2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

52 minutes ago, alexmckenzie said:

With The War on Drugs having announced a headline date at the 02 Arena in December, what do we think of their positioning for next year? Potential JP headliner? Second/third from top on the Other?

It probably puts them on a par with Tame Impala and The National, so Pyramid sub.

14 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Yeah I thought Dental was on a mad one but after seeing the o2 announcement it could be the kind of dumb thing Glasto would do. Not slating the band but it would be a terrible booking, worse than putting The National on there. Give em the Other instead.

No. Give the muggles an act on the Other.

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

Why would you want a pyrmaid sub slot full of sleepy chatters waiting for Arctic Monkeys to come on over a night time Other Stage packed with people who like the band my dude.

Tame Impala and The National had  loads of fans down the front. The former was a triumph, the latter tanked their setlist. I don’t really think it’s so big an issue and it’d be devastating to see the festival weed out all the variety because people not interested in being there can’t clap along.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Tame Impala and The National had  loads of fans down the front. The former was a triumph, the latter tanked their setlist. I don’t really think it’s so big an issue and it’d be devastating to see the festival weed out all the variety because people not interested in being there can’t clap along.

Tame went well because they have big accessible pop songs that people can dance to. The war on drugs, not so much. They'd bomb horrendously. 

Might add that Beck had everything you'd need for a good sub slot yet by all accounts went down terribly. 

10 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Tame went well because they have big accessible pop songs that people can dance to. The war on drugs, not so much. They'd bomb horrendously. 

Might add that Beck had everything you'd need for a good sub slot yet by all accounts went down terribly. 

All the accessible pop fans were at the Other Stage. Tame Impala had their fans there having a great time.

Beck played Sunday between Coldplay and Ellie Goulding so I think that’s a little more of a static picnic blanket crowd than would be anticipated anywhere next year.

edit: The War on Drugs aren’t exactly complex either. It’s hands in the air, arena rock stuff. Just particularly good examples. I think they’d be okay for casuals.

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Let's see what the ticket sales are saying to it.  They could well be biting off more than they can chew.

I get the impression they might be a little bit. They've already played over here a few times since the album release and the album didn't exactly go catastrophic. It'll do okay but not gonna be near to a sell out, even with such a good support act (who I doubt a lot of War on Drugs fans care about tbf...)

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Let's see what the ticket sales are saying to it.  They could well be biting off more than they can chew.

Don’t think that matters right much. Just says about what level they’re at. It’s exactly what The National did at the end of the TWFM album tour.

12 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Paddy power always seem to have Glasto odds with no actual link to them.

They replied to me on Twitter saying they aren't currently offering those odd, convenient. Said they might wanna check with the nme then because that article is all over the place

Shame because if I can get Arctic Monkeys at 4/1 to any day, there is a hefty sum going on that. No bookmaker in their right mind will offer that though 

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Are these Paddy Power odds doing the rounds real? Every time I read about Glastonbury betting I can never find it on the boomakers website, so annoying

Almost never.

Clickbait websites (which sadly seems to be far too many of them these days) know that Glastonbury equals page views, so they'll put up a "story" based on the flimsiest reasons. Especially Somerset Live.

Bookies know that putting out a press release with a Glastonbury angle* has a good chance of getting picked up as it gives the clickbait websites another excuse to put up a Glastonbury "story".

To be fair, that's not just limited to Glastonbury, the amount of not-actually-news shit that gets published is depressing.

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Don’t think that matters right much. Just says about what level they’re at. It’s exactly what The National did at the end of the TWFM album tour.

And they played to a half empty O2 and tanked on the 'mid. 

That said, somewhere non headlinery on the 'mid is still probably the best place for them. Donald Drug and the lads are categorically not the world's most exciting live act.

14 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think after their performance at All Points East there might be a bit of a hype around their live show that'll help push some tickets. That it's a one-off arena show might help as well. 

11 hours ago, mufcok said:

They replied to me on Twitter saying they aren't currently offering those odd, convenient. Said they might wanna check with the nme then because that article is all over the place

Shame because if I can get Arctic Monkeys at 4/1 to any day, there is a hefty sum going on that. No bookmaker in their right mind will offer that though 

I'd wack a lot on

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And they played to a half empty O2 and tanked on the 'mid. 

That said, somewhere non headlinery on the 'mid is still probably the best place for them. Donald Drug and the lads are categorically not the world's most exciting live act.

I don’t think TWOD will sell out the O2 either, but it obviously wasn’t a prerequisite.

Recent history suggests an act like them will be chosen to sub the Pyramid. I’m open to better suggestions, but if people are just gonna look at R+L/IOW lineups and choose three inoffensive subs from there then they can get to fuck.

32 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

We all know the Pyramid subs are going to be Disclosure, Lauryn Hill and TWOD.

Those three, Iggy Pop and Bastile seem the most likely contenders at the moment for me. Suppose they could all end up playing anyway.

Not too sure how this War on Drugs gig will sell. Obviously The National never sold it out and they seem to have a fairly dedicated fanbase, whereas you don’t really see too many War on Drugs obsessives do you? Saying that, I can’t see it being a disaster.