2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

18 minutes ago, battleborn said:

I wonder however if Bon Jovi could play, or are they too cheesy? A lot of their songs were played in DJ sets this weekend and got rapturous receptions from a pretty young crowd, so I'm pretty sure they'd draw a variety of ages to Glastonbury's main stage. 

I doubt it, although that could just be wishful thinking.

16 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Anyway back on topic, Guns N Roses are definitely not headlining Glasto any time soon. I apologise for banging that drum for the past few weeks. After seeing them at Download, you can be certain of that fact. Michael Eavis wouldn't bend to their infamous rider (looking down traffic, porcelain toilets and other rock n roll bollocks). Also I'm pretty sure most Glasto crowd would be struggling through their covers band and soloing shtick just waiting for them to play there own stuff, if even Download are getting bored of your guitar noodling an cover band shtick your doing it too much. 

Just had a look at the setlist, take out the covers (apart from the ones they're known for) and it looks pretty good. I didn't realise they'd started doing Coma, maybe that's why Izzy didn't re-join, too many chords, man.

"Slash has this song, it's called 'Coma', and it's fuckin' 15 minutes long. And I still don't know it, man. I have to take a special chord chart with me whenever we play it. There's like 50 chords at the end of it and I just can't follow them."

3 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

That was an odd moment. Was Justin Vernon having technical problems or something, because they began and then almost immediately abandoned Hold My Liquor. 

I'm a huge Kanye fan and even I used Justin Vernon's time on stage as a piss break (and I never do that with headliners). Definite low stretch in the middle of his set there.

6 hours ago, dave0h said:

Checking back on Kanye's setlist after seeing so many people comment on the flow of his set. Justin Vernon came out for a few songs?? I did not know that. How did that go over? 

About as terribly as you can possibly imagine. Justin stood at the back of the stage and mumbled in auto tune for a while, doing the very long intro to Hold My Liquor, which when it finally kicked in Kanye promptly forgot the words and decided to can the whole song. It was bizarrely awful, even Lost In The World fell completely flat.

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

About as terribly as you can possibly imagine. Justin stood at the back of the stage and mumbled in auto tune for a while, doing the very long intro to Hold My Liquor, which when it finally kicked in Kanye promptly forgot the words and decided to can the whole song. It was bizarrely awful, even Lost In The World fell completely flat.

Why haven't you been banned for bullying yet?

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2018 at 9:01 AM, russycarps said:

Nick Cave and the bad seeds have sold out their day at the APE festival with ease, while the others are struggling to sell tickets.

This is proof they are obviously now big enough to headline glastonbury. And of course the music speaks for itself. When was the last time the festival booked an act at the top of their game? 

Though the dumb fucks will undoubtedly book some utter rot like arctic monkeys and taylor swift.

I think Nick Cave and the bad seeds are a bit stuck in limbo between sub headlining and headlining, but I reckon they would be a great sub headliner. They are obviously bigger than the other two headliners of the APE concerts (Catfish and The National) but if you look at Rock Werchter festival in Belgium, Nick Cave atb are playing just below Arctic Monkeys. Also Nick Cave isn’t as well know as other past headliners (Radiohead, Ed Sheeran). I think performance wise he could be a phenomenal headliner but with Glastonbury bringing in so many different people with all sorts of musical tastes, some people would find it a bit underwealming if he was announced as a headliner.

21 minutes ago, battleborn said:

I honestly don't get where Nick Cave being headliner level has come from? I don't understand it all and would be a disappointing headliner imho.

Apparently he's been selling out bigger venues than normal recently, so on the quiet he's actually quite a bit bigger at the moment than you might think. I think it's bonkers myself. If he headlines, I'll eat both my hats.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's a nicer thought than anyone else we're likely to get.

I wouldnt have said so. I like the Cavester as much as the next spooky swamp-dwelling wampyre, but he tours regularly and up until a few years back was still just playing the academies. 

Most people who want to see him must have done so, several times.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I wouldnt have said so. I like the Cavester as much as the next spooky swamp-dwelling wampyre, but he tours regularly and up until a few years back was still just playing the academies. 

Most people who want to see him must have done so, several times.

I don't think that's true. The added factor of him receiving more recognition is that he receives more exposure as well. This place is full of youngsters (including yours truly yep) that have gotten into old Nick in the past few years and seen him for the first time, and I think that'll continue for a bit too.

As I keep alluding to though; let's say Madonna plays, Daft Punk play, Elton and Fleetwood Mac play or retire - where does that leave us for future headliners? There's no landscape that everyone is happy with. If people still want legendary headliners then why not Nick Cave who will have forty years of material in the back pocket and is selling out bigger venues than ever? Beats The Killers headlining again just because no young band has stepped up and taken the headline slot off them.

2 minutes ago, battleborn said:

No it's not.

What's really needed as a few reformations; whole host of perfect bands for Glasto that just need the remaining members to get their shit together and stop hating each other:

1. Pink Floyd
  2. Led Zepellin
  3. The Jam
  4. Oasis
  5. ABBA
  6. The Smiths
  7. Talking Heads
  8. R.E.M

That is a better demonstration of my point than that whole post I just wrote.

8 minutes ago, battleborn said:

No it's not.

What's really needed as a few reformations; whole host of perfect bands for Glasto that just need the remaining members to get their shit together and stop hating each other:

1. Pink Floyd
  2. Led Zepellin
  3. The Jam
  4. Oasis
  5. ABBA
  6. The Smiths
  7. Talking Heads
  8. R.E.M

Take away Oasis as a possible and ABBA  who have made some new music but won’t tour I think , you are left with  6 acts that you can be sure won’t reform .

24 minutes ago, ivan said:

Take away Oasis as a possible and ABBA  who have made some new music but won’t tour I think , you are left with  6 acts that you can be sure won’t reform .

R.E.M. could reform couldn't they? They didn't fall out badly did they? I just thought they decided it had run its course. It doesn't seem particularly impossible, even if there's no signs that they actually will.

Not that I've been following them particularly closely. Am I missing something?

12 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

The 1975, Stormzy and King Kendrick (and maybe Tame Impala) are the only young artists I can see taking up the mantle any time soon.

Maybe but I feel like that's only because we've had ten years or so where Glastonbury managed to tick off loads of names off "the list" and our expectations for headliners are unreasonably high. That low a number of possible new headliners (even adding the bands that would undoubtedly be in front of Tame Impala in the queue) just isn't sustainable.

I recall there being plans to build up other new parts of the site and move the focus away from the Pyramid headliners anyway, so that would hopefully allow for a bit more risk and not just sticking with past headliners because they are already headliners.

1 hour ago, battleborn said:

No it's not.

1. Pink Floyd
  2. Led Zepellin
  3. The Jam
  4. Oasis
  5. ABBA
  6. The Smiths
  7. Talking Heads
  8. R.E.M

dentalplan talked of what's likely. None of these are in the short term:

Pink Floyd - Gilmour made it clear that 'The Endless River' was a full stop, and Live 8 was the perfect live finale. Waters and Gilmour not talking again.

Led Zeppelin - Plant not interested, Page given up hope. Don't know why you keep mentioning them.

The Jam - Weller not interested in the slightest.

Oasis - pretty sure they will reform at some point, but to tour the UK's stadia, rather than GF.

ABBA - no chance. Maybe the holograms.

The Smiths - not a chance of a full reformation. A few years ago I'd have said a Morrissey/Marr collaboration a possibility but not since Morrissey's recent political outbursts.

Talking Heads - can't see Byrne needing or wanting to do this when he's now playing venues bigger than he managed with Talking Heads.

REM - interesting one. They always said they'd never reform but the recent mood music suggests there could be hope. If so, GF could be a possibility, but I'd suggest it's too soon.

27 minutes ago, henry bear said:

REM - interesting one. They always said they'd never reform but the recent mood music suggests there could be hope. If so, GF could be a possibility, but I'd suggest it's too soon.

What recently has given hope? Have I missed anything?

Also how do you mean too soon? Isn’t it about 15 years already since they last did it?

6 hours ago, strummer77 said:

What recently has given hope? Have I missed anything?

Also how do you mean too soon? Isn’t it about 15 years already since they last did it?

The band (minus Stipe) have played together a few times, and they all reunited (not to play though) to promote the AFTP reissue last year. Can’t remember who, but someone in the industry (promoter?) reckoned it could happen. Stipe maintains it won’t though. Yes, 15 years since they last played GF, but only 7 since they split.