2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I think it's just a matter of time before Kendrick headlines tbh, I just ain't convinced next year fits for him (coonsidering he's doing euro fests like 9 months before Glasto, wouldn't have any new material really etc.)

As I just said, he played R+L 2015 nine months before BST 2016, and that was after Wireless 2015 as well. And he's fairly regular at bringing out new albums.

If people want to make a case against it happening, it's probably best to go with the thing about his price being several millions rather than making up that he's got holiday plans for summer 2019.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

As I just said, he played R+L 2015 nine months before BST 2016, and that was after Wireless 2015 as well. And he's fairly regular at bringing out new albums.

If people want to make a case against it happening, it's probably best to go with the thing about his price being several millions rather than making up that he's got holiday plans for summer 2019.

Who is making anything up? Just speculating, I don't know the guy and I certainly don't know his plans for next year...

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

IIRC tho TPAB must have come out at some point during those tours so he had new material to play, and he never really did a euro tour for TPAB either? As in those 3 dates were the only shows he played in the UK for TPAB?

Compared to DAMN which would be 3? years old, he's already done his own concerts and an extensive euro fest tour. I would agree if the album had just come out recently or if he had an album due out soon (I honestly have no idea about his timeline, but he did a couple of features IIRC leading up to DAMN but has done nothing recently, and unless he is recording while touring then idk if it's coming soon).

EDIT: And yeah what Hugh said, I'd fucking love Kendrick to play, but because everything is so uncertain and relies on him putting an album out soon (which he shows no signs of doing, he's still on the DAMN train) then I'd say it's unlikely. I think the money thing is a stupid argument imo. Every act takes a pay cut to play glasto, you don't do it for the money so IDK why him charging a lot has any effect on whether he plays or not. I'm sure Kanye charges a shit ton but he still did Glasto etc.

Edited by Mattymooz

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Who is making anything up? Just speculating, I don't know the guy and I certainly don't know his plans for next year...

I wasn't being serious with that bit.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

IIRC tho TPAB must have come out at some point during those tours so he had new material to play, and he never really did a euro tour for TPAB either? As in those 3 dates were the only shows he played in the UK for TPAB?

Compared to DAMN which would be 3? years old, he's already done his own concerts and an extensive euro fest tour. I would agree if the album had just come out recently or if he had an album due out soon (I honestly have no idea about his timeline, but he did a couple of features IIRC leading up to DAMN but has done nothing recently, and unless he is recording while touring then idk if it's coming soon).

Nothing recently? He produced the Black Panther album only a few months ago, which spawned two of his biggest hits so far. All done in the middle of touring DAMN. so I am sure he could and probably has done some of his own stuff.

He did a UK tour this time, yeah, but that doesn't he's gonna avoid doing a few weeks in Europe next June/July just to pick up some more paydays. Headliners quite often do two summers, and it's not like his demand is gonna run out.

6 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I think the money thing is a stupid argument imo. Every act takes a pay cut to play glasto, you don't do it for the money so IDK why him charging a lot has any effect on whether he plays or not. I'm sure Kanye charges a shit ton but he still did Glasto etc.

Not at all. Every act who plays Glasto takes a pay cut to do so, but that doesn't mean every act is willing to do so. For instance, Michael said not long ago they haven't managed to get Fleetwood Mac because they ask for too much money.

Just because Kanye took a pay cut to do so, doesn't necessarily mean Kendrick would be willing to. He's supposedly the most expensive headliner R&L have ever booked which means he's probably more money-motivated than most acts. Unless he/his management think the benefits of headlining Glasto outweigh the negatives of the lower price then he won't do it. And based on the reaction every previous hip-hop headliner has gotten, I'm not sure they'll be champing at the bit to do it.

I don't see how you can say it's a stupid argument that not every headline act in the world will be willing to give Glasto a cut-price performance.

9 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Not at all. Every act who plays Glasto takes a pay cut to do so, but that doesn't mean every act is willing to do so. For instance, Michael said not long ago they haven't managed to get Fleetwood Mac because they ask for too much money.

Just because Kanye took a pay cut to do so, doesn't necessarily mean Kendrick would be willing to. He's supposedly the most expensive headliner R&L have ever booked which means he's probably more money-motivated than most acts. Unless he/his management think the benefits of headlining Glasto outweigh the negatives of the lower price then he won't do it. And based on the reaction every previous hip-hop headliner has gotten, I'm not sure they'll be champing at the bit to do it.

I don't see how you can say it's a stupid argument that not every headline act in the world will be willing to give Glasto a cut-price performance.

But surely you could say this about every potential new headliner, I don't see how this effects Kendrick anymore than say Madonna or Arctic Monkeys or Macca who all would be taking pay cuts to play. The reception of hip hop acts is a good point, but the only recent ones iirc have been Gorillaz (who were a last minute fill in iirc) and Kanye (who lets be honest put on an unusual show).

16 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I wasn't being serious with that bit.

Nothing recently? He produced the Black Panther album only a few months ago, which spawned two of his biggest hits so far. All done in the middle of touring DAMN. so I am sure he could and probably has done some of his own stuff.

He did a UK tour this time, yeah, but that doesn't he's gonna avoid doing a few weeks in Europe next June/July just to pick up some more paydays. Headliners quite often do two summers, and it's not like his demand is gonna run out.

Re Black Panther, had totally forgotten he had done that lol. I guess he could be working on his own stuff, but again we haven't had any of his usual marketing moves that he normally does when gearing up for a new era (and imo if anything surely Black Panther would have pushed back a new album back as he was focusing on that instead?)

And sure about coming back for a second summer but when was the last time Glasto had a headliner the year after R+L? And if he was coming back to do more paydays wouldnt you get the same argument of why would he take the glasto discount?

I dunno I just don't see it happening next year. As much as I'd love him to (as I couldnt afford his concert price and am busy R+L weekend this year) it'd make more sense as a career move to do his normal pop features next year and then a couple of promo dates next summer before releasing an album in the autumn surely. Glasto can have him in 2020 there aint no rush hes not going anywhere

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Re Black Panther, had totally forgotten he had done that lol. I guess he could be working on his own stuff, but again we haven't had any of his usual marketing moves that he normally does when gearing up for a new era (and imo if anything surely Black Panther would have pushed back a new album back as he was focusing on that instead?)

And sure about coming back for a second summer but when was the last time Glasto had a headliner the year after R+L? And if he was coming back to do more paydays wouldnt you get the same argument of why would he take the glasto discount?

I dunno I just don't see it happening next year. As much as I'd love him to (as I couldnt afford his concert price and am busy R+L weekend this year) it'd make more sense as a career move to do his normal pop features next year and then a couple of promo dates next summer before releasing an album in the autumn surely. Glasto can have him in 2020 there aint no rush hes not going anywhere

Ayy so you did make the 'stupid' argument after all...

His studio albums to date have been roughly two years apart each, with an album of studio outtakes in between the last two, and tours and plenty of features throughout. Why would it now be a good career move to stop working like that? Why would he now be over-stretched?

Also, surely no one cares if he played R+L the year before. And I would think he'd take the paycut for Glasto in the middle of loads of European dates because it fits with the schedule, like quite a lot of international acts do.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Probably more for the stones but it was 250k to 300k I believe....that might have been passed a long time ago mind

Recall hearing that the Stones got about £750k for Glasto which is well above what they usually pay headliners.

Of course the flipside to that was us ending up with Mumfords as one of the others.

Didn't HUMBLE. drop out of nowhere with DAMN. coming out a few weeks later? I don't think we need any hints of a new album, it can probably come at any time. Totally reasonable to think he could have one in the first half of next year.

Also the annoying format is just cos I know you'll be in your ELEMENT. reading it dental.