2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

32 minutes ago, henry bear said:

The band (minus Stipe) have played together a few times, and they all reunited (not to play though) to promote the AFTP reissue last year. Can’t remember who, but someone in the industry (promoter?) reckoned it could happen. Stipe maintains it won’t though. Yes, 15 years since they last played GF, but only 7 since they split.

Promotors are there to promote and would big up any reunion .

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

let's say Madonna plays, Daft Punk play, Elton and Fleetwood Mac play or retire - where does that leave us for future headliners? 

So in that case its not really

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

a nicer thought than anyone else we're likely to get.

If there's a premium tier of huge one offs who've never played (say Madge or Mac, mibbe Swizzle, mibbe Rihanna) a secondary tier of huge acts that could possibly play again (say Queen Bey, Macca, Blur, Pulp or Coldplay) and a tertiary tier of bright future hopes (Kendrick, mibbe Stormzy) then the Nickster's in the quarternary layer of last resorts alongside the also rans like Biffy Clyro and never should have runs like Mumford and Kasabian. 

I dont think its as unlikely as it was 4 or 5 years ago, but it wouldnt be a premium booking.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

The band (minus Stipe) have played together a few times, and they all reunited (not to play though) to promote the AFTP reissue last year. Can’t remember who, but someone in the industry (promoter?) reckoned it could happen. Stipe maintains it won’t though. Yes, 15 years since they last played GF, but only 7 since they split.

Thing with REM is that they split on perfectly good terms, which to me makes a reunion way less likely.  There's no unfinished business and no rows that created roadblocks and could be resolved to pave the way for reunion. 

31 minutes ago, battleborn said:

It's fairly unlikely as Stipe seems to be happier now with not being in the banned, but you get the feeling if Stipe went "I wanna do R.E,M again" everybody else in the band would jump. As someone who never got round to seeing them while they were still together, I'm optimistically hopeful I might see them one day.

Thing with that is that Stipe never upped and left while the others wanted to keep going (a la Weller and The Jam) so it's not necessarily a case of Stipe clicking his fingers and the others jumping at the chance. Pretty much everything they did since year 1 was as a collective.  When Berry retired due to health / life issues they took the collective decision, with his full blessing, to continue, but from the interviews I've read the others were fully set to call it quits if necessary.

Of all the big names that get banded around for unlikely reunions they're the only ones I'd genuinely care about happening, but because of the way they approached retirement as consistently as everything else they did I also think it's one of the least likely.

I'd love to be proved wrong, and if they do I hope you get to see them @battleborn as they're one of the best big live acts I've ever seen.

38 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Yeah that's bollocks. Metallica are a much bigger band than Nick Cave. I'm frankly baffled by that comparison. Metallica are one of the biggest metal bands on the planet and have 17 top 40 singles. Nick Cave has less than a handful of Top 40 singles and some albums that seem to have done better than they by rights should have recently, he'd still be a weak headliner. 

Well your going to be enjoying this argument until you die, because he will never headline. 

I mean for the Glastonbury crowd it'd be about the same, they're both pretty niche. I suppose more will have heard of Metallica in the first place. The Arcade Fire comparison is probably better. 

What it comes down to is because I spend every day on a Glastonbury forum all year round, including fallow years, I feel more entitled to get what I want than everyone else who pays the same as me. Wow, seeing that written down has made me step back and realise... The Cribs should also headline. I'd be great at this festival lark.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

R.E.M. could reform couldn't they? They didn't fall out badly did they? I just thought they decided it had run its course. It doesn't seem particularly impossible, even if there's no signs that they actually will.

Not that I've been following them particularly closely. Am I missing something?

They're a strange one, as you say they didn't fall out, they just decided that they had had enough. Towards the end they were very much playing to diminishing returns, not selling out, stadium downgrades, etc (even though their final album, Collapse Into Now, was actually very good) and I think they decided it was no longer worth it.

They don't seem the types to be motivated by the massive paycheck a potential reformation would bring either - you can bet it's already been offered too. They might be the sort to stay split just out of principal.

I just don't think they see it like that dude.  They were going for 30+ years all the way from a garage band up to (arguably) the biggest band in the world at their peak, and then back down a bit again.

They know full well the hype, crowds and money that would come with a reunion, but I just don't think that's what will motivate them.  If they do it'll be purely because they want to do it for themselves.

Hugh and Calgon nailed it.  They don't need the cash, and they sure as hell won't be pressured into it!

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not even sure what their incentive is either.

Money. Oodles of it.

Considering Liam is a bona fide star again and Noel is struggling (despite releasing his best album as a solo artist) comparatively it's not hard to imagine him caving in to the pressure to reform.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So in that case its not really

If there's a premium tier of huge one offs who've never played (say Madge or Mac, mibbe Swizzle, mibbe Rihanna) a secondary tier of huge acts that could possibly play again (say Queen Bey, Macca, Blur, Pulp or Coldplay) and a tertiary tier of bright future hopes (Kendrick, mibbe Stormzy) then the Nickster's in the quarternary layer of last resorts alongside the also rans like Biffy Clyro and never should have runs like Mumford and Kasabian. 

I dont think its as unlikely as it was 4 or 5 years ago, but it wouldnt be a premium booking.

I’d say they’re in a very different basket seeing as they will no doubt be regrettable headline choices in a few years time whereas Nick has already stood the test of time and is now at the peak of his powers.

Like if he hadn’t decided to play a few times already, he’d probably be in the same air as Depeche Mode - who sell arenas at a slower rate but people will be selling their grans to see headline the Pyramid when the apocalypse you’ve described of Glastonbury solely headlined by pop headliners down on their luck flanked by four-time repeats comes.

Edited by dentalplan

I don't see Oasis happening now to be honest, within the past 12 months it's got far too personal. Liam would do it tomorrow, I'm sure but I'd be extremely shocked if Noel agreed to do it at this point

Then again, there is the case of John Squire and the Roses so never say never.. I guess

50 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’d say they’re in a very different basket seeing as they will no doubt be regrettable headline choices in a few years time whereas Nick has already stood the test of time and is now at the peak of his powers.

Like if he hadn’t decided to play a few times already, he’d probably be in the same air as Depeche Mode - who sell arenas at a slower rate but people will be selling their grans to see headline the Pyramid when the apocalypse you’ve described of Glastonbury solely headlined by pop headliners down on their luck flanked by four-time repeats comes.

Lets see where were are in the run up to 2021. I don't see it in the next two years but if he's only consolidated his current position with another strong record then he'll maybe be looking like a more viable prospect.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Lets see where were are in the run up to 2021. I don't see it in the next two years but if he's only consolidated his current position with another strong record then he'll maybe be looking like a more viable prospect.

Yeah I’m sure I’d have a stronger argument for it if he comes back with two nights at the O2, a chart single and a nice haircut.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Stone Roses never made any money in their initial outing.  Royalties from Morning Glory alone mean that Noel mever needs to worry for money ever again.

He's fucking mentored by Paul 'The Top Mod' Weller, the #1 example of never reforming.

Plus Stone Roses, despite being British and all playing Glastonbury at some point, never took the Pyramid headline slot on their reunion. Oasis could do the same.