2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Talking fests, so not including fallow years...

Coldplay had a 3 year gap between  '02 and '05, then 5 years between '05 and  '11

Muse had 5 year gaps from '04 to '10, and again from '10 to '16

Monkeys had a 5 year gap from '07 to '13

Radiohead had a 5 year gap from '97 to '03

For Florence to play again would be a 3 year gap, so not without precedent, but let's call it unlikely.

Coldplay did, however, release 2 albums in that time, whereas Flo will have only released one.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

If Sprinty Dave hadn't broken his leg and she had subbed as originally planned then a 2019 headline slot would have been a no brainer (maybe she was on the original slate for 2016?).

She wouldn't have subbed 2015 and then headlined 2016 on the back of the same album.

28 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Coldplay did, however, release 2 albums in that time, whereas Flo will have only released one.

She wouldn't have subbed 2015 and then headlined 2016 on the back of the same album.

To be fair I imagine most of their set in 2002 consisted of songs from A Rush of Blood to the Head. Seems pretty mental that they’d let a band who’d only released one album headline, especially now when they only seem to go for huge acts.

34 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Same as Coldplay, Pulp released two albums in that time.

While that's technically true, it doesn't really tell the story. While Different Class came out after Glastonbury 1995, it was certainly the featured album in their set. Then in 1998, they played a lot of the recently released follow up album. Whether they each came out before or after the festival doesn't seem all that relevant as the material was written and being performed - so in the 3 year / 2 festival gap they gained 1 album worth of new material.

Edited by incident

8 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

To be fair I imagine most of their set in 2002 consisted of songs from A Rush of Blood to the Head. Seems pretty mental that they’d let a band who’d only released one album headline, especially now when they only seem to go for huge acts.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

While that's technically true, it doesn't really tell the story. While Different Class came out after Glastonbury 1995, it was certainly the featured album in their set. Then in 1998, they played a lot of the recently released follow up album. Whether they each came out before or after the festival doesn't seem all that relevant as the material was written and being performed - so in the 3 year / 2 festival gap they gained 1 album worth of new material.

Yep I checked both after I posted that and they each played 6 songs from their soon to be released album.

Was assuming it was like Arctic Monkeys in 2013 where they only played 2 or 3 new songs.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:01 PM, thewayiam said:

I don't have to appreciate shit lol, haven't been owned at all and I'm not your mate.

EDIT: Oh I put this is the wrong thread but you can just all enjoy this funny line again. 

Edited by Mash011

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

No chance, they needed to sell out Finsbury to even have a shot. They'd headline Other again or sub but that's it and I'm unsure they would bother now. 

Not many acts at all play Finsbury and don't sell it out.

Interesting that they didn’t sell out Finsbury despite having an absolutely stellar undercard. Especially when you consider they sold out arenas in double quick time last year. That was before the last album dropped though...

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

No chance, they needed to sell out Finsbury to even have a shot. They'd headline Other again or sub but that's it and I'm unsure they would bother now. 

Not many acts at all play Finsbury and don't sell it out.

Dude put the numbers aside (as they seemingly don't work in Nick Cave's favour) Queens would k i l l it. They basically headlined Reading and Leeds, it's not that far fetched.

Also they probably didn't sell out finsbury because London is a shit hole and an absolute trek. It was a good day though.

7 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Dude put the numbers aside (as they seemingly don't work in Nick Cave's favour) Queens would k i l l it. They basically headlined Reading and Leeds, it's not that far fetched.

Also they probably didn't sell out finsbury because London is a shit hole and an absolute trek. It was a good day though.

They sold out the O2 on a Tuesday night in November. So not sure how much it has to do with London, ticket prices weren’t wildly different either, think I paid £55 for the O2 if memory serves.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They sold out the O2 on a Tuesday night in November. So not sure how much it has to do with London, ticket prices weren’t wildly different either, think I paid £55 for the O2 if memory serves.

Yeah I was just being a grumpy northerner unimpressed with my 6th trip down to the big smoke, ignore me.

42 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It did sell out. General Admission did, anyway.

I think they added a few more tickets on the day or just before but yeah, it was definitely sold out earlier in the week. Going by the thread about it on here it seems like if anything they sold too many tickets. Doubt they’ll be around next June anyway but they’re too big to sub now.

I kind of feel like Glasto will hold off booking QotSA for ages until they're old and they can pitch it as a 'legendary act finally headlinin ' kind of thing. I think they will headline eventually I just can't see it happening right at this moment.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

What does Nick Cave have to do with it?

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

I think they added a few more tickets on the day or just before but yeah, it was definitely sold out earlier in the week. Going by the thread about it on here it seems like if anything they sold too many tickets. Doubt they’ll be around next June anyway but they’re too big to sub now.

They aren't too big headline, you need to have interest to sell that venue out much quicker than that to do so....a headliner has usually sold it in one morning and put a 2nd show on sale, it's only 40k.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yes. Very.

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Although I'm not sure you'll be a fan easty.

Cheers fellas. I do not think I have much choice in whether I watch them or not, so I may as well make the most of it.