2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I’m sure I’d have a stronger argument for it if he comes back with two nights at the O2, a chart single and a nice haircut.

Plus Stone Roses, despite being British and all playing Glastonbury at some point, never took the Pyramid headline slot on their reunion. Oasis could do the same.

The Stone Roses not headlining is a strange one  - had they wanted they could have squeezed it in between their stadium gigs , they had a number of years to do it not just one tiny window of opportunity.

Would have been nice for them to have their first show back at Glasto.

So either the offer was not there from Glastonbury or the band did not fancy it .

1 minute ago, ivan said:

The Stone Roses not headlining is a strange one  - had they wanted they could have squeezed it in between their stadium gigs , they had a number of years to do it not just one tiny window of opportunity.

Would have been nice for them to have their first show back at Glasto.

So either the offer was not there from Glastonbury or the band did not fancy it .

Think we can safely assume their reunion was all about the £££ and Glastonbury just isn’t where you go for that. I can’t imagine a world where they weren’t asked, but they undoubtedly turned it down in favour of higher pay checks.

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think we can safely assume their reunion was all about the £££ and Glastonbury just isn’t where you go for that. I can’t imagine a world where they weren’t asked, but they undoubtedly turned it down in favour of higher pay checks.

The fact that they did V and IOW (twice was it?) tells you all you need to know.

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Stone Roses never made any money in their initial outing.  Royalties from Morning Glory alone mean that Noel mever needs to worry for money ever again.

He's fucking mentored by Paul 'The Top Mod' Weller, the #1 example of never reforming.

Noel's dropping like a stone down through the festival lineups and I doubt he'll ever get anywhere near a decent billing again without a little help. He's a proud man and won't fancy playing third down the Kendall lineup in a couple of years time.

I'm willing to bet that there will be a reformation within the next three years.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Noel's dropping like a stone down through the festival lineups and I doubt he'll ever get anywhere near a decent billing again without a little help. He's a proud man and won't fancy playing third down the Kendall lineup in a couple of years time.

I'm willing to bet that there will be a reformation within the next three years.

So going crawling to Liam seems unlikely, particularly when he's as rich as Croesus.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

So going crawling to Liam seems unlikely, particularly when he's as rich as Croesus.

Which will hurt him more? Making peace with Liam or watching on as his brother headlines festivals while he is schlepping around the Berkshire County Fayre?

I've never met the man but Noel strikes me as someone whose ego wouldn't allow that, he'd make peace if it allowed him to be King of the Mods once more.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Which will hurt him more? Making peace with Liam or watching on as his brother headlines festivals while he is schlepping around the Berkshire County Fayre?

I've never met the man but Noel strikes me as someone whose ego wouldn't allow that, he'd make peace if it allowed him to be King of the Mods once more.

He already chose the life of headlining any old field jamboree over sub slots at major festivals, didn’t he? And he will always have a place at those I reckon.

Liam’s at his peak popularity right now anyway, and he knows it else he wouldn’t have crammed four years of moneyspinning slots into one summer. Could easily be the case that he’s either doing the same as Noel in a few years or nothing at all.

I always get the feeling that of the two Noel has more songwriting / musical ability, but Liam's got the charisma (although it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest) to draw the crowd.

Noel's got a steady but slow-burn project on the go, Liam pops in and out with a bang.  Liam will fade again while Noel's still plodding along.

Of course, put the two together and, for better or worse, you get Oasis.

Liam should definitely fix the roof whilst the sun's shining cos I agree that his current popularity probably won't maintain. 

Noel knew when he walked offstage at Knebworth that it was all downhill from that point on.  He's 'mod'-elled himself on Paul 'Modbod' Weller since day one and I don't see why he wouldnt continue to do so given that he's pretty much the 'mod'-el of musical integrity in the face of commercial pressure.

56 minutes ago, Quark said:

Noel's stock is a strange thing. Who Built The Moon is a solid album and arguably his best so far, but just doesn't seem to be as commercially well received.

Noel Gallagher didn't make his millions making interesting, progressive rock. It's not surprising his hoarde of gammon have turned their nose up at it.

By Glastonbury 2019, Noel will be finished his album cycle. It seems like it's gonna be a hell of a gap, from his first album, to when he finally appears on the lineup. He used to speak about how he'd love to headline. You'd think he would be looking at 2021/22 for an album to align with the festival, and god knows where his stock will be then. I'd probably guess 3rd top on the Pyramid by then, unless his next album was full of dadrock and flag wavers. Weller only got that slot in 2015, because of The Who. Where would Weller have been on the lineup, if he was booked on his own?

9 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

By Glastonbury 2019, Noel will be finished his album cycle. It seems like it's gonna be a hell of a gap, from his first album, to when he finally appears on the lineup. He used to speak about how he'd love to headline. You'd think he would be looking at 2021/22 for an album to align with the festival, and god knows where his stock will be then. I'd probably guess 3rd top on the Pyramid by then, unless his next album was full of dadrock and flag wavers. Weller only got that slot in 2015, because of The Who. Where would Weller have been on the lineup, if he was booked on his own?

Noel will have fallen further down than that by 2021 tbh. Potentially relegated to the Other Stage. Maybe even a JP headliner or something.

Edited by Mash011