2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

But surely you could say this about every potential new headliner, I don't see how this effects Kendrick anymore than say Madonna or Arctic Monkeys or Macca who all would be taking pay cuts to play. The reception of hip hop acts is a good point, but the only recent ones iirc have been Gorillaz (who were a last minute fill in iirc) and Kanye (who lets be honest put on an unusual show).

Re Black Panther, had totally forgotten he had done that lol. I guess he could be working on his own stuff, but again we haven't had any of his usual marketing moves that he normally does when gearing up for a new era (and imo if anything surely Black Panther would have pushed back a new album back as he was focusing on that instead?)

And sure about coming back for a second summer but when was the last time Glasto had a headliner the year after R+L? And if he was coming back to do more paydays wouldnt you get the same argument of why would he take the glasto discount?

I dunno I just don't see it happening next year. As much as I'd love him to (as I couldnt afford his concert price and am busy R+L weekend this year) it'd make more sense as a career move to do his normal pop features next year and then a couple of promo dates next summer before releasing an album in the autumn surely. Glasto can have him in 2020 there aint no rush hes not going anywhere

Yes, you could say it about any potential new headliner. Arctic Monkeys and Macca, however, have both already headlined so we know they've been willing to take the paycut in the past.

Wouldn't call Gorillaz a hip-hop act. I'm talking about Kanye and Jay-Z, and the reaction to Kanye was mostly when he was announced, not due to his performance. There were petitions by middle aged white blokes who'd never even been to Glastonbury to kick him off the bill for a rock band.

And two years ago Glasto had Muse headline the year after headlining Download. No different to booking an act the year after they do R&L.

The thing about the pay cut is that it's usually acts (often British) who understand the cultural significance of the festival in this country and want the prestige that comes from headlining it. Or it's acts who understand (or have had explained to them) the benefits of headlining a festival that's broadcast worldwide and is shown extensively on British television and the commercial impact it can have.

Some, such as FM and the Roses, don't seem to care about the first and don't see the benefit in the latter. Given that hip hop isn't quite held in the same regard as rock/indie in the eyes of the viewing public it's unsure whether the likes of Kendrick would see the benefit.

To me Drake seems a much more likely hip-hop headliner than Kendrick. He's just released a new album and seems to 'understand' the british music scene with the association to BBK (can''t remember the extent of his actual involvement), appearing with Giggs at Reading. He would also fit the 'mega star' act that we've had the past few years with Adele and Ed. I feel like Drake would understand the exposure that Glastonbury gives.

15 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

To me Drake seems a much more likely hip-hop headliner than Kendrick. He's just released a new album and seems to 'understand' the british music scene with the association to BBK (can''t remember the extent of his actual involvement), appearing with Giggs at Reading. He would also fit the 'mega star' act that we've had the past few years with Adele and Ed. I feel like Drake would understand the exposure that Glastonbury gives.

Thing is he's also much bigger than Kendrick and could probably do several nights at Wembley Stadium instead, whereas Kendrick would be more likely to be doing festivals if he's active next Summer.

I think the political aspect will be a selling point for Kendrick as well and in terms of a selling point to the festival audience.

Also, I think you could sell Kendrick in the almost lesser billing Friday slot. If Drake was to play, there’s the possibility he’d have to be centrepiece and I think there would be lots of disappointed people “death of the festival” type. To a Glastonbury crowd, neither of them are going to be Sheeran/Adele type megastars.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

Didn't HUMBLE. drop out of nowhere with DAMN. coming out a few weeks later? I don't think we need any hints of a new album, it can probably come at any time. Totally reasonable to think he could have one in the first half of next year.

Also the annoying format is just cos I know you'll be in your ELEMENT. reading it dental.

Think The Heart Part 4 came out just beforehand but yeah pretty much.

I still get up every day and check if he's released NATION. yet.

3 of Macca, Fleetwood Mac, Arctic Monkeys, Kendrick feels most likely to me right now. Fits the recent Glasto trend of only having huge fuck off megastars headline, too.

Kendrick, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac at Glasto and AM at R&L works. I didn't think they'd have Macca and The Mac in the same year but recent quotes have been suggestive of each one playing, and I guess if they can get both they'd be silly to turn it down.

Arctic Monkeys in addition to these two would be pretty mad in terms of size of acts, and also pretty boring in terms of diversity of genres. Kendrick on the Friday gives much greater balance (and would be way better). Arctic Monkeys can either wait til their next album or do the 50th anniversary.

Glasto: Kendrick Lamar, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac

R&L: Arctic Monkeys + 3 or 4 of The 1975/Stormzy/Twenty One Pilots/Bring Me the Horizon in headline/co-headline structures

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Recall hearing that the Stones got about £750k for Glasto which is well above what they usually pay headliners.

Of course the flipside to that was us ending up with Mumfords as one of the others.

Yup. I bet Mumford would have done it for 200k. Coldplay it was said once got paid 200k.....another time they didn't take a fee

3 hours ago, Odessa said:

Didn't HUMBLE. drop out of nowhere with DAMN. coming out a few weeks later? I don't think we need any hints of a new album, it can probably come at any time. Totally reasonable to think he could have one in the first half of next year.

Also the annoying format is just cos I know you'll be in your ELEMENT. reading it dental.

Yes but he also did a bunch of promo collaborations with Sia, Taylor Swift, Maroon 5 etc.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Ayy so you did make the 'stupid' argument after all...

It's hard not fall into doing this tbh. I just don't really see what money has to do with it at all. Either an act wants to play and will take the cut or they won't, don't really know how to judge that other than making a judgement on the artist. I imagine most acts who want to play Glasto aren't doing it to fit it around a tour or whatever, they're just doing it to headline Glasto and thus could quite easily fly out just to do it.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

His studio albums to date have been roughly two years apart each, with an album of studio outtakes in between the last two, and tours and plenty of features throughout. Why would it now be a good career move to stop working like that? Why would he now be over-stretched?

Also, surely no one cares if he played R+L the year before. And I would think he'd take the paycut for Glasto in the middle of loads of European dates because it fits with the schedule, like quite a lot of international acts do.

I imagine Black Panther took more effort than untitled umastered (idk how involved he was in most of the production of the BP album, but untitled unmastered must have taken very little time I imagine.

And it's just unusual for Glasto to pick up an act thats played somewhere else that recently on the same album, afaik it's quite rare for Glasto not to get an act the first summer that they tour an album (haven't check to see if this is true tbf)

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yes, you could say it about any potential new headliner. Arctic Monkeys and Macca, however, have both already headlined so we know they've been willing to take the paycut in the past.

Wouldn't call Gorillaz a hip-hop act. I'm talking about Kanye and Jay-Z, and the reaction to Kanye was mostly when he was announced, not due to his performance. There were petitions by middle aged white blokes who'd never even been to Glastonbury to kick him off the bill for a rock band.

And two years ago Glasto had Muse headline the year after headlining Download. No different to booking an act the year after they do R&L.

Damn I missed most of that Kanye stuff then, I just remember hearing a relatively large amount of backlash after his performance (tho tbh I ain't suprised). And I guess about Muse but again Glasto got them on the start of a new album so it's slightly more reasonable (again I guess Kdot could have an album out by next year, just not expecting him to rush into doing it but idk, I'm just a random dude on the internet :P)

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Damn I missed most of that Kanye stuff then, I just remember hearing a relatively large amount of backlash after his performance (tho tbh I ain't suprised). And I guess about Muse but again Glasto got them on the start of a new album so it's slightly more reasonable (again I guess Kdot could have an album out by next year, just not expecting him to rush into doing it but idk, I'm just a random dude on the internet :P)

No they didn't. They released Drones, then headlined Download 2015, then over a year later headlined Glasto 2016.

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Arctic Monkeys delivering a set that actually entertains the crowd is a fairly substantial gamble.

They were certainly the most boring headliner at Mad Cool last week (ahead of Pearl Jam, Jack White, QOTSA and Depeche Mode). Better than they were back in 2013, but still.

Surely if AM headlined it would near enough be the same set as last time with just some Tranquility tunes chucked in. Doesn't seem like much point to be honest. Like, even Coldplay, came back with more albums and material (Ghost Stories and that rainbow bollocks album) from when they headlined off the Xylophone album shit.

20 minutes ago, James96 said:

Surely if AM headlined it would near enough be the same set as last time with just some Tranquility tunes chucked in. Doesn't seem like much point to be honest. Like, even Coldplay, came back with more albums and material (Ghost Stories and that rainbow bollocks album) from when they headlined off the Xylophone album shit.

AM hadn't been released when they played in 2013. They did play the two lead singles in their set but it was still a pretty huge album so there's probably enough new material to warrant another headline set.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

AM hadn't been released when they played in 2013. They did play the two lead singles in their set but it was still a pretty huge album so there's probably enough new material to warrant another headline set.

They played three songs off of it. It’d probably turn into six songs off AM now and three off Tranquility Base. Hardly worth inviting them back if the biggest change is that they’re dressed in different gear.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They played three songs off of it. It’d probably turn into six songs off AM now and three off Tranquility Base. Hardly worth inviting them back if the biggest change is that they’re dressed in different gear.

Yeah but tunes like WYOCMWYH, Arabella and One For the Road hadn't been released yet which are all pretty big. AM was much more successful than either of the Muse albums released between their 2010 and 2016 appearances so I wouldn't put it past Glasto booking them next year.