have made it huge now but they know and get Glasto....a bit like Muse when they said in an interview a while back they'd play it every year if they could. But I mean towards The 1975 actually for price wise over Kendrick as one of those other two will cost a lot!

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

He's only available on the Friday next year btw, and he's in America the following day.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Tbh man, I don't think that line-up would be less sausage fest....like them or not, a majority will choose Madonna or FM over nearly anyway else due to paying crazy fees elsewhere.

My personal opinion is we'll only get one of Mad/Mac, we'll get Arctics I feel and at a low fee also because they love it....I feel Arctics are one of those that have made it huge now but they know and get Glasto....a bit like Muse when they said in an interview a while back they'd play it every year if they could. But I mean towards The 1975 actually for price wise over Kendrick as one of those other two will cost a lot!

How does Madonna in place of Paul McCartney not make it any less of a sausage fest? Do you know what sausage fest means?

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don`t sorry. Watched on the iplayer on my tv. Radio1 thing with annie mac and Reg pulling out vinyls of his favourite tunes plus some of his songs that are covered on the new re-jig album. Worth a watch if you can find it.....in my opinion.

20 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Oh yeah I have no doubt there would be more interesting/better acts they could book instead. I was just responding to the suggestion that they haven't got enough new material since they last headlined, when in fact they've released two studio albums - same as Muse between 2010 and 2016. I'm aware that their 2013 set was of the AM era though, so that could be used as a case against them. However, I do still think they're a pretty likely booking.

exactly, if Muse can be asked back after 2 dogshit albums, and singles that either barely charted, or didn't at all, then Arctic Monkeys, who actually had some top-20 hits between their 2 albums, certainly can. Arctic Money's last 2 albums have far outsold Muse's, even with the latter having a few years headstart...

Would Paolo Nutini be big enough to headline yet or is he just a sub? Hasn't played in a while and should have music coming soonish (will have been 5 years when Glasto rolls around). He last played 3rd down pyramid in 2011, so hasn't even played with Caustic Love yet let alone new stuff, seems like he should at least get the bump to sub if not headline.

14 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Would Paolo Nutini be big enough to headline yet or is he just a sub? Hasn't played in a while and should have music coming soonish (will have been 5 years when Glasto rolls around). He last played 3rd down pyramid in 2011, so hasn't even played with Caustic Love yet let alone new stuff, seems like he should at least get the bump to sub if not headline.

He subbed the Other Stage in 2014.

6 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

exactly, if Muse can be asked back after 2 dogshit albums, and singles that either barely charted, or didn't at all, then Arctic Monkeys, who actually had some top-20 hits between their 2 albums, certainly can. Arctic Money's last 2 albums have far outsold Muse's, even with the latter having a few years headstart...

I wouldn't really class Muse as a valid comparison, given that they've had a whole album and album tour in between the tours that they did Glastonbury on.

If you think about it in Arctic Monkeys terms; if they played next year, it'd be the same gap as between the last two headline slots. Now think about the difference between Arctic Monkeys in 2007 and the band in 2013, then think about what would be different next year. They might even be the ones who feel it's too soon.

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Headliner? Give over you apoth.

I was just going off of his placement in 2011 and how well I remember his last album going down. If he was 3rd down Pyramid then, his last album could have bumped him up to sub and a new one up to headliner. Either way ignore it now

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I wouldn't really class Muse as a valid comparison, given that they've had a whole album and album tour in between the tours that they did Glastonbury on.

If you think about it in Arctic Monkeys terms; if they played next year, it'd be the same gap as between the last two headline slots. Now think about the difference between Arctic Monkeys in 2007 and the band in 2013, then think about what would be different next year. They might even be the ones who feel it's too soon.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make regarding AM

2 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

I'm going for AM, Madonna and Paul McCartney...other stage the streets, QOTSA and the 1975 probably completely wrong though haha.

Other stage beating Pyramid on every headliner, nice. 

Seriously though, for all their faults as a live band (of which there are many) AM would be a strong headliner. Madonna would be a lot of fun but really hope it's not Macca, ultimate dad rock headliner who's almost certainly past it, book Elton instead imo.