2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Just now, Mash011 said:

I mean, he probably wouldn't take a lower slot. But Glasto aint gonna be offering him 3rd Pyramid either.

If they could get him in that slot they absolutely would. I would think they'd be happy to have him sub. It's just that he's clearly not interested in playing support for anyone. 

He still sells out arenas, still sells albums in massive volumes, and he will carry on doing that for the foreseeable future. Anyone suggesting that because he plays events headlined by Friendly Fries or whoever means that he's only as big as those acts and could only attract the same level of crowd is clearly out of touch with reality.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Except for U2, who he supported last year.

He loves them though. He said he wouldn't be supporting anyone anymore, after he subbed Stone Roses in 2012, but he went with U2 last year. Maybe he's changed his attitude towards it, with his stock not being as high as he might have expected now. I wonder if he would have supported Rolling Stones this summer, if asked. I don't think he would snub lower than headliner at Glastonbury anymore. The current setlist he is doing would go down like a lead balloon as a headliner. 

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Except for U2, who he supported last year.

Forgot about that one. Perhaps he'd support the right act then, like, but I think the ego is definitely in play when he could make a bunch of money supporting Kasabian or Kings of Leon at IOW or R+L but chooses to be the star of the show at Tramlines or YNOT.

Edited by dentalplan

I dunno if that's ego so much as knowing that being a support act sucks at more or less any level.

All his current demotion to smaller fests demonstrates is that he's enjoying playing for the sake of it regardless of crowdsize and doesn't really seem to care about the money.

Which again, to my mind, doesn't scream Oasis reunion.

Noel Gallagher in the JP would be ridiculous. Depending on who he was up against he could draw ridiculous amounts of people to the stage.

I imagine he'd be 2nd or 3rd down Pyramid if he played. Despite his stock falling he's still as big as acts who've played those slots recently - The National, Beck, Weller as subs; several third down acts.

16 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Noel Gallagher in the JP would be ridiculous. Depending on who he was up against he could draw ridiculous amounts of people to the stage.

I imagine he'd be 2nd or 3rd down Pyramid if he played. Despite his stock falling he's still as big as acts who've played those slots recently - The National, Beck, Weller as subs; several third down acts.

no worse than the killers would it ? they would just shut the field again 

19 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Nah come on. I'm not president of the Noel Gallagher fan club (cos I'm vice president) but the man is an absolute unit and even his latest, apparently commercially disappointing album gets to no. 1 and sells copies quicker than Foo Fighters, Kasabian, Muse, etc. so to say he's as big as a third down act or the classic ropey sub choice is daft. And this is a guy who, by rights, should barely be selling albums at all because people generally go to his gigs to hear old songs by his old band.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

no worse than the killers would it ? they would just shut the field again 

No probably not but they also wouldn't put The Killers in the JP for an announced set.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nah come on. I'm not president of the Noel Gallagher fan club (cos I'm vice president) but the man is an absolute unit and even his latest, apparently commercially disappointing album gets to no. 1 and sells copies quicker than Foo Fighters, Kasabian, Muse, etc. so to say he's as big as a third down act or the classic ropey sub choice is daft. And this is a guy who, by rights, should barely be selling albums at all because people generally go to his gigs to hear old songs by his old band.

Well yeah my point was that he's not gonna be playing a slot lower than that (like JP headline), and listing the smallest acts who've played those slots is just proof of that. I'm not saying he's not as big as other subs or anything.

I think Noel was hoping his last album would turn out to be some sort of Achtung, Baby. Moved away from his traditional sound and thought it would go stella. Turns it it didn't (I think it's really good but I know nothing).

If anything, his next step will probably be to release something that's all but Oasis in name, he could knock out that kind of stuff as quickly as he can find his copy of Revolver. Get the singles right, play a few dates with loads of Oasis songs included in the setlist and he's back up the ladder with the beer throwing masses.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, Gucci Piggy said:

spot on. he's most definitely a Pyramid-sub, well-known name with some recent hits and old Oasis classics to entertain the pyramid field casual masses. way more mainstream than many recent Pyramid subs.

I saw him at the local enormodome and enjoyed the gig. Not convinced anyone over the age of 35 needs to hear either of them sing Wonderwall, DLBIA, Half the World Away and the like again mind, but hey ho.

I preferred the solo tracks to be fair, Dead in the Water was fantastic.

15 minutes ago, Badlands said:

I saw him at the local enormodome and enjoyed the gig. Not convinced anyone over the age of 35 needs to hear either of them sing Wonderwall, DLBIA, Half the World Away and the like again mind, but hey ho.

I preferred the solo tracks to be fair, Dead in the Water was fantastic.

I'd rather listen to him play stuff like Cast No Shadow, Listen Up, Don't Go Away etc. Have no interest in hearing most of the Oasis songs he plays live these days. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Person says "Oo Michael, how about my fave band from when I was a teenager for the Legends slot?"

Michael says "Oo... that's a good idea"

Michael thinks "Fuck off. They were shite then and are even worse now"

Somerset Live thinks "Ad revenue"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3