2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

33 minutes ago, Havors said:

Could the Rolling Stones be back on? will they still be touring? 

It took about 40 years to happen the first time, I don't see it ever happening again.

The Stones are renowned for chasing the bucks, Glasto dug deep to pay them a fee they'd usually turn down.

They finally got booked, smashed it and moved on. I don't think either the band or the festival will feel the need to repeat.

58 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can't see Florence doing it next year, far too soon to have her back. She'll only have one extra album from the last time she played.

I feel it shouldn't be a case of how long between headline sets in terms of years, but how many albums have been released in between. An act should have act least three albums of new stuff before being asked back.

Yeah I totally get your point... I would however say that a lot of headliners are not booked on how many albums they have had since the last time. If you awesome and you have a full sets worth of bangers then you can headline I think. 

Saying that... you could be right with Florence being too soon. Whats the record for shortest gap between headline? Coldplay? they are on every other year? haha :)

49 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

It took about 40 years to happen the first time, I don't see it ever happening again.

The Stones are renowned for chasing the bucks, Glasto dug deep to pay them a fee they'd usually turn down.

They finally got booked, smashed it and moved on. I don't think either the band or the festival will feel the need to repeat.

Having seen the Stones again last month I'd love to have them back, they were incredible.

You're right though, there's nothing to be gained on either side by having them back.

Talking fests, so not including fallow years...

Coldplay had a 3 year gap between  '02 and '05, then 5 years between '05 and  '11

Muse had 5 year gaps from '04 to '10, and again from '10 to '16

Monkeys had a 5 year gap from '07 to '13

Radiohead had a 5 year gap from '97 to '03

For Florence to play again would be a 3 year gap, so not without precedent, but let's call it unlikely.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

Coldplay had a 3 year gap between  '02 and '05, then 5 years between '05 and  '11

For Florence to play again would be a 3 year gap, so not without precedent, but let's call it unlikely.

You've missed a more relevant precedent - Pulp with a 3 year gap from 95 to 98. But 96 was a fallow, so that's only a 2 festival gap.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
precedence ->precedent

9 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah I totally get your point... I would however say that a lot of headliners are not booked on how many albums they have had since the last time. If you awesome and you have a full sets worth of bangers then you can headline I think. 

Saying that... you could be right with Florence being too soon. Whats the record for shortest gap between headline? Coldplay? they are on every other year? haha :)

If Sprinty Dave hadn't broken his leg and she had subbed as originally planned then a 2019 headline slot would have been a no brainer (maybe she was on the original slate for 2016?).

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Different bands admittedly but Damon Albarn is the only man in festival history to headline back to back nights - Blur Sunday 09 and Gorillaz Friday 10.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You've missed a more relevant precedence - Pulp with a 3 year gap from 95 to 98. But 96 was a fallow, so that's only a 2 festival gap.

Very much so, especially given the bump up to headliner status that they both had.  A fair point Mr Hats.

New album is also coming out soon, so not one to rule out.  But I still personally think unlikely.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Different bands admittedly but Damon Albarn is the only man in festival history to headline back to back nights - Blur Sunday 09 and Gorillaz Friday 10.

Pub quiz factoid if ever I heard one

EDIT: except for Elvis Costello in '87 and '89.

Edited by Quark

2 minutes ago, Homersexual said:

My money’s on Madonna for Saturday headliner next year. It’s exciting to think that The Kinks and Fleetwood Mac are also distinct possibilities at the moment. If I miss out on tickets next year I’m not sure what I’ll do.

Yeah, it's good to have some possibilities, not that you'd want all of them on one weekend.

43 minutes ago, Quark said:

Excellent bit of info there! We can put her on the unlikely list then. 

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

Very much so, especially given the bump up to headliner status that they both had.  A fair point Mr Hats.

New album is also coming out soon, so not one to rule out.  But I still personally think unlikely.

oooooooh really

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Having seen the Stones again last month I'd love to have them back, they were incredible.

You're right though, there's nothing to be gained on either side by having them back.

I loved them on the Pyramid, and I loved them in Southampton last month. In theory* I'd be over the moon if they headlined again but I just don't see it happening.

*But there is a big part of me that thinks that box it ticked too. I'd rather see the opportunity given to bands that are on their way up or have just reached their peak, even if in future years it is seen as 'pulling a Mumford' 

Could see them trying to hold Mac back for 2020 for the big one potentially?

2019: Arctic Monkeys / Madonna / Kendrick Lamar?

2018: Elton John / Fleetwood Mac / Paul McCartney?

I dunno though, Mac Madge & Elton all seem like reasonable shouts for the next 2 years as they've all never played before and are all getting on a bit.